Formula 1, Moto GP, WSB, 2021 Season

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All Pirelli`s racing tyres are recycled for other uses. Apparently once chopped up & melted down they are used as soft flooring in horse stables ,kids playgrounds & they are burnt for heating purposes if you believe all the bumf!? This goes back to Goodyears days. Obviously their applications changed along the way as new technique`s for usage have appeared.

'Carbon neutral' on fuel, but what about tyres? How many must be manufactured, transported and disposed of at each race? Has there been a study on how much pollution of all types is caused by F1's throwaway culture regarding tyres?

All Pirelli`s racing tyres are recycled for other uses. Apparently once chopped up & melted down they are used as soft flooring in horse stables ,kids playgrounds & they are burnt for heating purposes if you believe all the bumf!? This goes back to Goodyears days. Obviously their applications changed along the way as new technique`s for usage have appeared.
It's mad that so many tyres are scrapped. On a 'normal' weekend, all the wet tyres are scrapped as once any tyre has been mounted onto a wheel it is deemed as 'used'. They could easily carry them over to the next race. Saves productions costs too, although Pirelli get paid so probably not that bothered. There is talk they may carry them over next year.

It's mad that so many tyres are scrapped. On a 'normal' weekend, all the wet tyres are scrapped as once any tyre has been mounted onto a wheel it is deemed as 'used'. They could easily carry them over to the next race. Saves productions costs too, although Pirelli get paid so probably not that bothered. There is talk they may carry them over next year.
I agree it seems mad, but the tyres are bonded to the rims to avoid slippage. De-mounting them effectively destroys the bead seal.
So why not keep them mounted?
Pirelli always have to have all the tyres back under their control after each event to avoid the technology getting in to the hands of others, and they don't want to be shipping the teams rims....
I would seems like one F1's extravagant practices which could be avoided with a little round table discussion. Maybe use an old rear tyre as the base of the table....:dk:
Yes, next years 18" rims have more bead area and my well not have to be bonded, not sure that has been tested or approved yet.

Very very many years ago one of my friends was British 350 and 500cc motorbike champion. One of his bikes had the same size wheels as mine so I benefitted from his regular cast offs for a few hundred miles at a time. They were amazing at first but fell off the cliff rapidly (fortunately, I didn't!)

F1 2022 Calendar. Sprint races not confirmed yet

skysports-f1-calendar-2022_5547149.png

FP1 in Texas was full of intrigue. Both Mercedes almost a second clear of the field, but VB going to take yet another IC unit with an impending 5 grid slot drop penalty.
With a reducing penalty once a certain number of 'over budget' power units have been taken, is the Mercedes strategy now just to keep the wick turned up and keep plugging in new engines?:dk:
They certainly don't want and an on-track, and very public engine failure.
Yet another twist in the plot!

FP1 in Texas was full of intrigue. Both Mercedes almost a second clear of the field, but VB going to take yet another IC unit with an impending 5 grid slot drop penalty.
With a reducing penalty once a certain number of 'over budget' power units have been taken, is the Mercedes strategy now just to keep the wick turned up and keep plugging in new engines?:dk:
They certainly don't want and an on-track, and very public engine failure.
Yet another twist in the plot!
Interesting video analysis from Paul Di Resta showing how the Mercedes is ‘sitting down’ at the rear once it gets to a certain speed which then stalls the underside/floor reducing drag and give more straight line speed. Must be a challenge to get that right for high speed curves where downforce is needed.

Interesting video analysis from Paul Di Resta showing how the Mercedes is ‘sitting down’ at the rear once it gets to a certain speed which then stalls the underside/floor reducing drag and give more straight line speed. Must be a challenge to get that right for high speed curves where downforce is needed.
Cue an official complaint from Horner/Marko.

Cue an official complaint from Horner/Marko.
According to the Sky pundits, all the teams have this sort of function in the suspension design. Maybe it’s less effective with the high rake cars simply because they are so high at the rear to begin with. But for sure, Whinger Spice and Helmet will be looking for something to complain about…

Yes, this is nothing new and all high downforce cars have been using the reduction of rake effect to some degree or other for over 3 decades.
I first discovered this with some of the very first logging equipment on the '86 Jaguar XJR6 Gp C car. We actually used some of the capacity of the very new engine ECU to log this before data logging was ever a 'thing' on racing cars.
Because the spring rates are normally much lower on the rear of the car than the front, I was shocked when I first found out the real dynamic rake of our cars at high speed.
It was certainly a major contribution to Jaguar's Le Mans win in 1988 as we managed to to 'feather' the cars out with reduced rake (and therefore drag) at 240mph on the 3 mile Mulsanne straight.

Mac, are you sure that wasn't just constriction of the pelvic floor muscle of the driver pulling the car down at 200+mph??:D
:D

I was thinking last night that it (engine penalty) could be a good tactic, if indeed it is not a reliability issue. Throughout a season, if a manufacturer knows they will need to take a new PU, they could tactically take one every few races knowing they can run it at full beans throughout the weekend, get pole and make their way up on certain circuits. This gives them a pool of engines to run at higher power throughout the season. I'm not sure if this is part of the budget cap though.

Great start from Lewis, but an excellent drive from Max. Both firm but fair into Turn 1 (thank goodness). Red Bul executed the undercut well and Max delivered. Lewis and Mercedes need to turn it around or this WDC will slip away. Bottas was poor this weekend, probably demotivated having to take an engine penalty again.

Great start from Lewis, but an excellent drive from Max. Both firm but fair into Turn 1 (thank goodness). Red Bul executed the undercut well and Max delivered. Lewis and Mercedes need to turn it around or this WDC will slip away. Bottas was poor this weekend, probably demotivated having to take an engine penalty again.
The USA seems to have really 'got' F1 now and were very supportive. This can only be a good thing for the sport going forward.
They were treated to a great race and the Texas flavour helped the overall spectacle.
It was another race which just proves that next years regulations can not come soon enough. We really need to rid the cars of the current selfish aerodynamics which don't allow the cars to follow each other anywhere near closely.
Whilst the cars are dramatically quick, this seemingly invisible force field behind the cars is robbing us of so many final acts.....like yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom