Formula 1, Moto GP, WSB, 2021 Season

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think Lewis again showed what he is capable of. Also Sergio did a great job managing his tyres, but maybe that’s a little easier when you’re 0.5s off the pace throughout. So whilst a solid 4th and a good demonstration of his adaption to the car, still not quite enough pace to give Mercedes a headache on strategy.

I got the impression that Perez was a complication to Mercedes for part of the race - but his tyres were so far gone late in his stint that he didn't have anything to defend position with so ceased to be a problem when LH did pit - by that time it became about hanging on for as long as possible should there be a safety car. I think this is where Sergio Perez leaves Red Bull with options on race day.

I was surprised that MV *allowed* himself to fall for the track limits issue again. I know people are maning about the rules - but that was a mistake on his part that cost a point that he might well rue come the end of the season. Just as well for him that Sir LH played it canny and didn't risk the pit stop - because he might have ended up handing the extra point to LH rather than VB - making it effectively a 2 point mistake.

Vettel did a fairly decent job I think in his Aston. Qualified well but the car just isn't great and he dropped back. Still managed to finish ahead of Stroll, who had the upgrades on his car.

I find I have to remind myself that SV is the youngest of the 4 champions in the pack and not the oldest or second oldest.

Two tabloid papers 'reporting' the same story of rumours that 'Mercedes have had enough' and that Bottas will be out before the end of the season.
Personally, I doubt anything like that will happen, they are not like Red Bull.
Bottas may not have converted his pole but he had the pace for most of the race and could well have taken 2nd place. Lewis was in a league of his own and I don't think anyone would have taken the win from him.

If I was Toto Wolff, the only reason I would want to swap Bottas for another driver mid season is if it looked like we were going to lose the constructors championship. So far that doesn't look to be a problem. If Bottas started to be consistently beaten by Perez then that would be the time to get concerned. Meanwhile Bottas is as much a team player as they are likely to find.

Two tabloid papers 'reporting' the same story of rumours that 'Mercedes have had enough' and that Bottas will be out before the end of the season.
Personally, I doubt anything like that will happen, they are not like Red Bull.
Bottas may not have converted his pole but he had the pace for most of the race and could well have taken 2nd place. Lewis was in a league of his own and I don't think anyone would have taken the win from him.

If I was Toto Wolff, the only reason I would want to swap Bottas for another driver mid season is if it looked like we were going to lose the constructors championship. So far that doesn't look to be a problem. If Bottas started to be consistently beaten by Perez then that would be the time to get concerned. Meanwhile Bottas is as much a team player as they are likely to find.
If George Russell didn’t have size ‘ridiculously large’ feet, he’d be in the Mercedes already. Modifying the current monocoque to make it suitable for a full campaign, could make a (small?) difference to the performance level and may have used up ‘change tokens’ they wanted/needed for something else.

I don't think it would be feasible mid season as mentioned.

In other news, Grosean to drive the Mercedes W10

Well I think MB had their cars near to maximum tune for Portugal,and you did not see Red Bull taking over leaders board in practice as they did before,so expect that to continue at Spain,I cannot see Bottas being replaced during the season,but he is reported to have said he does not care what happens next season.

Well I think MB had their cars near to maximum tune for Portugal,and you did not see Red Bull taking over leaders board in practice as they did before,so expect that to continue at Spain,I cannot see Bottas being replaced during the season,but he is reported to have said he does not care what happens next season.
That reads like Bottas has either been told, or fully expects Mercedes to replace him with Russell for next season. Bottas back to Williams or retiring?

I'd agree. Mercedes aren't as brutal as Alpha Taura or Red Bull replacing drivers mid season. It's not like Bottas is incredibly slow, its just his team mate has the beating of him and every other driver on the grid. 2nd is about his best place to expect unless LH has a problem.

Would an unmotivated Bottas be good for the team? How keen will he be to act as wingman, getting in the way of Red Bull and accepting tyre strategies designed for Hamilton?

Would an unmotivated Bottas be good for the team? How keen will he be to act as wingman, getting in the way of Red Bull and accepting tyre strategies designed for Hamilton?
Unless VB can produce some race results, the team will become increasingly aligned with LH. Not sure how VB’s motivation is being affected. GR doesn’t fit in the present car, so unless there are some ways to increase usable space within the current tub; I can’t see him being in the Merc this season as I don’t think MB will be making a new bigger tub for this year.

Bottom line for me is if VB thinks he can compete and is deserving of more support from the team, he needs to demonstrate that in order to reinforce his position.

Not sure how VB’s motivation is being affected.
VB strikes me as a pragmatic sort of chap, and has certainly demonstrated in the past few years that he's a team player. Up until the 2021 season it was obvious to everyone that he was in the best car so he had the best chance of winning - the trouble is he has LH as a team-mate and LH is blisteringly fast, makes very few mistakes and has superb racecraft which means beating him with equal equipment is a big challenge.
Unless VB can produce some race results, the team will become increasingly aligned with LH.
I fancy that the team - while being pretty even handed with their drivers - recognise that their best chance of winning the Drivers' Championship is with LH and that, coupled with him usually being ahead of VB on the track means that LH gets first dibs on the day; VB's primary job is therefore to ensure that the team wins the Constructors' title.
Bottom line for me is if VB thinks he can compete and is deserving of more support from the team, he needs to demonstrate that in order to reinforce his position.
Red Bull's car is arguably the equal of, or betters the Mercedes this season - at least, at this stage. With MV in the Red Bull I don't think VB can be expected to reliably put his car in 2nd place after LH (or MV), so that puts him in a supporting role to LH. If he does that well, and Mercedes bag the Contructors' crown again as a result, then the big question is what benefit is there of swapping him for another driver who could destabilise LH?

Well Toto has confirmed that Bottas will be in the car this season unless he is unwell. He said 'we don't play musical chairs like the team back there' lol.

Red Bull seem to have recruited about 15 people from Mercedes HPP

Well the practice has been more of the same for MB against Red Bull,the Mercedes is as fast if not faster than the Red Bull,so we are back in the grove and apart from a problem MB will be on the podium

183759291_1677029515838390_5522176408330006115_n.jpg

Mercedes looked strong all weekend and I was sure in Q2 that they weren't as far behind as the time sheet suggested. LH's explanation at the end of Qualy showed why he is no.1
Yes, with umpteen world championships, a knighthood and now 100 pole positions, you feel that Lewis is beginning to get the hang of this F1 stuff........:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom