Forgot to lock my car last night...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kianok

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E220 AMG line premium plus coupe
Fortunately there was nothing of value inside.

They had a good rummage through all the storage compartments and emptied the contents of the glove box.

Two lessons learned;

Lock your car

I had a lot of rubbish in my glove box.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Third lesson learned, use Mercedes Me & you would have got a message telling you the car was unlocked.

It's a shame it wasn't those little feckers in the car in Bradford...

Why can't cars be setup to lock themselves automatically? If the key is not in the ignition, no doors have been opened and no motion detected for say 30 mins then the doors lock.

Why can't cars be setup to lock themselves automatically? If the key is not in the ignition, no doors have been opened and no motion detected for say 30 mins then the doors lock.

Because it would be yet another unnecessary electronic gadget just waiting to go wrong.

Reactions: 219
Finger prints, DNA? If the police can actually be bothered

Yes, we'd be bothered and rightly record a crime. However, in having to manage and prioritise our limited and finite resources, it would probably be deemed disproportionate to investigate this relatively low-level (to police) offence. Far from ideal, we don't like it and the victims of crime certainly won't like it but these are the times we find ourselves in.

Yes, we'd be bothered and rightly record a crime. However, in having to manage and prioritise our limited and finite resources, it would probably be deemed disproportionate to investigate this relatively low-level (to police) offence. Far from ideal, we don't like it and the victims of crime certainly won't like it but these are the times we find ourselves in.

If it was your Superintendent's car would you prioritise differently and find the resources to investigate......?

Interesting how the hood rats are careful to close the boot and doors quietly. Looks like they were working their way along all the parked cars checking doors opportunistically.

Scum!

It looks like they must have sussed it out earlier as they went straight to your car.

Robin
Exactly what I thought but I’ve looked through the footage and not a soul around until these four appear.

Because owners would get locked out of their cars.

This sort of solution sounds simple but invariably has downsides - eg. somebody leaving a bag with the key in the car - getting distracted - say in conversation while in sight of the car - the car locks itself. They're stuck.

Cars can lock themselves automatically but the logic is very restricted - eg. only lock after so many minutes if the car was unlocked but no door was opened.

I'm sure (I think) that my E class does this!?

Exactly what I thought but I’ve looked through the footage and not a soul around until these four appear.

- your car was the only one worth targeting in the vicinity?

- does your car normally fold mirrors fold automatically when the car is locked? if so then there would have been a visual indication that it was probably unlocked.

- your car was the only one worth targeting in the vicinity?

- does your car normally fold mirrors fold automatically when the car is locked? if so then there would have been a visual indication that it was probably unlocked.
Plenty of decent cars around to chose from, far better than mine!

Mirrors do fold but I have that option turned off but it may have still been a giveaway to them.

They do but only in certain circumstances. If you unlock the car but don't open a door it will lock itself again after a predetermined time. Auto locking in any other scenario would risk locking you out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom