Formula 1 2020 (Will Contain Race Day Spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Let's take it as a given that BM is one hell of a guy, loves his mum, is kind to stray kittens, is a considerate, inventive lover, is an outstanding example to all who have overcome adversity, particularly those who have lost a limb, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah blah, blah. He's quite simply a wonderful human being. Is that clear?

What I'm saying is that IMHO he's just not a v. good F1 commentator. I think if the selection of F1 TV commentator was based on merit he would not have been in the running at all. His promotion to that spot at the age of 19 was a cynical move by C4.

What I'm saying is that IMHO he's just not a v. good F1 commentator. I think if the selection of F1 TV commentator was based on merit he would not have been in the running at all. His promotion to that spot at the age of 19 was a cynical move by C4.

Opinions and mileage vary.

And yes I think some people at C4 probably loved the youth and disability tick boxes when he was selected (though they ddn't hit the jackpot of getting the gender and ethnicity tick boxes as well).

I think he's doing fine - and given what I've seen with various other people used by Sky and BBC and C4 - he settled in reasonably quicky - I'd pick him over several of the others we see on the screen presenting and critiquing F1.

Let's take it as a given that BM is one hell of a guy, loves his mum, is kind to stray kittens, is a considerate, inventive lover, is an outstanding example to all who have overcome adversity, particularly those who have lost a limb, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah blah, blah. He's quite simply a wonderful human being. Is that clear?

And all I'm saying is that you're (still) being unnecessarily disrespectful to a young man who has come through a pretty tough ordeal. I haven't even heard his C4 F1 commentary, which may well be as you say, poor and not worthy of the job.

As for who gets chosen to do these jobs and what criteria is used; Billy is a character with an interesting Motorsport back story. Maybe that just doesn't come across in his commentary.

And all I'm saying is that you're (still) being unnecessarily disrespectful to a young man who has come through a pretty tough ordeal. I haven't even heard his C4 F1 commentary, which may well be as you say, poor and not worthy of the job.

As for who gets chosen to do these jobs and what criteria is used; Billy is a character with an interesting Motorsport back story. Maybe that just doesn't come across in his commentary.

stop p!ssing against the wind Jay, you’ll just get wet. 🙄

Says a lot really when the main area of discussion here is around the commentators. ;)

I may get slated but I'm going to say it, I wish Mercedes would have some problems, engines blowing or the likes.
Would at least make it interesting, if we removed the Mercedes it could be real exciting for the other 4 or 5 teams that have been quite close together.

I would love to see closer racing too, like we have in the midfield this season. I can't knock Mercedes though, they have done a much better job than their competitors over the winter. Ferrari had their engine power reduced due to breaking the rules and whilst Honda made a set up, it seems Adrian Newey didn't work his usual magic.

I hadnt noticed BM provided race commentary ... only on qualifying and post race

Who would you suggest in his place?

During Ted's Notebook last week, he said that Toto had a busy week as he was going to sit down with Hamilton and Bottas to sort out their contracts. I'm sure Bottas jumped at the chance to sign. Toto had apparently said that Hamilton's contract terms were virtually always the same and the only discussion point was usually money. Coupled with the fact that Hamilton has said he still wants to race for another 2 or 3 years yet, I don't think it will be long before he puts pen to paper.

More confusing info, Perez has apparently completed his quarantine period (7 days) as advised by Public Health England. He needs to test negative to be allowed in the paddock tomorrow.

As I suspected, Pirelli confirms tyre failure results from Silverstone.

'After launching an urgent investigation, Pirelli concluded that the failures were caused by “extremely long use” after drivers made early stops under a Safety Car triggered when AlphaTauri’s Daniil Kvyat had a high-speed crash on Lap 12 following a right-rear tyre failure.

A combination of unusually long stints, increased speeds of the 2020 cars, and Silverstone’s demanding nature on tyres created what Pirelli F1 boss Mario Isola labelled as a “perfect storm”.

Isola has downplayed concerns about Pirelli moving a compound softer for this weekend and confirmed the Italian manufacturer will stick with its original decision to use the C2, C3 and C4 range in the hope of creating a more varied and exciting race.

Pirelli is confident there will be no extra risk caused but is stipulating increased minimum tyre pressures “to reduce the stress on the construction”, while plans to test a 2021 prototype tyre have been abandoned to provide teams with more time to understand the softer range of compounds.'

That may well sound counter intuitive, but with a soft tyre nobody will have and grip left after about a third race distance, so there will be little temptation to run the tyres for a long stint.

I also yearn for some closer racing up front. Not just the odd race either. Even when RedBull were winning there were still some quality fights for championships and wins. FIA also did their damnedest to make it closer banning the Flexi wings and blown Exhausts.... Mercedes always seem to be a step ahead of the opposition. Good for them but not so much for the fans

I also yearn for some closer racing up front. Not just the odd race either. Even when RedBull were winning there were still some quality fights for championships and wins. FIA also did their damnedest to make it closer banning the Flexi wings and blown Exhausts.... Mercedes always seem to be a step ahead of the opposition. Good for them but not so much for the fans
I hear you, but IIRC there have rarely been periods in F1 where there hasn't been a dominant team/car/driver.

2012 was a great season. 7 different race winners in the first 7 races.

Have any sanctions been imposed on Romain Grosjean for his dangerous late moves under braking last weekend?

Surely he's past his BBD.

Racing Point car found illegal by the FIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom