Forgot my MOT!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R2D2

MB Enthusiast
Car
C350
I realised yesterday that I'dforgotten to do my cars MOT a couple of days ago. I went to my normal MOT place and got passed without problem.

A couple of interesting points.

1. Only paid £25
2. Was pointed out that you can get 3 points for not having a current MOT.
3. CO2 emissions. (Third year in a row!) are o.oo% and particles per million actually fell from last years 17ppm to a new low of 14ppm. Is that a record for the greenest car!

PS. The tester likes my new shocks :D

You CAN'T get any points for no MOT. Complete and utter rubbish.

You may get a fine up to about £100 but it is not an endorseable offence.

I think you should patent your engine ASAP 0% CO2 emissions. :eek:

2. Was pointed out that you can get 3 points for not having a current MOT.
I would of thought that your Insurance would be invalid too. As you your car is not road legal/declared in a safe state.

Aletank said:
I would of thought that your Insurance would be invalid too. As you your car is not road legal/declared in a safe state.
Doesn't that in turn invalidate the car's road tax?

S.

Having no MOT proves nothing other than on the day it was tested it came up to standard. The insurance company would have to prove your vehicle was unroadworthy the mere fact it had no MOT would not be enough but it could reduce your payout.
And why would it invalidate the tax?
No MOT is no MOT plain and simple, it means nothing more.

No MOT means it's not road legal unless IIRC:

'you are driving to a pre-booked appointment for an MOT test or you are driving on trade plates for reasons of repair'

If it's not road legal then your insurance is invalid. Road tax is unaffected.

as we are on the topic of MOT's, my friend needs a MOT to get her road tax as the car has been not used for six months. Is it legal for her to drive the car to the MOT place without road tax?

willy said:
as we are on the topic of MOT's, my friend needs a MOT to get her road tax as the car has been not used for six months. Is it legal for her to drive the car to the MOT place without road tax?

She can do this if the MOT is pre-booked, has insurance cover and she takes a direct route to the MOT station. If the MOT shop considers the vehicle to be unsafe, they can condemn it on the spot and she would not be allowed to drive it home.

Richard W said:
No MOT means it's not road legal unless IIRC:

'you are driving to a pre-booked appointment for an MOT test or you are driving on trade plates for reasons of repair'

If it's not road legal then your insurance is invalid. Road tax is unaffected.

Not exactly rubbish but not entirely correct. Having no MOT does not automatically invalidate your insurance. As I said previously all an MOT proves is that your car passed the test on the date tested. It may not have the day after so would that invalidate your insurance? Your term 'it's not road legal' could cover anything. It's got a bald tyre, therefore it's not 'road legal' insurance invalid? I think not.
Unfortunately some people (not a pop at you here Richard) seem to think having a current MOT makes your car roadworthy for the full 12 months and fail to check tyres/lights/brakes etc. between MOTs.
I have lost count of the vehicles I have pulled with lights out/bald tyres and asked the driver "when did you last check them", to be met with the reply well it was OK when it was MOT'd. This event then proves to be 6 months or more previously :eek:

Sitting on a wobbly fence I can understand both points of view from Plodd and Richard. Insurance assessors that investigate serious accidents have been known to refuse claims for people that have modified their cars without informing their insurance companies. These modifications have been quite minor at times. Nice alloy wheels, different exhaust, nice conservative spoiler etc.

Would they refuse to pay out to a third party though?

John

My mum wrote off her car a few years ago and found out her MOT had expired when she looked out her documents. The insurance paid out in full and said that it was no big deal.

Wonder if they would have the same attitude with a younger driver?

Bazza

Plodd said:
I think they would always pay out any third party claims John.

Hi Plodd
Totally agree,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom