Formula 1 2020 (Will Contain Race Day Spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Enjoy the F1 this weekend, but you really have no idea of the violence which the drivers endure in the cockpit, and then seem almost rational and sane when they are out of the car. A very special breed of athlete.:cool:
It does annoy me a bit when people make comments implying motorsports aren't like "real" sports, and especially in F1 where it's 2 hours of full concentration let alone the physical requirements.

......Enjoy the F1 this weekend, but you really have no idea of the violence which the drivers endure in the cockpit, and then seem almost rational and sane when they are out of the car. A very special breed of athlete.:cool:

That makes me think of Mansell getting out of his car barely able to stand up at the end of the race. :crazy:

'Incredible' doesn't really cover it:)

I am guessing that would have been an XJR9LM and if so, the 7.0L Jaguar V12 must have sounded amazing! :eek:
Thanks for sharing that experience of what those cars are capable of! Martin Brundle has that quiet air of huge experience and knowledge when commentating in much the same way as James Hunt relayed his experience to viewers.

I am guessing that would have been an XJR9LM and if so, the 7.0L Jaguar V12 must have sounded amazing! :eek:
Thanks for sharing that experience of what those cars are capable of! Martin Brundle has that quiet air of huge experience and knowledge when commentating in much the same way as James Hunt relayed his experience to viewers.
Back then, Stowe was pretty hairy too. In F1 the cars would turn-in at 200mph flat-chat. I drove a road car round there and the steering was going light at 70mph, so pretty well on the limit at a third of the speed.i

I used to play squash in Brackley with one of the guys from Richard Lloyd Racing. They were running Jan Lammers in the carbon 962 at the time. One of their sponsors apparently insisted on being taken out for a flying lap. Lammers went round a second or two off lap record pace and guy was a total wreck when they got back to the pits. Had to lift him out of the car!

As Mac said, it's the braking forces that must do your head in. 4-5G is pretty violent. Not been there myself.

I was very accustomed to the sound of those cars, and from the outside they sounded really special.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

However, from the inside with most of the exhaust note left far behind, the noise was much more mechanical and high pitched.
The V12 was bolted directly to a 'sound board' or rear bulkhead and that was about 200mm behind your ears.
Imagine having your head bonded to the back of a guitar played by Slash...that gives you some idea:rolleyes:

Mactech - did the enclosed rear wheels make a big difference and if so, to drag reduction or downforce?

Mactech - did the enclosed rear wheels make a big difference and if so, to drag reduction or downforce?

Up to 8% to downforce dependant on config. of the car. It was just another barrier to prevent the 'high' pressure topside air spilling into the 'low' pressure pool of air beneath the car and containing the turbulence around the rear wheel.
The pressure differential averaged as much as 0.32 psi. Just multiply that by the plan area of the car and you can see why the cars stuck so well with ground effect.:D

It's all over the press that Hamilton is calling for Melbourne to be cancelled.
Theoretically I suppose the race(s) could be run without spectators but given the circuits' need for ticket fees to cover costs then some reimbursement from F1's owners would be necessary I'd imagine. Wonder what the contractual obligations are re running the series.

I'm selfishly disappointed, but hardly surprised.
My sister Shelagh from Oz, has just cancelled her summer visit here....I'm really not making up her name....

Disappointing but almost inevitable. MotoGP in the same boat with the first race scheduled to be in May after Qatar and Thailand cancelled.

Sport will be decimated before long with nothing taking place:(

Yep, I bite every time:D

As an aside, I wouldn't be surprised if the number of spectators at the Spanish and Italian Moto GP's exceeded the F1 crowds.
With the majrity of riders coming from Spain and Italy its easy to understand why. And there are 3 races on the day;)

I'm selfishly disappointed, but hardly surprised.
My sister Shelagh from Oz, has just cancelled her summer visit here....I'm really not making up her name....
We're supposed to be going in Sept...for birth of 1st grand child.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom