Formula 1 2022 (Will Contain Spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Prost says Alpine CEO Laurent Rossi responsible for exit

Alain Prost has blamed Alpine boss Laurent Rossi for his decision to leave his position as non-executive director of the Renault-owned team.

Four-time Formula 1 world champion Prost said he was cut out of decision-making last year and accused Rossi of "jealousy".
"Laurent Rossi's desire is to be alone, not to be polluted by anyone," he said.

"He told me he no longer needed advice. There is a real desire to put a lot of people on the sidelines."

Prost told French newspaper L'Equipe: "Laurent Rossi wants all the light."

Updated as Mercedes announce their launch date

TeamDate
Aston MartinFebruary 10
McLarenFebruary 11
FerrariFebruary 17
MercedesFebruary 18
AlphaTauriTBA
Alfa RomeoTBA
Red BullTBA
AlpineTBA
HaasTBA
WilliamsTBA

F1 Sprint races may not take place this season as teams want the cost cap to be raised. I can see their point, the cost cap was based around X races. These sprints add another 6 events and so more likely to sustain damage along with wear on parts.

F1 Sprint races may not take place this season as teams want the cost cap to be raised. I can see their point, the cost cap was based around X races. These sprints add another 6 events and so more likely to sustain damage along with wear on parts.

Lets hope they vote against them. Sprint traces are a stupid idea at least as far as determining the the grid for the main race. There was nothing wrong at all with the existing qualifying so I suspect sprint races are mostly about raking in more money.

Lets hope they vote against them. Sprint traces are a stupid idea at least as far as determining the the grid for the main race. There was nothing wrong at all with the existing qualifying so I suspect sprint races are mostly about raking in more money.
Yep it attracts more visitors on a Friday. I went to Abu Dhabi and Friday practice was fairly quiet where as Saturday was buy due to qualifying. With qualifying on a Friday for the sprint, they hope to get more fans in

Yep it attracts more visitors on a Friday. I went to Abu Dhabi and Friday practice was fairly quiet where as Saturday was buy due to qualifying. With qualifying on a Friday for the sprint, they hope to get more fans in
Why not have ‘best of three’, then they could start on the Thursday and get even more money.

I agree with 190, I hope sprint races don’t happen at least for this year.

Just weight a moment....
I find it quite staggering that all F1 cars this year will have to weigh almost 800kg
That is a whole 200kgs more than a decade ago. I know there are more complex and heavier powertrains and safety kit isn't light.

Just before the start of the 1987 season I did a test at Silverstone with our Jaguar V12 Group C car which was shared with F1 cars.
Future Sports car champion Raul Boesel went round in 1' 9.6 secs in a brand new car which was just under the Gp C limit of 850kgs.
Only a handful of the under 600kg F1 cars went quicker that day.
F1 drivers complained they could not get passed our car and it became the very last test we shared with F1....

I certainly hope there is more overtaking with the latest 'porky' F1 cars!

Just weight a moment....
I find it quite staggering that all F1 cars this year will have to weigh almost 800kg
That is a whole 200kgs more than a decade ago. I know there are more complex and heavier powertrains and safety kit isn't light.

Just before the start of the 1987 season I did a test at Silverstone with our Jaguar V12 Group C car which was shared with F1 cars.
Future Sports car champion Raul Boesel went round in 1' 9.6 secs in a brand new car which was just under the Gp C limit of 850kgs.
Only a handful of the under 600kg F1 cars went quicker that day.
F1 drivers complained they could not get passed our car and it became the very last test we shared with F1....

I certainly hope there is more overtaking with the latest 'porky' F1 cars!
By coincidence last night I was looking at details of the Benetton B186 which weighed just 548kg with the BMW engine developing about 900bhp in race trim and around 1400bhp for qualifying. For me, that era was probably the most exciting to watch. The cars looked to be very much on the limit. With modern F1 I imagine due to aero developments? the cars don’t look like they’re on the limit so much. I’m sure they are in reality, they just don’t look it! For more exciting racing do you think really restricting the aero would help?

By coincidence last night I was looking at details of the Benetton B186 which weighed just 548kg with the BMW engine developing about 900bhp in race trim and around 1400bhp for qualifying. For me, that era was probably the most exciting to watch. The cars looked to be very much on the limit. With modern F1 I imagine due to aero developments? the cars don’t look like they’re on the limit so much. I’m sure they are in reality, they just don’t look it! For more exciting racing do you think really restricting the aero would help?
Yes, those cars were brutal. I remember watching them go up through the (manual) gears with drivers giving involuntary impressions of a nodding dog:eek:

If the latest 2022 F1 cars can get close to one another, then I'm sure the racing will look more exciting.
The genie is out of the bottle with downforce now, and it will be very difficult to ban or restrict the cars to 'lift neutral'
If you ever get the opportunity of standing in front of a current F1 car as it enters a high speed corner, turns in, in the blink of an eye and defies physics, then you'll find they certainly are spectacular. They just do 'exciting' at a much higher speed.

If the latest 2022 F1 cars can get close to one another, then I'm sure the racing will look more exciting.
The genie is out of the bottle with downforce now, and it will be very difficult to ban or restrict the cars to 'lift neutral'
If you ever get the opportunity of standing in front of a current F1 car as it enters a high speed corner, turns in, in the blink of an eye and defies physics, then you'll find they certainly are spectacular. They just do 'exciting' at a much higher speed.
I must try to get to see a current F1 race. Maybe this year! I do love the historics though. I still get chills when i remember being at Brands at one of the Historics meets and a GT40 worked it's way out of the pits. Just the noise - it seemed barely able to tick over it was so lumpy but sounded like it just wanted to go! And the DFV or BDA engines...i think for me the sound has a lot to do with what i like as well!

Look for a Masters Historics meet - we went to one at Brands a few years ago, standing trackside you needed ear protectors, the engine noise was incredible!

I must try to get to see a current F1 race.
Do it! I went to my first race in Abu Dhabi and absolutely loved the experience (except the result!). We got the tickets at probably Silverstone prices or even slightly cheaper. Add to the fact that the weather will never be bad there, so there is not a chance any practice session or qualifying may get postponed. Plus you get to enjoy the hot weather in Nov/Dec.

I went to Silverstone once and whilst it's good to say I had the experience, it wasn't nearly as good as I was expecting. The only viewing space we could find (bearing in mind we got there at 7am) was on a corner with little view, and after a while it was hard to work out what order the cars were in, inaudible announcements and poor visibility of the big screens didn't help at all. And then there were the blocked urinals overflowing everywhere...

Perhaps not the best venue but the only one without the expense of going abroad. I wouldn't let it put me off visiting other tracks though - I'd dearly like to go to Belgum.

Look for a Masters Historics meet - we went to one at Brands a few years ago, standing trackside you needed ear protectors, the engine noise was incredible!
Yes I’ve been to a few of these, i just love anything at Brands but the Masters is great. The minis are always great fun to watch as well, buzzing around the big Galaxies etc. It’s the one thing I’ve really missed since covid. So much so I ended up putting Castrol R in my lawnmower so i could have that evocative smell of hot R and fresh cut grass that reminds me of Brands!

I went to Silverstone once and whilst it's good to say I had the experience, it wasn't nearly as good as I was expecting. The only viewing space we could find (bearing in mind we got there at 7am) was on a corner with little view, and after a while it was hard to work out what order the cars were in, inaudible announcements and poor visibility of the big screens didn't help at all. And then there were the blocked urinals overflowing everywhere...

Perhaps not the best venue but the only one without the expense of going abroad. I wouldn't let it put me off visiting other tracks though - I'd dearly like to go to Belgum.
I’ve been to Silverstone quite a few times for the MotoGP but always sit in the Ducati stand. Being in the stands makes quite a difference I think. I do like the more intimate tracks though like Brands, Snetterton and Thruxton. Brands is my favourite as it’s on a bit of a hill so you can see more of the track at once. There’s Goodwood of course which is something quite different and rather special.

I went to Silverstone once and whilst it's good to say I had the experience, it wasn't nearly as good as I was expecting. The only viewing space we could find (bearing in mind we got there at 7am)

Back in the 70's I always preferred Brands Hatch for the changes in elevation to Silverstone which was flat. The race alternated between venues each year so when we went to Silverstone we took two stepladders and a plank to gain some height. I think it's improved for spectators since then but the track it's still essentially flat.

Our daughter bought us race day tickets to the British GP at Silverstone as a birthday present for me, including parking at one of the remote parking areas. The price was, to my mind, ridiculous, we did find a viewpoint near the top end of the old start/finish straight opposite the old pits, with a decent view including a big screen, enjpoyed it until time to leave, the queue for the bus back to the car parking area was chaos, especially when people decided to forget normal queue behaviour and just shove their way towards the front. Not an experience I would ever pay to repeat, prefer the TV coverage and the comfort of my armchair! However, I could be tempted by Spa with a decent view of Eau Rouge (and I believe tickets are somewhat cheaper than Silverstone)).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom