Formula 1, Moto GP, WSB, 2021 Season

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Toto called it a tactical foul - I don't think Max would do that but can't be sure now. He demonstrated that yet again he feels he can challenge for position as he likes and that drivers should just move over for him.
Without the Spa farce, LH would have been ahead on points. Would MV have been so blasé yesterday in that circumstance?

Without the Spa farce, LH would have been ahead on points. Would MV have been so blasé yesterday in that circumstance?
MV worried me insofar as he seems to lack any empathy towards anyone he sees as being in his way and is unable to accept any blame.

Racing drivers do have a different mindset when it comes to evaluating risk but there has to be a point in every drivers mental make up where the risk to themselves and others is such that they concede a position to be able to fight for it again.

Ultimately it is just a sport regardless of the enormous sums of money involved and the commercial pressures the teams are under.

Red Bull have an enormous talent in MV but their management approach seems to be to reinforce his ego and project fault on other drivers.

That can only be bad for the sport and MV.

Anything said by the stewards about Verstappen walking on a live track?

With his current level of arrogance I don't see Max backing off. It would take 12 points on his licence and a race ban to do that and he still has 10 points to go before that happens. In the history of the super licence points system no driver has yet accumulated the full 12 points and received a ban which you can view as evidence of success or failure depending how you look at it. But guess which driver has received the most penalty points in total over the years - Max Verstappen. At 2 points an incident it doesn't seem enough of a deterrent at the moment. They can award more points in one go and they can ban a driver outright in one go if the incident is serious enough. So is it Max vs Lewis or Max vs the stewards.

I think that F1 should seriously look at docking championship points rather than superlicence points, time penalties, and grid penalties..

I think the argument at Silverstone was that the penalty given to LH ended up being meaningless. A 5 point or 10 point penalty would perhaps be seem as a fairer outcome.

And in the case of MV - a 10 to 20 point penalty might well dissuade him from being quite so reckless.

It also would mean that a driver might be less inclined to think that a 'tactical foul' was worth the risk when racing wheel to wheel with a competitor who would otherwise be more disadvantaged by a DNF than themselves.

Sadly, I think primarily, Max believes he alone is entitled to space and will not concede space to others under any circumstances. He appears to be prepared to put his car into areas of the track that are already occupied as per yesterday and at Silverstone, have the accident and then consider himself to be totally blameless. Johnny Herbert’s analysis on Sky yesterday was very closely aligned to my own views on recent events.

Early in Max’s F1 career, his propensity for weaving about in the braking zones indicating his lack of respect for fair (and safe) racing, resulted in a change in regulations. I had hoped that by now he would have matured into a racing driver. Instead he remains a very fast, entitled, spoilt brat with a chip on both shoulders.

He's a bit of a Schumacher.
He's a lot of a Verstappen. His father is a bully who has no empathy and unfortunately this has been passed down. I used to be a MV fan but I'm far from it lately which is a shame.
So much promise but sadly too much psychological damage already done and no-one in Red Bull strong enough to enlighten him.

I thought it very appropriate that Zak Brown took the podium with his two drivers.

I can recall a lot of negative stuff said about him a few years ago as he set about getting to grips with the McLaren team.

And George Russell managed a top 10 spot to further cement Williams constructors position as being at the back of the midfield rather than at the back of the field

I thought it very appropriate that Zak Brown took the podium with his two drivers.

I can recall a lot of negative stuff said about him a few years ago as he set about getting to grips with the McLaren team.

And George Russell managed a top 10 spot to further cement Williams constructors position as being at the back of the midfield rather than at the back of the field
How many people know that Zak Brown, Lando Norris and Martin Brundle shared a car in the Daytona 24hr race?
Yes, he really is a racing driver, and one who knows how good Lando was just a few year ago....first hand!

Sadly, I think primarily, Max believes he alone is entitled to space and will not concede space to others under any circumstances. He appears to be prepared to put his car into areas of the track that are already occupied as per yesterday and at Silverstone, have the accident and then consider himself to be totally blameless. Johnny Herbert’s analysis on Sky yesterday was very closely aligned to my own views on recent events.

Early in Max’s F1 career, his propensity for weaving about in the braking zones indicating his lack of respect for fair (and safe) racing, resulted in a change in regulations. I had hoped that by now he would have matured into a racing driver. Instead he remains a very fast, entitled, spoilt brat with a chip on both shoulders.
He sure does and his tweet after the even confirmed what you just said.

Today was very unfortunate. The incident could have been avoided if I had been left enough space to make the corner. You need 2 people to make that work and I feel I was squeezed out of it. When racing each other, these things can happen, unfortunately
So, he knows it requires the co-operation of both drivers if they are both to make a corner but this doesn't apply to him (lap 1, turn 4) and only applies to everyone else.

How many people know that Zak Brown, Lando Norris and Martin Brundle shared a car in the Daytona 24hr race?
Yes, he really is a racing driver, and one who knows how good Lando was just a few year ago....first hand!
Mactech...just write the book I suggested you should write on this very forum a few years back .Let us all in on the behind the scenes stuff during your career. 50% discount on first editions to forum members !!

360 camera footage released. It shows how Max's wheel virtually drove over Lewis' head!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Verstappen is as good a driver as Hamilton, which in my book means he will be remembered in due course as one of the all-time greats. Unlike Hamilton, though, he is reminiscent of at least two other all-time greats, Senna and Schumacher, who were also arrogant and unscrupulous shits in their day.

360 camera footage released. It shows how Max's wheel virtually drove over Lewis' head!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I wonder with this and the Grosjean accident we have finally convinced the anti Halo-ers?
We have lost far too many great drivers when this elementary safety provision was not in place. Ironic that the Paribolica at Monza has just been re-named after Michele Albereto. If he had have been in a closed car, or one with a halo back in 2001, that death could have been avoided.
I was at the at Lautzitring the day he was killed testing with Martin Brundle and Bentley. It was then obvious from the 'blow over' Sports car incidents that the death rate between closed and open cars was 0-5. As many other areas (such as strategy) Sports cars have been ahead of F1.
What still remains is that in F1, all the spectators know the name of every driver. In sports cars, all the drivers know the name of every spectator .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom