Forgive them, for they know not what they do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was posted before. It's a total fook up imo.

Waste of a beautiful classic Mercedes, Frankenstein's monster....!

Classic looks modern(ish) tec sign me up i dont see a downside! Are there more than 6 original spec cars if so its a rare beast to boot.

Tony.

Sadly as much as I love AMG it looks like a kit car gone wrong :(

Thought I bet it is a peach to drive.

They had one of these Gullwings on display in Brooklands when I was there back in February. While I agree that the wheels (road and steering) look a bit incongruous, overall the car looked very right.

It's a fairly modern thing to insist on classic cars being preserved "as built". In years gone by it was common practice to carry out all sorts of modifications and upgrades to improve what was often a less than brilliant driving proposition. Now I'm not saying that a Gullwing isn't good to drive, because I've never driven one so I can't offer an opinion, but having driven a number of other "classics" over the years I can say that we often look back with rose tinted glasses, and as is often the case, meeting one's heroes turns out to be a bit of a disappointment.

Just an alternative point of view.

Love it

These were built by HWA ( who also did the 3.2 kompressor powered w168 )

So they're made by people who know what they're doing. People idolise old cars , and they are pretty to look at granted but driving an old car and then you get into a new one and you realise how bad they are.

A client of my fathers has an e type on modern running gear (£200k's worth) and it is just fantastic.

I like it, I like the idea of modern running gear and the associated safety of uprated brakes in beautifully designed cars. I see no downside to this other than the appearance of the wheels and the steering wheel.

They should have gone with custom steel wheels of original design to clear the brakes and period wheel.

I'd love a 67 Camaro with modern Corvette running gear, this is no different just deeper pockets.

Although the wheels and steering wheel look horrendous on that car, I love the rest of it.

Old cars are notoriously slow yet pretty, new cars are notoriously ugly yet fast; makes sense really.

Dont see what the issue is, as H says its made by HWA and will be excellent quality workmanship.

http://www.hwaag.com/home.html

Change the wheels and its fine

Last edited:
Waste of a beautiful classic Mercedes, Frankenstein's monster....!

It makes you wonder alright. The first post war supercar, possibly the first supercar. ''Automotive haute couture'' as one scribe called the Gullwing, well it ain't that now, on top of which to produce it, the guts was ripped out of a million pound classic and in the process losing a straight six with fuel injection, a simple but elegant interior along with those lovely Rudge wheels. Rudolf Uhlenhaut would be turning in his grave!

If money was no object then yes, I would buy three - the look of an original gullwing with a modern engine and comforts - whats not to like?

The wheels need to be changed to something more original looking though.

As far as looks go, it reminds me of wearing a suit with trainers :D

It makes you wonder alright. The first post war supercar, possibly the first supercar. ''Automotive haute couture'' as one scribe called the Gullwing, well it ain't that now, on top of which to produce it, the guts was ripped out of a million pound classic and in the process losing a straight six with fuel injection, a simple but elegant interior along with those lovely Rudge wheels. Rudolf Uhlenhaut would be turning in his grave!

He may well be but he didn't own it someone did who wanted it improved and IMHO he has achieved that.
each to his own and all that i even like the wheels:dk:

Tony.

He may well be but he didn't own it someone did who wanted it improved and IMHO he has achieved that.
each to his own and all that i even like the wheels:dk:

Tony.

Ha,ha. Another joker! :D

The 'improvement' is akin to fitting uPVC windows to a classical 18th century building. Yep, better heat retention and smaller bills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom