Formula 1 2020 (Will Contain Race Day Spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^^^As suspected, "If Verstappen had stayed out he'd have won the race" is far from the truth. There was just as much chance of him picking up a puncture, something I mentioned to Mrs. Stratman at the time, while the commentators were presenting as fact he'd have won.

What on earth qualifies Billy Monger to do F1 commentary on TV? His flat, drab delivery reminds me of Nigel Mansell

There was just as much chance of him picking up a puncture

Risk vs reward.

Had MV not been so far ahead of CL then the Red Bull calculation of risk vs reward would have been different.

After VB's tyre went if I had been in charge at Red Bull (and had time to make my mind up) I would have left MV out unless the MV was reoprting tyre issues / vibration. Given how this year has gone - and knowing that MV has been kind to tyres (as well as being fast) then I'd trade the slight chance of LH having an issue and getting 1st against the extra point for fastest lap or the risk of MV having a late tyre failure. I'm sure MV would have made that calculation as well.

This year MB are so far ahead that Red Bull had to be in a position to seize any opportunity to make any impression.

As suspected, "If Verstappen had stayed out he'd have won the race" is far from the truth.
In fairness, Christian Horner in a post-race interview also disagreed that MV would have been guaranteed to win if he'd stayed out, saying that they were very uncomfortable about the condition of his left front tyre which they were nervous could have let go, and if it had done so in one of the high-speed corners it could easily have resulted in a tragedy.

unless the MV was reoprting tyre issues / vibration
AIUI, MV was reporting increased vibration from the left front, hence Horner's post race comments (my post after yours).

What on earth qualifies Billy Monger to do F1 commentary on TV? His flat, drab delivery reminds me of Nigel Mansell

And there's cynical old me thinking that he's actually not bad - and getting better. I'd keep him.

I can recall how stilted DC was over his first two or three years - and even though he's now a class act my gut feel says that he is too 'F1 Corporate' to be a Martin Brundle.

Meanwhile MW is a decent foil a ot of the time but he has a habit of spinning out elongated and epically convoluted (often non) questions.

, and if it had done so in one of the high-speed corners it could easily have resulted in a tragedy.

So you think if CL or anybody else had been closer they'd have still pitted him ......

(I don't think they would.)

So you think if CL or anybody else had been closer they'd have still pitted him ......

(I don't think they would.)
Like you, I don’t know what additional info the telemetry was giving them, so whatever I think would be a pure guess.

If Monger still had 2 intact legs we would never have heard of him, at least in the field of commentary.

Billy Monger is a remarkable young man..

You may well be absolutely right, however that doesn't mean he's qualified for the TV job he has now, out of the blue, at the age of 19, been promoted to.

Do you think he's achieved his position on C4 due to his broadcasting talent?

P.S. Not saying he milking the leg thing or anything like that but does he own a pair of long trousers?

You may well be absolutely right, however that doesn't mean he's qualified for the TV job he has now, out of the blue, at the age of 19, been promoted to.

Do you think he's achieved his position on C4 due to his broadcasting talent?

P.S. Not saying he milking the leg thing or anything like that but does he own a pair of long trousers?
You complain about Billy Monger's ability as a broadcaster at 19 (he's 21 btw).

I've never heard him complain about losing both of his legs at 17, in a crash that was not his fault. Never heard him blame anyone. He put that trauma behind him and moved on. Perhaps one day his broadcasting talent will reach what you consider to be an acceptable level.

So it's acceptable to criticise the other presenters but not BM?
He may well and I expect he will, mature and develop a more easy presentation style but currently he is not very good IMHO...

So it's acceptable to criticise the other presenters but not BM?
He may well and I expect he will, mature and develop a more easy presentation style but currently he is not very good IMHO...
Critiquing him as a broadcaster is fine. It's the implied lack of respect that I'm uncomfortable with. You'll perhaps notice that I made no comment to the original critique of his broadcasting style. I watch F1 on Sky (don't get me started on Crofty... :) ).

Have you considered that Billy is proud to have his prosthetics on show to inspire and give confidence others in similar situations?
I think it's great that he and many others in similar circumstances don't feel the need to hide such things anymore. All grew out of the huge success of the Paralympics?

Have you considered that Billy is proud to have his prosthetics on show to inspire and give confidence others in similar situations?
Or perhaps it’s what I’ve heard from many others unfortunate enough to need them that the prosthetics usually chafe where they join the wearers’ limbs and cause them to sweat. Wearing shorts provides much needed ventilation.

On the subject of commentators, I like most of them. Even Steve Jones provides a bit of enthusiastically light relief during times when things are getting somewhat dour. The only one I can’t abide is the Irish poisoned dwarf Jordan. He’s a knowledgeable embarrassment.

I think it's great that he and many others in similar circumstances don't feel the need to hide such things anymore. All grew out of the huge success of the Paralympics?

I think so Peter. C4’s The Last Leg is also a great inspiring platform. We loved the original show which was an after show for the Paralympic Games. Quote from our young daughter at the time: ‘I love Adam Hills, he’s a great paracomedian” 😊

Last edited by a moderator:
Or perhaps it’s what I’ve heard from many others unfortunate enough to need them that the prosthetics usually chafe where they join the wearers’ limbs and cause them to sweat. Wearing shorts provides much needed ventilation.

On the subject of commentators, I like most of them. Even Steve Jones provides a bit of enthusiastically light relief during times when things are getting somewhat dour. The only one I can’t abide is the Irish poisoned dwarf Jordan. He’s a knowledgeable embarrassment.
I really don't like Eddie Jordan, though I'll not go into why.

I cannot think who Steve Jones is, I'd have to google (other search engines available) him!

Some of the commentary on Sky is utter rubbish, Croft for me is very very irritating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom