Forget the 14 day rule !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sspeed

MB Enthusiast
Car
2006 CLK320 CDi
The sun is shining I have just washed my car and all is/was well with the world...
Then I opened a letter and noticed the "Cumbria Constabulary" heading and instantly I knew what was coming..
Ooooh didums I was doing 49mph on the A591 in Cumbria 9 WEEKS AGO..
So dont go feeling all smug with yourselves if you were caught on camera and 3 weeks has elapsed and you havent received a brown envelope..

Remember the country is FU**ED and it needs all the money it can get from so called safety cameras..
They are going to allow me to attend a so called speed awareness course.. I have done one before about 6 years ago..
It taught me nothing other than how to cough up £70 just to escape the 3 points..
I remember well the copper sat in the car with me and the other 2 "criminals" and he passed the clipboard to each of us to allow us to write our "Positive comments in our own words"..
Thats not on!
They should at least send the questionaire to our homes and allow us to write in privacy without him sat there watching like a Vulture!

No excuses but..
My history is 34 mph in a 30 6 years ago..
Now no matter how scathing some of you may be I hardly am a hardened speed freak that does a ton everywhere..

There is a young **sehole who lives down our lane that is one of these so called boy racers.. He actually killed a cyclist about 5 years ago..
Is he banned or locked up??
NEITHER !! Daddy is rich and got a Barrister on the job and he is still driving like a loonatic.. He is one of the 80mph pratts we see/hear screaming around here at night.
Not to worry.. Just dont ever walk or ride a bike when he is out playing in his souped up clio sport !

Its ironic that I had the SL for 3 months and 4,000 miles
and never had a problem then on the 2nd day of owning the E class I get collared..
It really winds me up..
We get little boy racers around here that do 80 - 90 and more in a 40 area and NEVER get done!

Yes LEGALLY speaking I was "speeding"
MORALLY I was NOT !

Last time 6 years ago I was doing 34mph on the main dual carriageway that goes into Blackpool..
Some bright spark has made that road 30mph..I used to live on that road and it was originally 60mph !
If that isnt fishing for money I dont know what is !

Last edited:
If you are the registered keeper and the car is registered to your address I would suggest taking legal advice quick.

Otherwise at least you've got the course, I had the points instead....

If you are the registered keeper and the car is registered to your address I would suggest taking legal advice quick.

Otherwise at least you've got the course, I had the points instead....

Hi David..
I may have a complication, please read on...

The 14 day rule does indeed apply BUT unfortunately it may not apply in my case, but I cant be sure..
Remember I had only had the car for 1 day when I got zapped...
See below:
http://www.pepipoo.com/images/Staffs_14_day_rule.jpg

The cops only have to post to the keeper on the log book..
That means i would not be notified because I didnt recieve the log book in my name for 3 weeks..
Oh well..
Thank you for your advice anyway.
S.

You've been caught breaking the speed limit, take your punishment and stop whining, the state of the economy did not cause you to drive above the limit.

Some friendly posts as ever by people who do not speed presumably. Unlucky sspeed. If my partners experience is anything to go by you will find the course has changed, to cope with the numbers...

Some friendly posts as ever by people who do not speed presumably. Unlucky sspeed. If my partners experience is anything to go by you will find the course has changed, to cope with the numbers...

Thanks David..
I never "whine" I just report facts as I see them..
I didnt realize GOD was on this forum..:)

Lol
Simon i'm not saying that! But theres no point in moaning, we all speed and sometimes we get caught and other times we don't.
No point in getting upset by it, lifes too short!

Simon

We ALL speed at times. You just got unlucky.

Lol
Simon i'm not saying that! But theres no point in moaning, we all speed and sometimes we get caught and other times we don't.
No point in getting upset by it, lifes too short!

You are quite correct, of course, but you have a way with words which would indicate you aren't a career diplomat:)

The Cumbria SCP are notorious for their close-to-the-line practices, and as trustworthy as Gary Glitter handing sweets to children. I'd check they have actually followed the correct procedures, rather than just roll over....

You've been caught breaking the speed limit, take your punishment and stop whining, the state of the economy did not cause you to drive above the limit.

EDITED - innapropriate content

Last edited by a moderator:

Despite not actually swearing in this post, I do happen to think it to be a little harsh.

Can we try and keep this forum a happy friendly place?

Despite not actually swearing in this post, I do happen to think it to be a little harsh.

Can we try and keep this forum a happy friendly place?

Sp!ke

We see a public condemnation of a poster and a moderator deleting another poster's comment.

Can you explain what is the most severe issue and what action has been taken against gkerr4 on the basis that you have left the other comment stand yet see fit to comment on it ?

Happiness rests on your explanation .............

Out today in Oxfordshire, main road nice and wide but with a 30 limit, either side of a 40 and a 60 limit. Good visibility not much traffic no signs that it may be an accident blackspot (not my local area so can't be 100% on that) - and guess what the local constabulary are there with a car parked out of the way off the road and standing in the sunshine catching all the criminals doing more than 30.

Talk about cash register ker ching theres another £60 oo ker ching ker ching. This is nice easy work on a lovely sunny Autumn day.

Good job we have got our priorities right for our over stretched under resourced police force :)

Sp!ke

We see a public condemnation of a poster and a moderator deleting another poster's comment.

Can you explain what is the most severe issue and what action has been taken against gkerr4 on the basis that you have left the other comment stand yet see fit to comment on it ?

Happiness rests on your explanation .............

erm... no I think it's already pretty damn clear.

I seem to have started a war on here..
Sorry about that..

I have learnt some more facts regarding the so called 14 day rule..
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term then below I have pasted the broad facts from a legal motoring website..

What is the 14 day rule?

The 14 day rule relates only to the period of time in which the Police/Process Unit must serve the original Notice. The Police do not have to prove that the Notice reached its intended recipient within 14 days, merely that in the normal course of events, it should have arrived. In many cases, the registered keeper will be a lease company not the actual driver with the result that even if the driver is unaware of the incident, service of the Notice is good if it was sent to arrive at the registered keeper's last known address within 14 days of the offence.

The Notice of Intended Prosecution was issued out of time, what do I do now?

If you are the registered keeper of the vehicle and the ISSUE date on the Notice of Intended Prosecution is more than 14 days after the offence, then you can reject it. This only applies if it is dated more than 14 days after the alleged offence. It does not apply if it is dated within 14 days but received more than 14 days after the offence. If the NIP has been issued too late, then you should return it to the Process Office stating that you reject it because it is time barred. Bear in mind that if you are not the registered keeper, the NIP may have originally been issued within time and sent to the keeper.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Update:
The 14 day rule does indeed apply BUT unfortunately I may have a complication..
Remember I had only had the car for 1 day when I got zapped...
See below:
http://www.pepipoo.com/images/Staffs_14_day_rule.jpg

The cops only have to post to the keeper on the log book..
That means i would not be notified because I didnt recieve the log book in my name for 3 weeks..
Oh well..
Thank you all for your advice anyway.
S.

take it on the chin. As said before life is too short.

I thought there was some talk of the coalition government restricting mindless money earning camera's?

I bet the speed awareness course is a tidy little earner for the coppers/ex coppers who run it.

Two wrongs will never make a right.

You cannot use someone elses speeding as an excuse for your own.

Some of us are capable of observing speed limits quite simply because we are adult enough to recognise that to be a part of society is to observe its rules and can't be bothered with the legal aggro that ensues when if we behave as though above the law.

If you don't like rules, try a lawless state like Somalia, Afghanistan, etc. We all know you wouldn't last 10 minutes there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom