Formula 1 2020 (Will Contain Race Day Spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
However, some of the ideas combined with modern electronics, materials and manufacturing could just be worth another look:dk:

A 'free' formula permitting 2T might just see some developments that aren't otherwise going to happen but could make 2T viable for road use - or at least as the lightest, most compact range extender engine.

Direct injection thus far a partial success using fuel pressures considerably lower than available with GDI. When fuel atomisation is the biggest hurdle with DI 2T, more scope here.

Looking at fuel efficiency over the decades of Cathedral diesels, there's a step change (from circa 35 to 50%) with the adoption of turbochargers (over mechanically driven blowers). Nowhere else will you find a 2T with a turbocharger other than the crazy end of the sledder's spectrum where they bolt them to the stingers of the expansion chambers. Lag not a problem with CVT and long, long gradients to be attacked at full throttle in one hit.

Piston rings are a weak spot on piston ported 2T and if wet sump is employed, prone to scraping unburned oil into the exhaust port which then appears as UBHC at the tailpipe. Ringless has been done. Not very well, there is a lot of scope there. Not only for the aforementioned reasons but for friction reduction also.

Cosworth wasn't making road engines when it developed the FVA and DFV, but from that (via relatively free motorsport engine regs} we got the classic tight included valve angle combustion chambers that are now the mainstay for SI engines. Same again please!

Last edited:
Car manufactures have spent many millions on speculative development of 2 stroke engines for cars but none have reached the market.

Recently? Or are you referring to the rash of development circa late 80s early 90s using injectors spun from ABS solenoid technology?
(Still looking for more info on the Jaguar/Ford/Thornhill V6 if anyone has any)

Here's a link to an opposed piston 2 stroke developed by Ecomotors. A lot of people put money into this including Bill Gates. I don't know if it ever reached production.

Innovative OPOC Engine: Opposed Piston Opposed Cylinder Engine - Tech Explorist

I think that that project folded. The only other two I'm aware of (for potential road use) is the Renault 3cyl (uniflow diesel with poppet exhaust valves) and the Achates diesel opposed piston unit the last of which I heard was being trialled for US military duties. Achates had one in a Ford F150 pick-up but there are aspects of it and the installation that leave many fearing uncontrollable oil consumption. If adopted by the US military (to replace ageing Detroit Diesel 2Ts?) then I'll guess it disappears from the commercial market.
The (politically driven) rush to electrification (and its frankly limited usability for many) is bypassing technology that could be of use IMO.

Recently? Or are you referring to the rash of development circa late 80s early 90s using injectors spun from ABS solenoid technology?

Perhaps not very recently although it seems Ecomotor got as far as building a factory in 2016 before folding shortly afterwards.
Whether 90's or more recent the common theme seems to be they never quite fulfill their early promise and make it to market.
Just the different engine tone due to twice as many firings per rev puts people off although there could be a tolerance for difference now that EV's have provided the public with a new experience.

Mazda who always like to be different are looking at EV's with a rotary engine as a range extender. Aren't they two strokes of a sort.

Perhaps not very recently although it seems Ecomotor got as far as building a factory in 2016 before folding shortly afterwards.
Whether 90's or more recent the common theme seems to be they never quite fulfill their early promise and make it to market.
Just the different engine tone due to twice as many firings per rev puts people off although there could be a tolerance for difference now that EV's have provided the public with a new experience.

There's a lot of baggage shall we say.
Part of the problem IMO has been the 4T guys tasked with the development have little 2T experience and don't understand them. Applying EGR (reputedly what Jaguar did with the V6) to an underscavenged 2T is ludicrous.
Previously though, NOx wasn't an issue. It is now - and the 2T is uniquely placed to solve that (as predicted back in the 60s).

Mazda who always like to be different are looking at EV's with a rotary engine as a range extender. Aren't they two strokes of a sort.

The ****el is a piston ported 4T. Why Mazda chose the thirstiest 4T for a RE is baffling. For the smoothness you might think but an engine driving a generator has no torque reaction to contend with. The mounts can be as as soft as marshmallows.

Looking at fuel efficiency over the decades of Cathedral diesels, there's a step change (from circa 35 to 50%) with the adoption of turbochargers (over mechanically driven blowers). Nowhere else will you find a 2T with a turbocharger other than the crazy end of the sledder's spectrum where they bolt them to the stingers of the expansion chambers. Lag not a problem with CVT and long, long gradients to be attacked at full throttle in one hit.

Must work well - Skidoo have brought one to market.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've managed to reserve a room in a B&B for this years British Grand Prix weekend.Accommodation for Brackley and Silverstone We've stayed here twice before and really like it.

So, Question to those in The Know. Whats the most effeicant way of obtaining GP weekend tickets? Is it just via the Silverstone website or are there better deals to be had elsewhere?

TIA

I wonder if Mercedes is getting jittery at the prospect of the spending cap. Can it function as it has with a sizeable reduction in its budget?

Please no. I don't want to see Lance in a top team (Mercedes/Aston Martin) that he doesn't deserve. IMO he doesn't deserve the drive he has, Hulk was a better driver for that seat

Please no. I don't want to see Lance in a top team (Mercedes/Aston Martin) that he doesn't deserve.

Yes, that was also the most disturbing aspect of the story to me.

There were perhaps indicators this might be on the cards some time ago?
New Merc F1 board members underline importance of F1 - Race Tech Magazine
Markus Schafer and Frank Markus Weber have joined the Mercedes Formula 1 team as board members of Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Ltd, following the departure of Bodo Uebber, who was Daimler’s chief financial officer, and Ola Kallenius on 22 May. The latter has replaced long-time racing supporter Dieter Zetsche who stepped down from his role as chairman of the board of management of Daimler AG and head of Mercedes-Benz cars.
Perhaps an indicator that the attitude to Mercedes F1 future participation was changing at the top.

Last edited:
Please no. I don't want to see Lance in a top team (Mercedes/Aston Martin) that he doesn't deserve. IMO he doesn't deserve the drive he has, Hulk was a better driver for that seat
Unfortunately driving talent isn't always(?) the key requirent for getting a drive. Having a very very wealthy sponsor and enough driving ability to avoid being a complete and utter embarrassment, is often enough to bag a seat. Lance is not by any stretch of the imagination among the best drivers, but he does have a minimum level of competence and is of course very well funded. So he gets a seat otherwise Daddy's money goes elsewhere. I wouldn't want be in F1 on that basis, but I guess Lance has got used to it or believes he has more talent than has so far been evidenced.

Not an ideal situation, but motor racing has to some extent been like this for a while.

Motor sport is a fast moving business. (pun intended) Not much will stay the same for very long.
I worked with the attitude that I had the job security of a football manager....and was never disappointed!
Teams rise and fall, manufacturers come and go. I got to work for Bentley after they had been out of the sport for over 70years!
If Mercedes decide it's time to withdraw, let's just hope it's not that long until they return:cool:

From Sky Sports

Mercedes not preparing F1 exit
World champions Mercedes are not preparing to pull out of Formula 1, according to Daimler chief executive Ola Kaellenius.

Various websites reported that whether Mercedes should leave the sport as a constructor would be discussed at the next board meeting of parent body Daimler.

“Not true,” Kaellenius said.

Ferrari's, Mercedes' and McLaren's 2020 cars firing up

2020 car’s first fire-up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom