Forgotten Greats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriscls

Car
2005 CLS 500 V8
Mine is: Jaguar 1992 XJ220

modelpicture.php

Wouldn't say the XJ220 is a forgotten icon. Rightly regarded as the forefather of modern supercars alongside the McLaren F1.

My old XJS once shared storage with one of these, the guy that operated it used to relay tales to me of the owner coming down, taking it out for a couple of hours then bringing it back moaning about it.....never could quite work that out but it is a beautiful car.....

Wouldn't say the XJ220 is a forgotten icon. Rightly regarded as the forefather of modern supercars alongside the McLaren F1.

It's the forefather of over-hyped, over-rated flops that belongs to a time when people were foolish enough to believe that they could make money simply by being on the waiting list for this not-so-wonderful "investment".

McLaren F1's are worth more now than when they were new aren't they?

Can't say I'd ever mention the McLaren F1 in the same sentence as the XJ220 - let alone regard the XJ220 as anything other than an overpriced Shag.

image-3543495704.jpg

Austin 1100 and 1300 were Britain's biggest selling car when new.

The 1300GT was the sports version.

I had this model in the 80s and also a 1300 van den plas automatic.

It wasn't a good car by the way ^^^^^

View attachment 43984

Austin 1100 and 1300 were Britain's biggest selling car when new.

The 1300GT was the sports version.

I had this model in the 80s and also a 1300 van den plas automatic.

Great little cars and far better in terms of engineering than most of their contemporaries. Apart from the rust of course.

In the early 90's I bought a Mark 3 1100 for £150 that turned out to have a 1300 engine and learned a lot by working on it. I then had a Mark 1 MG 1100 which seemed determined to disolve in water.

It's the forefather of over-hyped, over-rated flops that belongs to a time when people were foolish enough to believe that they could make money simply by being on the waiting list for this not-so-wonderful "investment".

It didn't help that they put deposits down on a V12 powered supercar but ended up with a twin turbo V6 engine from a Metro 6R4 :D

It didn't help that they put deposits down on a V12 powered supercar but ended up with a twin turbo V6 engine from a Metro 6R4 :D

After a gestation period that went on and on.

Fairthorpe Atomota?

Yes, all right, it definitely should stay forgotten...

A car that was a common site in the olden days but is not on people's minds anymore?

How about the Austin Cambridge and Austin Oxford for starters?

Then there are quite a few pre-Opel era Vauxhalls...

And of course the various lesser-remembered Triumphs such as the high-performance Dolomite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom