Formula 1 2020 (Will Contain Race Day Spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Or even Mercedes use of slave labour. Maybe that's not far back enough in history to matter.

I would suggest that the here and now is more important than the past.

And his current sponsors are the here and now.

But maybe it's just that LH's message is specific that it therefore doesn't conflict with institutionalised racism that involves Asians - he wears Black lives Matter - his fellow drivers seem to prefer wearing 'End Racism'.

(I haven't noticed what VB is wearing - if his is BLM then the Mercedes message is perhaps consistent - but if it's End Racism then he's in the same position I was suggesting for LH).

LH responds to social media social justice campaigns and desires the ability to be a beacon for something. It's just ill considered and knee jerk. I don't recall his Mayfair vegan restaurant being staffed by young people with no opportunities - it's just another example of his underdeveloped approach to making an instagram statement to an adoring crowd within an echo chamber.

The fact is that he is a successful young (half)black Englishman who was hand picked on merit by Ron Dennis, Mercedes and McLaren. Most ethnic families don't pursue this route of 'leisure' activity - I should know, my Cypriot family just came to England to better their prospects through work and education. My Dad didn't have time to pursue these hobbies for me despite being a mechanic and having the know how and work ethic. It didn't even enter into the realm of reality for us as there was no cultural precedent for this kind of activity.

LH's dad Anthony, really made a top drawer effort to make it happen for Lewis, it's quite incredible. LH should steer his efforts positively, quietly and determinedly into the development of an academy for youths of his origin, instead of making a showcase of himself and pariahs of other drivers that don't flock to his cause.

As an aside, my uncle ran a chippie adjacent to the Sainsbury's in Stevenage and said that LH was a little shit lol

LH should steer his efforts positively, quietly and determinedly into the development of an academy for youths of his origin, instead of making a showcase of himself and pariahs of other drivers that don't flock to his cause.

Your comment is spot on. I'm a LH fan but It really irks me when he criticizes the other drivers for not taking the knee. If he carries on in the same vein I suspect it will invite racial prejudice in the sport rather than alleviate it.

I'm also a Lewis fan but I don't think anyone should be pressured into taking a knee or doing anything else for that matter. I do agree that at the last GP it was all rushed and disorganised. Perhaps 'End Discrimination' (of all types) is a better message?

Back to the last GP, my comment about VB's start was incorrect. The dash lights had nothing to do with the start lights. He saw a light go out on his dash (not sure what it was) but it triggered him to move and he then saw the start lights were still on and so he stopped. That's some fast reactions!

LH should steer his efforts positively, quietly and determinedly into the development of an academy for youths of his origin, instead of making a showcase of himself and pariahs of other drivers that don't flock to his cause.
I agree. Lewis is focusing on the wrong end of the process. There needs to be many more suitably qualified, talented, hardworking, motivated 'feedstock' from young people across society.

It really irks me now that when ever anyone of note makes a comment (not negative or racist) about the current situation Lewis straight away responds on social media by using words such as "uneducated" and "ignorant".

From a man that tuned up at Wimbeldon without a jacket tie and shows, cant he read!

As a sports person, I am a big fan of his. He is one of the best drivers ever, his results have shown that and winning numerous WDCs is not easy.

However, as a person, he does irritate me at times and I don't agree with a lot of stuff he does out of the driver's seat. I don't think he's a bad person, but I just don't agree with everything he does or the way he goes about certain stuff.

On another note, don't know what I'm going to do this weekend, no Grand Prix!

Last weekend's MotoGP was more exciting than the F1!! What a ride by Mark Marquez after his dirt tracking - just a crying shame it ended as it did when he looked on for a podium!

Here's another reason why Lando is such a top lad

I like Lando; quick, very likeable, clearly a team player and yet not afraid to race his team-mate. If he continues to develop as he has so far, the future could be bright for him.

I like Lando; quick, very likeable, clearly a team player and yet not afraid to race his team-mate. If he continues to develop as he has so far, the future could be bright for him.

ee824c47c7526f5caa8a0672afd05538.jpg

Sounds logical. Kimi has always said he will continue whilst he still enjoys it. So far this year he is not enjoying it and has probably concluded that enough is enough. I would have thought that Haas would throw in a good deal for Perez (maybe they did) as they desperately need a new variable in their team.

I’ll defo miss Kimi. Just as cool as his nickname suggests. I’ve been a massive fan of his from day one (to such a degree I wanted to name our daughter Kimmy). I was sad when he left McLaren but happy to see him win the WDC albeit at Lewis‘s expense.

You know when you're getting old when..... Kimi is the only current F1 driver I have actually run!
...but there are plenty in the Sky team of pundits I have either run or know. I guess it's a generational thing :dk:
I'll consider myself re-tyred, but is that the mediums or softs.....

You know when you're getting old when..... Kimi is the only current F1 driver I have actually run!
...but there are plenty in the Sky team of pundits I have either run or know. I guess it's a generational thing :dk:
I'll consider myself re-tyred, but is that the mediums or softs.....
At my age it's rarely the hard....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom