Formatting the hard drive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dvndave

Car
C250 TD
Hi guys,

Does anyone have the time, and patience, to list step by step the procedure for reformatting my laptop's hard drive using a windows '98 fdisk facility?

I am running a Compaq laptop with XP Home edition and I get confused when I am asked questions like, delete non dos partition etc.

I appreciate that perhaps I shouldn't be dabbling but having invested a small fortune with both Compaq and PC World's help lines I'm just not getting anywhere, they both leave out some of the questions that appear on the fdisk menu.

Many thanks in advance,

Dave.

Compaq laptop 40gb
XP home edition

Sadly, I've not the time to do a step by step for you.

However, Fdisk is just for partitioning, not formating. The Format command is for formatting, once you have correctly partitioned your drive.

Hope that might clear any confusion, otherwise I am sure someone will help.

What exactly are you trying to do?

If you are just trying a rebuild, then just boot off the CD and do a fresh install and xp will reformat the drive as part of the process anyway.

re formating

Hi Guys,

Thanks for replying. The problem began when I started getting all sorts of errors and hang-ups so a so - called friend suggested that I wipe the disk and reinstall my progs. He made a point of telling me that it was important to make sure I erased drive D: so that there were no nasties lurking on the drive that would continue to influence my new installation. Like a pillock I reformatted drive D: This ensured that the back-up operating system located on D: was lost and as Compaq don't provide CD's with their system they are now saying that I have to purchase a set of disks from them.
Bouncing back and forth between Compaq and PC world has proved fruitless so I'm in the mire.

My understanding is that Compaq no longer provide CD's 'cos the operating system is accessed, if there is a problem, via D: and the recovery disc which is supplied is merely a tool to access this pre-installed Op sys.

PC world suggested that I obtain a copy of windows '98 start up disc and use fdisk. I have a disk from my previous system but as you can tell I didn't know how to use the damn thing.

The question is do I use fdisk to provide a drive D: and then install a new copy of XP home or do I just buy a XP and leave it to instsll itself.

I don't want to involve either PC world or Compaq again I would rather be self sufficient - if that's possible.

Phew! sorry about this guys . . . I wish Mercs made computers!!!

Many many thanks

Dave

You can just install XP straight, it will give you the option to configure the partitions during installation

Thanks M I'll get my own copy of XP and take it from there.

Cheers Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom