Formula 1, Moto GP, WSB, 2021 Season

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The engine freeze till 2025 means RB can now progress with the * Honda spare parts bin build and hopefully be competitive.

* I have added this note to explain my humour to those that need it. This is a light hearted comment and in no way reflects on the excellent work and achievements of Honda and their partners.
I think Honda really stepped up and it’s a shame they’ve now, after making the engine competitive, decided to leave F1. The biggest objectors to Red Bull taking on Honda IP and then continuing with the engine, is Ferrari. They were threatening to veto (an option they ought not have in my view). Not sure if their position has changed.

I thinking the issue with the waning interest and boredom for some may be due to 'losing the plot' and therefore not following the intricacies of F1. In the past it's been a more simpler F1 world, with less of a rule book to follow, but now as has been mentioned big money brings big complications. So now you need to find the modifications some very minor and the tech twists and turns interesting to really appreciate what is going on.
For those that struggle with the detail of F1 maybe the Indy500, oval racing or stockcars might get them back to the edge.

* This is a general view and in no way reflects on any particular individuals living or dead through boredom.

I think Honda really stepped up and it’s a shame they’ve now, after making the engine competitive, decided to leave F1. The biggest objectors to Red Bull taking on Honda IP and then continuing with the engine, is Ferrari. They were threatening to veto (an option they ought not have in my view). Not sure if their position has changed.
Ferrari probably see RB as a real threat and another team that could push them down the order, will we ever see Ferrari return to dominance and given the hundreds of negative comments regarding Mercedes dominance it seems more like success through their hard work and attention to detail .. 'dominance' is a bad word, unless it's your favourite team winning ... 🤔

I thinking the issue with the waning interest and boredom for some may be due to 'losing the plot' and therefore not following the intricacies of F1. In the past it's been a more simpler F1 world, with less of a rule book to follow, but now as has been mentioned big money brings big complications. So now you need to find the modifications some very minor and the tech twists and turns interesting to really appreciate what is going on.
For those that struggle with the detail of F1 maybe the Indy500, oval racing or stockcars might get them back to the edge.

* This is a general view and in no way reflects on any particular individuals living or dead through boredom.
I’ve never seen the big attraction for oval racing. Still watch it though...🤣

Ferrari probably see RB as a real threat and another team that could push them down the order, will we ever see Ferrari return to dominance and given the hundreds of negative comments regarding Mercedes dominance it seems more like success through their hard work and attention to detail .. 'dominance' is a bad word, unless it's your favourite team winning ... 🤔
You’re probably right on Ferrari’s concerns. As for their own loss of competitive edge, that seemed to coincide with the concerns raised (by Red Bull) about fuel flow irregularities and the subsequent FIA investigation/secret deal. Will they recover to the front end of the grid? I hope so, but they’ll only do that if they really understand how they dropped off and see the way to a solution. Probably need a very different aero package, but I don’t know for sure.

You’re probably right on Ferrari’s concerns. As for their own loss of competitive edge, that seemed to coincide with the concerns raised (by Red Bull) about fuel flow irregularities and the subsequent FIA investigation/secret deal. Will they recover to the front end of the grid? I hope so, but they’ll only do that if they really understand how they dropped off and see the way to a solution. Probably need a very different aero package, but I don’t know for sure.
there is a saying that goes 'if you ain't cheating you ain't trying', so I think all teams push the rules right to the edge and a little beyond, I guess the real crime is getting caught .. ;)

Ferrari have it all so should be winning, the thing I think they have lost is a real team spirit and so are pulling in different directions. I really think Lewis going to Ferrari would change their fortunes as it did when Schumacher joined, but it would take time.

Ferrari have it all so should be winning, the thing I think they have lost is a real team spirit and so are pulling in different directions. I really think Lewis going to Ferrari would change their fortunes as it did when Schumacher joined, but it would take time.
Getting the various sections within Ferrari to pull in the same direction has always been something of a challenge. When, Todt, Brawn, Byrne and Schumacher rocked up, they managed to get it all going in the right direction. Losing James Allison hurt the team, especially as he then turned up at MB. Double whammy right there.

I honestly don’t think any driver will on their own turn things around at Ferrari, not even Lewis.

there is a saying that goes 'if you ain't cheating you ain't trying', so I think all teams push the rules right to the edge and a little beyond, I guess the real crime is getting caught .. ;)
There’s certainly some benefit to finding unique ways of exploiting the rules to your advantage, like Brawn did with the double diffuser.

I'm not American and cannot understand why oval racing exists ,instead of snooker you bordering cricket now 🤣

I'm not American and cannot understand why oval racing exists ,instead of snooker you bordering cricket now 🤣
I’ll never understand why it’s so popular in the States. Mind you, they really don’t get F1 at all.

There must be something wrong with me. ;)

Ferrrari winning I'd root for McLaren, McLaren winning I'd root for Red Bull, Red Bull winning I'd root for Mercedes, Mercedes winning I root for Ferrari....

Getting the various sections within Ferrari to pull in the same direction has always been something of a challenge. When, Todt, Brawn, Byrne and Schumacher rocked up, they managed to get it all going in the right direction. Losing James Allison hurt the team, especially as he then turned up at MB. Double whammy right there.

I honestly don’t think any driver will on their own turn things around at Ferrari, not even Lewis
very good point with James Allison, I hadn't realised he was at Ferrari.

There must be something wrong with me. ;)

Ferrrari winning I'd root for McLaren, McLaren winning I'd root for Red Bull, Red Bull winning I'd root for Mercedes, Mercedes winning I root for Ferrari....
Ahhhh .. you sir have 'underdog syndrome' very prevalent in the UK and no real cure, it's worsens when the underdog succeeds in winning more than once and then turns to hatred of always winning and bloody dominance.
You could support a team of no hopers with absolutely no chance or hope in he££ of ever succeeding, so rubbish at whatever they do they can't possibly win ... 🤔

* This comment may invoke some football related cases, but I hope not.

Last edited:
Does anybody know what this sprint idea is and how it will work,also I think it is only at three GP's I think Canada is one,is the first race going to have this sprint ?:confused:

Does anybody know what this sprint idea is and how it will work,also I think it is only at three GP's I think Canada is one,is the first race going to have this sprint ?:confused:
Here's a quote below, but looks like a lot more detail will be needed to convince everybody its worth doing. Some really good stuff in James Allison video below.

F1 is planning to hold 100km sprint races at select events, with Canada, Italy and Brazil understood to be the rounds it is targeting for the 2021 season.

It would see F1 still hold qualifying as normal, but moved to Friday to set the grid for the sprint race. The result of this would then set the final starting grid for the grand prix on Sunday.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Well that clears that up,I have to say I cannot see this as anything but a disaster waiting to happen,so teams spend time and energy getting the race cars balanced and sorted so they are running at their best for qualifying,and so lets just say both Mercedes have filled the front row,then the next day still in race trim you race for 100k to sort out grid positions for the race,and any accident in that sprint will leave teams working on what should have been a race ready car fitted with new parts which may not be exactly like the damaged parts taken off which then goes out and races in the GP,still some time before it happens so we will hear more as time passes.

We will have to wait and see what these sprints are but if they result in artificial mixing up of the grid then it will be a big turn off for me. Qualifying should be about the fastest car and driver being on pole. Anything else is silly games which should be beneath F1 as the premier racing class.

I’ll never understand why it’s so popular in the States. Mind you, they really don’t get F1 at all.

I was watching a random Jay Lenos garage the other night and it was about young(American)kids in motorsport, they did a bit on karting, every single one of them wanted to be in F1 and not one mentioned the indy car or oval stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom