Formula 1 2020 (Will Contain Race Day Spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well that result wasn't expected!

Enjoyed that race. Great result for Max and RB. Shame RP felt the need to pit The Hulk and lose places and points for him and the team.

Looking forward to the August heat of Spain next weekend, unlike Merc?

I think Karun called it at the start, but yes otherwise unexpected. On pace too!

I was surprised myself that MB didn't go for the hard tyre in Q2, they obviously had the pace.

Vettel seems to have visited the "ridiculous sunglasses for F1 drivers" shop.

Toto: "Come on then, take us to court"

Team principal Toto Wolff has challenged rivals to protest if they believe Mercedes have broken the rules in the Racing Point 'copying' row.

Racing Point have been docked 15 points and fined 400,000 euros for illegally copying Mercedes' brake ducts.
Rivals have questioned whether Mercedes fully complied with rules that forbid the sharing of key parts.

Wolff said: "If someone thinks we have done something wrong, they should protest. We are happy to go to court."

Creating a situation that helps WB walk away?

clearly Mr Wolfe is unhappy...

The hypocrisy of this whole 'ductgate' thing is twisting my melon. All of the teams copy each other, always have.

Red Bull and Torro Rosso used to be the same car, designed by the same people (Red Bull Technology). According to Mr. A. Newey, "... Hence the Red Bull Racing and Torro Rosso cars were identical designs for the 2007 & 2008 seasons..."

So all this 'shock horror outrage' nonesense coming from the teams and indeed some of the commentators that have been closely involved in F1 teams, is so disingenuous as to be disgusting.

Well I missed the whole race,by looking at the results,I suppose what Pirelli did by moving all the grades of tyres had the desired effect on the result,I have seen the pictures of the blistered tyres from many of the cars that finished,and that cannot be right,I suppose MB had to run the hardest tyre from the start,which I assume would be the old medium tyre,did they do that no idea.

Part of me wishes we could go back to when tyres were only changed because of punctures!

The hypocrisy of this whole 'ductgate' thing is twisting my melon. All of the teams copy each other, always have.

Red Bull and Torro Rosso used to be the same car, designed by the same people (Red Bull Technology). According to Mr. A. Newey, "... Hence the Red Bull Racing and Torro Rosso cars were identical designs for the 2007 & 2008 seasons..."

So all this 'shock horror outrage' nonesense coming from the teams and indeed some of the commentators that have been closely involved in F1 teams, is so disingenuous as to be disgusting.

I'm sure this year's Alpha Tauri is last year's RB15 (or they did it a year or two ago) and no one batted an eye lid. If they (FIA) close the loophole then fine. If it's currently legal then move on. The sour grapes it seems is about the 'spirit of F1' but if it's within the rules and can be exploited then it will.

On another note, Seb had another disaster weekend. His spin didn't help but neither did his team's questionable strategy, which he mentioned after the race. Not that Ferrari care, they know they will not be competitive this year (or next) and Seb won't be around either.

Yes, the whole idea of motorsport is to grab the ideas that work well and improve on them.
The Williams FW07 took the ground effect principle shown by Lotus and made a robust car from it, and one that won championships.
Nobody thought that was copying!
What 'Tracing point' have done is made a good copy of last years Mercedes and a car which appears to be better than some of some other teams's 'original' cars, but still not one with championship winning potential!
The whole idea is to improve on someones else's ideas, but then you have to have the drivers and team to make it work.
It really is a pity it has to go the courts and rulebooks...and sporting regulations and the time scale in which the parts become 'listed' which is the way the Renault protest has come about.

As I understand it is not that the parts are “illegal” per se, more that they are being used too late (ie this year instead of last year)?

As I understand it is not that the parts are “illegal” per se, more that they are being used too late (ie this year instead of last year)?

In a nutshell, yes. It's not the parts as the car has been deemed legal. It's the timing of when it was done. The stupid part is that the FIA spent 3 days at the RP factory and apparently this sort of stuff was pointed out and deemed legal. However, it could be they looked at the Tech regs and they passed, who knows?

Can't see Mercedes getting into trouble in this saga, they would have supplied info during the legal phase.

It's because they were first used this year. Had they been used last year, they would still be able to use them this year. From what Otto and Stroll were saying at the weekend, RP drew the parts themselves using knowledge they acquired legitimately. Not sure how you can un-know something...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom