Formula 1, Moto GP, WSB, 2021 Season

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I dont think I know who 90% of the sponsors are in F1🤣

I might know the name, but I've no interest in knowing what they supply.

If it went back to cigarette and alcohol sponsorship (I don't smoke), I don't think it would persuade me to smoke John players or Marlborough or drink martinis.

Who uses Gulf oil?

I suppose it makes the brand recognisable, but again in my opinion you would be a bit of a simpleton if it swayed you towards the brand.

I like certain brands also, nothing wrong with brand loyalty, but I wouldn't change because a sporting team I like were sponsored by another brand.

Its about brand awareness not necessarily a specific product and as mentioned messes with our heads in all sorts of ways we may not realise.

2021 should be a great year for drivers like Saints etc, lets hope we see some great racing and surprise results and at least make Merc/Ham work for an eight title to show they deserve it on merit if they get it.

a slightly hidden asset for Merc is Anthony Davidson apparently his 'sim work' is amazing and very skilled at being able to compare various setup changes in his head.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

a slightly hidden asset for Merc is Anthony Davidson apparently his 'sim work' is amazing and very skilled at being able to compare various setup changes in his head.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Ant is a proper racing driver and a very intelligent one at that. As you say his work in the Sim (Paul De Resta too, though maybe not at MB?) pays off big style. Apparently Ant has amazing recall from prior experiences. I've always liked him and would have loved to see him in a competitive F1 drive, but much like Brundle he never quite got the right seat in F1. Demon in WEC though, well both of them in fact.

One swallow does not make a summer ... Rus would need to do a lot more than one decent weekend to be worth a swop with Ham. Ham' race craft over many years is why he is a multiple champion, plus his input into developing the car, something many other drivers do not bring. Just being quick is not enough to consistently win, there are skills required in car set up and feed back etc etc . You need to have the 'full package' and that is quite hard to find. Ham has won races against the odds with technically a slower car sometimes or using 'skill's in the wet to gain an edge, many other drivers have some of these skills, but often not all of them, hence why we say Ver would be quicker if he was given a merc, but he needs to develop his own car and not just be gifted a quicker one.
The list doesn't end there. Add motivating the team to it.
Monday morning and the entire MB F1 team have to give another week of their all for - George who?

A driver's ability to motivate a team is always overlooked. Jochen Rindt took Lotus back from the brink after the death of Jim Clark and Emerson Fittipaldi did the same after Rindt's death.
As a team engineer who would you sooner work for? A seven times champion heading for his eighth (with you potentially being a part of that achievement) or another new guy who nobody outside of the sport has really heard of? Hamilton leads from the front in everything he does.

Monday morning and the entire MB F1 team have to give another week of their all for - George who?

I'm sure once upon a time before Rose tinted glasses there was a morning or two along the lines of...."Lewis who?"...."Michael who?"..."Max who?"...."Fernando who?"

I could go on 😁

I'm not knocking Lewis in any way shape or form, just because it's a different view point does not mean I don't agree with the other side too.

I'm sure once upon a time before Rose tinted glasses there was a morning or two along the lines of...."Lewis who?"...."Michael who?"..."Max who?"...."Fernando who?"

I could go on 😁
not sure Renault/Alpine will be saying "Fernando who ? " ... ;)

I could go on 😁

What you say isn't wrong.
It's just that right now Hamilton is available (and the team pivots around him).

'There are many things a man might discard were he not afraid of another picking them up'.
Wolfe's thoughts will be as Wilde's I suspect.

Monday morning and the entire MB F1 team have to give another week of their all for - another win bonus?

There you go 👍

Latest rumour I've seen is that LH has signed a 1 year contract with a second year option. Only unconfirmed rumour so far!

Ant is a proper racing driver and a very intelligent one at that. As you say his work in the Sim (Paul De Resta too, though maybe not at MB?) pays off big style. Apparently Ant has amazing recall from prior experiences. I've always liked him and would have loved to see him in a competitive F1 drive, but much like Brundle he never quite got the right seat in F1. Demon in WEC though, well both of them in fact.
Yes, something us race / performance engineers and drivers are very used to at the track, this is virtually the same!
The real trick is that after years of continuity and development of drivers, simulator and engineers and the real world, they have got the correlation correct.
That's when the 'game' becomes a real tool.

Out of interest, why do you think MB, Aston, Ferrari and so on are interested in F1 if it doesn’t result in strengthening their brand and selling product?
I’m not sure on an answer to that one but if F1 strengthens the brand so much then why are VW or Porsche not involved?

I’m not sure on an answer to that one but if F1 strengthens the brand so much then why are VW or Porsche not involved?
VW don’t have the resources right now and may not be prepared to to stump up the money to start from scratch. Porsche tried to get in and couldn’t build an engine worth running; too heavy and under-powered. VW had involvement through Audi in WEC and Lamborghini (and of course Porsche). There’s not much doubt that being involved in top level motorsport does strengthen brands.

There’s not much doubt that being involved in top level motorsport does strengthen brands.
Even Toyota. All those years in F1 with a giant crushing annual budget (£400m PA IIRC) and not one race win. Astonishing

Even Toyota. All those years in F1 with a giant crushing annual budget (£400m PA IIRC) and not one race win. Astonishing
Toyota do quite well at LeMans I think ... 🤔 shame the new Lemans hypercar class is delayed.

Toyota do quite well at LeMans I think ... 🤔 shame the new Lemans hypercar class is delayed.
For all their success in WEC, Toyota have only won Le Mans in the era where they are the only team running in the top category. They also blotted their copybook in WRC with turbo irregularities some years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom