Formula 1, Moto GP, WSB, 2021 Season

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Should he have a performance-related contract and if his times are similar to Albon or worse, should the drive be handed back to this season's number two driver?

We all judge drivers on what we can see but do we have any idea about what is going on inside of a team. Pierre Gasly who was given the boot and when back in his old team, he performs. Now we have what outwardly looks just like another failure, Albon and is he to be dumped out of F1?

I see we can discuss MotoGp and we have seen teams that have an exceptional rider that wins a World Championship with relative ease but their team-mates have never got anywhere near them and some of those riders have been ex-World champions.

If Perez cannot get within 0,3 of a second per lap of Verstappen, does that then make Perez a bad driver?
It’s not just about lap time. If Perez fails to deliver points (unlike this year where he’s delivered loads) or is unable to give RBR strategy options in races, then he may be in trouble. Let’s see.

Keep the F1 topic on it's own. Or did I miss something? Mixing it with other sports? No point and over complication.

Keep the F1 topic on it's own. Or did I miss something? Mixing it with other sports? No point and over complication.
It's all motorsport!
Doubt there will be more than a dozen posts on Moto GP anyway. And none on WSB.

Most things with engines are motorsport.

Just leave it how it was. It wasn't broken. Adding others will just get confusing especially when race weekends clash with F1, Moto GP & WSB, etc. Plus other classes too.

I look/looked forward to reading the F1 thread and I'm sure many others do to. The practise, qualifying and race coupled with the fact there are quite a few members on here that have been involved in F1 in its current or previous guise is pretty spectacular. Some members here are so interesting. In fact all the comments have been interesting to read.

To throw that all into a "petrol runs it" wouldn't be the same. I might be on my own on this one and if you either need a few £ to run the site or help on admin this particular topic, then I would gladly help.

Cars and bikes are not the same. I hope you accept my comments in the spirit of goodwill.

If Perez cannot get within 0,3 of a second per lap of Verstappen, does that then make Perez a bad driver?

I suspect that the attraction of Perez to Red Bull is a driver who can run on a different strategy to their number 1 and is capable of picking up points for the constructors' championship.

That second strategy is important as they can use that to close down the mid to end race strategy options of competing teams like Mercedes.

If that works then Red Bull might well have pulled off a very clever team move with two complementary drivers.

Well the F1 owners hungry for cash have 23 races next year,not sure this a good idea

Well the F1 owners hungry for cash have 23 races next year,not sure this a good idea
Presumably they’re still only allowed three engines etc. ? Going to put even more emphasis on reliability, so race pace might be dialled back somewhat and races even less interesting than they are now.

I suspect that the attraction of Perez to Red Bull is a driver who can run on a different strategy to their number 1 and is capable of picking up points for the constructors' championship.

That second strategy is important as they can use that to close down the mid to end race strategy options of competing teams like Mercedes.

If that works then Red Bull might well have pulled off a very clever team move with two complementary drive

If that works then Red Bull might well have pulled off a very clever team move with two complementary drivers.
If Albon is really going to be the reserve driver for Red Bull, then hopefully he will replace Perez if this driver does not perform.

Are we already making excuses for Perez if he fails to give Verstappen a run for his money?

It's a new car, he needs time to settle in

It's completely different from the car he was driving.

Did Russel set the bar for what any F1 driver can do with a fast car?

I cannot wait to see how Perez will perform but I still have not forgotten the crocodile tears shed by Racing Point when they sacked this very good driver.

If Albon is really going to be the reserve driver for Red Bull, then hopefully he will replace Perez if this driver does not perform.

Are we already making excuses for Perez if he fails to give Verstappen a run for his money?

I cannot wait to see how Perez will perform but I still have not forgotten the crocodile tears shed by Racing Point when they sacked this very good driver.
You have to hope for Daddy Stroll that Vettel can rediscover his form/mojo or it could be a long year for Racing Point.
Stroll junior might be hoping that he doesn't find too much form or he'll be looking like a number two driver again, very quickly.

You have to hope for Daddy Stroll that Vettel can rediscover his form/mojo or it could be a long year for Racing Point.
Stroll junior might be hoping that he doesn't find too much form or he'll be looking like a number two driver again, very quickly.
Very good point and daddy Stroll made that decision to sack a driver whose form he was fully aware of and replace him with a completely unknown current ability. I am not judging Vettel on his performances at Ferrari purely because, once again we have no idea of team orders. Racing Point might now have competition from McLaren who will have the exact same German donkeys under their bonnet.

I am a big fan of McLaren so that is one reason why I hope they wop Racing Point, I respect Perez as a driver and as a person the crocodile tears need to be wiped from the face of the owner of racing Point, so I guess that is a second reason why I am now not a fan of that team :).

I think most people (me included) consider Max to have outstanding (potential championship winning) driving talent. His driving is maturing and with a more support from a stronger team-mate on strategy, Max and RBR might well have more chance of getting good results next year.

Perez is an excellent driver, especially over a race distance, where typically he shows good pace, an ability to stay out of trouble and manage his tyres. In terms of outright pace, we don't yet know how he'll compare to Max and it will be interesting to see how that works out. My expectation is that he is a better bet than Alex (who I really like) over a race weekend/season, but again we'll see. I do think that the Red Bull is a tricky car to drive, so for sure it's going to be interesting.

Russell has definitely set the bar for what is expected of any F1 driver in a top car. However, we shouldn't forget that George is a very talented, well rated driver who just happens to be more regularly strapped into an uncompetitive car. That of course might be said of any of them (though I'm very much not a fan of Mazepin who I don't think should be there in 21), there are only 20 seats after all. Hard to know if Albon, Perez, Sainz, Gasly, Norris et al would have done the same in the Mercedes, but maybe they would've.

I think Baby Stroll could well have his rear end handed to him by a resurgent Seb. I would so like to see that.

(though I'm very much not a fan of Mazepin who I don't think should be there in 21), there are only 20 seats after all. Hard to know if Albon, Perez, Sainz, Gasly, Norris et al would have done the same in the Mercedes, but maybe they would've.
Money talks in all walks of life and we usually do not hear about pay-offs but to me the career of Mazepin should of been ended the INSTANT (shouting from the rafters) the very instant that footage got into the public domain.. I do not give a flying fig about the mitigation we are now very conveniently hearing. I am old fashioned with old fashioned values and that man, no sorry, that individual will always be tainted with that footage.

Shame on any team that employs him and to me, shame on the team principal that tries to justify his actions. WEhewwww, that's got that off my chest :)

Money talks in all walks of life and we usually do not hear about pay-offs but to me the career of Mazepin should of been ended the INSTANT (shouting from the rafters) the very instant that footage got into the public domain.. I do not give a flying fig about the mitigation we are now very conveniently hearing. I am old fashioned with old fashioned values and that man, no sorry, that individual will always be tainted with that footage.

Shame on any team that employs him and to me, shame on the team principal that tries to justify his actions. WEhewwww, that's got that off my chest :)
For me it’s not just the boob-grab footage, it’s also his over aggressive driving and that he’s punched a fellow competitor. I get the impression that he is a nasty piece of work and certainly has a lot of work to do to turn me around.

What has personal life got to do with racing ability?

Same in any walk of life.

And no, I don't think the views are old fashioned or incorrect, I just don't think it has any relevance what so ever to his job.
His job is to race cars and win as many points/prizes for himself and his team.
His job is not a personality competition, if it were Ricciardo would be multi world champion and Hamilton would have been sacked years ago.

What has personal life got to do with racing ability?

Same in any walk of life.

And no, I don't think the views are old fashioned or incorrect, I just don't think it has any relevance what so ever to his job.
His job is to race cars and win as many points/prizes for himself and his team.
His job is not a personality competition, if it were Ricciardo would be multi world champion and Hamilton would have been sacked years ago.
Given the very public nature of F1 and high profile mean that behaviours from the driver wether on track, in the paddock or the high street all have an impact on the F1 brand. This in turn impacts on revenue coming into the sport.

I’m not currently seeing anything from Mazepin that improves the profile of the F1 brand and I’m less than comfortable with some of the stuff Hamilton is up to, especially his inconsistency of message.

So what's your stance on the beer swilling, fag smoking, womanising legend that is Hunt the Shunt?

You can't have old fashioned views but change them to suit the current climate.

I watch them as racers, thats all.

And how come everyone loves politically incorrect Kimi🤣

One 5 second muted mobile phone clip does not tell a lifestory.

All the comments are along the lines of "spoilt little rich kid" " Daddys money " "nasty piece of work" " end his career INSTANTLY"

Really?

I think its all a tad harsh.

Given the very public nature of F1 and high profile mean that behaviours from the driver wether on track, in the paddock or the high street all have an impact on the F1 brand. This in turn impacts on revenue coming into the sport.
I don't know this 'Marzipan' character, but the more I hear of him it seems an exit from F1 before he starts may just be the icing on his Christmas cake.
....but I've been wrong before!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom