Forgotten Grand Prix circuits of Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great stuff. Over the years, I've managed to visit most of these, apart from Rouen and Clermont-Ferrand. I cycled round the old Hockenheim once, just to see the place where Jimmy Clark (my boyhood hero) came off. Awesome circuit. In the truck park at Avus services in Berlin, you can see the tight 180 degree banking at the end of the straight. None of these sights are particularly spectacular, unless like me you are besotted with motor racing and it's history. I think it's a shame that there is very little of Brooklands left.

OT: what car is that in your Avatar Dave? I thought Aston, Bristol, AC then maybe Ashley?

It's a 1953 Bristol 404. It's been my ambition to own one ever since a friend of my Dad's gave me a ride in his when I was a lad.

Or Crystal Palace??

I watched many a race there with people like Roy Salvadori in the Mk2 Jaguars and, if I remember correctly it was where Jochen Rindt first raced in the UK in F3 where he narrowly beat Piers Courage. Much of the track is still there but hard to believe it once had big powerful cars thundering around it. Myself and two of my sons graduated to watching 'The Palace' further down the hill after the racing stopped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom