Formula 1 2020 (Will Contain Race Day Spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Renault protest upheld, Racing Point deducted 15 points and fined 400.000 euros!

Racing Point car found illegal by the FIA

The car itself is fine and so they are allowed to run the same spec of car, it's just the brake ducts. They were penalised for the Styrian GP and then reprimanded for the subsequent two races. The silly part is that from the technical regs, the car is legal and so they can run the same ducts!

Perez tests positive again, which means Hulkenberg gets another go.

His twitter post:

"Got the keys again"

Eezc7scWAAAybSS

The Hulk has done a great first practice he is way up there,Stroll must be feeling upset,,as for Mercedes well same old story .7 sec over nearest car,this change in the tyres will I think will be a advantaged to MB as if they needed help.

The car itself is fine and so they are allowed to run the same spec of car, it's just the brake ducts. They were penalised for the Styrian GP and then reprimanded for the subsequent two races. The silly part is that from the technical regs, the car is legal and so they can run the same ducts!
From what I heard on the commentary this morning, RP can continue to race with the rear brake ducts in question and will pick up a reprimand each time they do so.

They got design information for front and rear brake ducts last year. Used the fronts last year, so these are ok by precedent. They did not use the rears until this year, so there is no 2019 precedent, hence the problem.

I also heard that RP did not ask the FIA if they could fit the rears this year without the 2019 precedent, and that if they had, they would have been told that under the sporting regulations, they could not use them.

The brake ducts are legal from a technical viewpoint, otherwise MB would not be able to use them either. The issues are all around use of listed parts which this year includes brake ducts.

Ferrari's spanner boys will be getting a workout this evening...

Interesting snippet from the BBC text commentary:-

World champions Mercedes have reached an impasse with Formula 1 in negotiations over a new contract to stay in the sport after this season.

Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff said he believed they were "the biggest victim in terms of revenue loss" in the new financial arrangements proposed by F1. He added they had concerns over "legal, commercial and sporting" issues.

Wolff's comments raise the possibility - however distant - that Mercedes might not continue in F1 beyond this season. The deadline by which Mercedes has to commit to F1 is 12 August.

The company is committed to F1 and wishes to stay involved - indeed it this week re-signed Valtteri Bottas for the 2021 season - but Wolff's comments betray an unhappiness with the terms on offer. He said that he had not seen a willingness to compromise from F1.

"If you are prepared to sit at a table and discuss the topics and come to a compromise," Wolff said, "we are close [to an agreement], but I haven't seen that approach."

What value his stake in the F1 team if he or MB walk away?

I’ve never been comfortable with the special status, and payments, accorded to Ferrari.

Well what Mercedes need is a person who knows where the skeletons are buried and is a astute business man,and that means they have to hire Berni,he will get a better deal out of the americans after all he took them to the cleaners when he allowed them to ease him out

Interesting snippet from the BBC text commentary:-

World champions Mercedes have reached an impasse with Formula 1 in negotiations over a new contract to stay in the sport after this season.

Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff said he believed they were "the biggest victim in terms of revenue loss" in the new financial arrangements proposed by F1. He added they had concerns over "legal, commercial and sporting" issues.

Wolff's comments raise the possibility - however distant - that Mercedes might not continue in F1 beyond this season. The deadline by which Mercedes has to commit to F1 is 12 August.

The company is committed to F1 and wishes to stay involved - indeed it this week re-signed Valtteri Bottas for the 2021 season - but Wolff's comments betray an unhappiness with the terms on offer. He said that he had not seen a willingness to compromise from F1.

"If you are prepared to sit at a table and discuss the topics and come to a compromise," Wolff said, "we are close [to an agreement], but I haven't seen that approach."

After FP2 Toto said that there are teams who on camera are 'up the ****' of the commercial rights holders but when they sit down behind closed doors are the ones tho moan the loudest.

After FP2 Toto said that there are teams who on camera are 'up the ****' of the commercial rights holders but when they sit down behind closed doors are the ones tho moan the loudest.
Saw that. He was pretty steamed up.

This may well have some legs, or at least a pair of trainers!
I think it will probably come down to semantics and lawyers. I understand that some of the brake duct parts on the pink Mercedes may have actually shared the same tooling to make some of the basic structure, but differ in detail.
The difference between Racing Point having not run Mercedes rear brake ducts on their car last year (when they were available!) is worth 400k euros and negative 15 points.
Like I said, 'semantics and lawyers':doh:

Well the softer tyres and increased heat saw some different strategies today. Max will start on the hard tyres and it's the first time in memory that I've ever seen a medium tyre used in Q3. Good mixed up grid and what a lap from the Hulk to get P3, even quicker than Max in a Red Bull! Ricciardo also doing a great job. Bottas just managed to pip Hamilton. I hope the Hulk's performance will get him a place on next year's grid. I think Kimi may call it a day as the Alfa Romeos are embarrassingly slow. Vettel just can't get anything out of the car at the moment and even LeClerc only got P8.

Interestingly in Q1 Gasly posted the exact same time as Max.

Ocon has been penalised from blocking Russell. The top 10 is as follows

70th Anniversary GP Qualifying result
1. Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes
2. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes
3. Nico Hulkenberg, Racing Point
4. Max Verstappen, Red Bull
5. Daniel Ricciardo, Renault
6. Lance Stroll, Racing Point
7. Pierre Gasly, AlphaTauri
8. Charles Leclerc, Ferrari
9. Alex Albon, Red Bull
10. Lando Norris, McLaren

The difference between Racing Point having not run Mercedes rear brake ducts on their car last year (when they were available!) is worth 400k euros and negative 15 points.
Like I said, 'semantics and lawyers':doh:
Ottmar said today that:
- They got the information on the brake ducts in 2018
- Because they use Mercedes uprights (presumably not listed parts), there is very little degree of freedom for the brake duct design
- The brake ducts they are using have been designed and manufactured by RP
- The FIA spent three days with Racing Point earlier this year, where they were taken through the whole design step by step
- Some teams, for example Haas, have never built their own car, but instead have always received parts from Ferrari. Similarly for Torro Rosso.

Essentially Racing Point have been found guilty of breaching the sporting regulations for using information they received legitimately in 2018. Nobody would give two fvcks about this if the car wasn't quick. As it is pretty much all the teams are trying to hamstring RP. I don't know how Ferrari have the front to be getting involved in this given their debacle last year.

Based on this, I hope RP win their appeal.

^^^^Then Racing Point should protest Haas and Toro Rosso, see what happens.

^^^^Then Racing Point should protest Haas and Toro Rosso, see what happens.
Maybe they will, but I don't see any if the big boys protesting Haas or Alpha Tauri... because a) they are complicit, b) they treat them as their 'junior' team and c) neither threaten to rock the boat. IMHO, having a poke at Racing Point is an attempt to distract Mercedes on the basis that 'mud sticks', as much as anything else.

Renault would do better putting their time,energy and money into developing their own car than arguing some arcane line in the rule book..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom