Formula 1, Moto GP, WSB, 2021 Season

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Exactly. Flags are used from karting all the up to F1 and you have to look out for them and obey them. Not all Formulae have fancy steering wheels and so you shouldn't forget the basics.

I think Mr Horner could have made a valid general point about the use of trackside signalling and in-cockpit signalling overshadowing the use of flags in F1 - and that flags have effectively been superceded - and if these trackside systems fail then the race should be put under a safety car until they are restored.

David Coulthard is a founder owner of Whisper production company which provide Channel 4 with its F1 content. Whilst I have met and enjoyed he’s company, when he has he’s pundit/ commentator hat on I don’t think being argumentative or controversial would do him any favours in the corporate world.

David Coulthard is a founder owner of Whisper production company which provide Channel 4 with its F1 content. Whilst I have met and enjoyed he’s company, when he has he’s pundit/ commentator hat on I don’t think being argumentative or controversial would do him any favours in the corporate world.

I'm not suggesting he should be 'argumentative or controversial'.

I think he should be more objective and less deferential - and where required politely challenge.

Yes, motorsport is actually quite a small world, it is certainly not uncommon for people to be aware or friends with others.
Brundle was DC's manager for all the years he was driving in F1 and of course DC has a number of long standing alliances with quite a few teams and personnel, not least the Red Bull team.
Brundle, on the other hand has always been his own man and managed himself. Nobody is completely without bias, but he has earned his right to say 'Yes I can, because I just did' when challenged as to wether he can talk to people on the starting grid.

Good win for Hamilton. Bearing down on the gap that shouldn't exist but for a Horlicks the FIA made earlier.

Brundle, on the other hand has always been his own man and managed himself. Nobody is completely without bias, but he has earned his right to say 'Yes I can, because I just did' when challenged as to wether he can talk to people on the starting grid.

I think the moment Martin Brundle demonstrated his stature came a lot earlier in his TV career - almost 25 years ago: "That didn’t work Michael. You hit the wrong part of him, my friend"

I think the moment Martin Brundle demonstrated his stature came a lot earlier in his TV career - almost 25 years ago: "That didn’t work Michael. You hit the wrong part of him, my friend"
My own favourite Brundlism was when Bernie had to have to have a large amount of cash refunded to him after a 'gift' to a political party.
It slipped wonderfully under the radar when Martin said on the grid 'You're a rich man Bernie, give or take a million, are you happy with the cost of F1 currently?'
Classic!

I'd love a memory refresh on Dryce's post!
In 1997 at Jerez, the last round of the championship, Michael Schumacher went round the outside of Jaques Villenueuve and nerfed into his sidepod in an effort to take him out. Didn’t work, and he was disqualified from the championship to boot. Very ugly move from Michael, revealing a side of him that many seem to forget.

My own favourite Brundlism was when Bernie had to have to have a large amount of cash refunded to him after a 'gift' to a political party.
It slipped wonderfully under the radar when Martin said on the grid 'You're a rich man Bernie, give or take a million, are you happy with the cost of F1 currently?'
Classic!

The thing about the MB's comment about the collision in 1997 is that it is immediate. Not made later on after sanitisation and consideration.

One might speculate how DC might react as commentator to a similar incident today.

I think DC is a very good in-race technical commentator - but MB is better at the opinion / journalism / perspective side of things.

The thing about the MB's comment about the collision in 1997 is that it is immediate. Not made later on after sanitisation and consideration.

One might speculate how DC might react as commentator to a similar incident today.

I think DC is a very good in-race technical commentator - but MB is better at the opinion / journalism / perspective side of things.
MB worked with Murray Walker… nuff said!

MB worked with Murray Walker… nuff said!

Murray Walker worked with James Hunt ......

I have to say that I really miss the James Hunt and Murray Walker days. F1 was rougher and less refined yet felt more exotic. By the time Martin Brundle took over the commentary it felt smoother and shinier - and since the likes of DC came along it's polished to a nanometric sterile perfect sheen.

(Except the V6s are not that perfect - There was that moment last year in Abu Dhabi when Alonso took the V10 Renault on the circuit - and that interview with Lewis where he's distracted by the sound in the background and smiles 'that sound' - and for us oldies watching we smiled too - shared thoughts).

Murray Walker worked with James Hunt ......

I have to say that I really miss the James Hunt and Murray Walker days. F1 was rougher and less refined yet felt more exotic. By the time Martin Brundle took over the commentary it felt smoother and shinier - and since the likes of DC came along it's polished to a nanometric sterile perfect sheen.

(Except the V6s are not that perfect - There was that moment last year in Abu Dhabi when Alonso took the V10 Renault on the circuit - and that interview with Lewis where he's distracted by the sound in the background and smiles 'that sound' - and for us oldies watching we smiled too - shared thoughts).
James Hunt was pretty much everything Murray was not. Yet their chemistry together is unsurpassed.

Over the years F1 technology has become massively more complex and expensive. The whole thing has become hugely commercial and more corporate. Investors are fickle and only want to be associated with ‘stuff’ that they perceive as enhancing their brand. The teams and pretty much everyone else fails to suck up to their sponsors at their peril.

As for the noise, I still like the sound of a V8 Cosworth DFV.

Very ugly move from Michael, revealing a side of him that many seem to forget.
I’ve never understood the almost total amnesia about Schumacher serior's dirty driving incidents, of which there were many. Without them he had the talent in a car and the ability to galvanise a team around him to have been every bit as successful - perhaps even more so - which underscores how unnecessary they were. While I respect his positive achievements, on balance I never warmed to him because of them.

Maybe MV thinks he'll benefit from the same convenient forgetfulness going forward?

Last edited:
When Schumacher broke his leg at Silverstone in 1999, the first on the scene was medical car driver Alex Ribeiro, my very first racing driver.
Alex had his fair share of shunts as racer, like this one in 1977 when sex was safe and motor racing was dangerous.

797f8f84-b9d8-4cf9-b0c6-802f0ec7d71b.jpg

Even when he became medical car driver life was never completely safe as was shown here when he managed to lose the door of the Mercedes C55 AMG!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I spoke to him just a week ago and he is recovering from the most bizarre accident. Pedalling his bike up the ramp from the underground carpark to take his exercise, a steel barrier came down on him hitting him on the head. Concussion, two cracked vertebra and an eight-week recovery later it seems he has escaped much more lightly than Michael Schumacher.

He says he now has three exhibits on his ‘black museum’ shelf

The steering wheel from his 77 F1 car with a broken spoke, which was caused by the effort he had to put in to it as the rack just about seized up when the car was full of fuel…..

The drivers door grab handle from the C55 AMG safety car.

And now the remains of his cycling helmet.

Motor racing is dangerous, but often not as dangerous as real life.

Mercedes have been asked to reconsider their new sponsorship deal with Kingspan who had elements of their product used without their knowledge on Grenfell Tower, which was not compliant with Building Regs. Toto has responded with an open letter. I don't think a company as big as Mercedes would sign a sponsor without doing their due diligence, however a certain Michael Gove has attacked them.

As for the racing, Hamilton and Verstappen were very close in FP1 on a new circuit, looks like a hard circuit to drive on, no room for error.

Mercedes have been asked to reconsider their new sponsorship deal with Kingspan who had elements of their product used without their knowledge on Grenfell Tower, which was not compliant with Building Regs. Toto has responded with an open letter. I don't think a company as big as Mercedes would sign a sponsor without doing their due diligence, however a certain Michael Gove has attacked them.

As for the racing, Hamilton and Verstappen were very close in FP1 on a new circuit, looks like a hard circuit to drive on, no room for error.

I get the feeling this is the usual trial by garbage media who wouldn't dream of accurately portraying the true roll that Kingspan had in the fire which was essentially zero if you believe their statement below. If that includes Gove then shame on him.

"Kingspan played no role in the design of the cladding system on Grenfell Tower, where its K15 product constituted approximately 5% of the insulation and was used as a substitute product without Kingspan's knowledge in a system that was not compliant with the buildings regulations"

How does that make Kingspan liable. If the Kingspan statement is true then F1 should not back down.

Qualifying will be key this weekend. I’m not seeing anywhere to overtake anything. Could be wrong of course.

LH fastest in 2nd free practice.
MV 4th.
Red Bull possibly putting a fresh engine in MV's car and risking taking a 5 place penalty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom