Formula One 2017 - General Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Well I thought we need a new thread seeing as the last one was about Nico retiring.

Threads for specific races/race weekends are still a good idea to keep it tidy :)

Well to get us started, Williams have posted a computer generated image of their 2017 FW40

skysports-fw40-f1-williams-high-res_3892540.jpg

skysports-fw40-high-res-williams-f1_3892541.jpg

Well I thought we need a new thread seeing as the last one was about Nico retiring.

Threads for specific races/race weekends are still a good idea to keep it tidy :)

Well to get us started, Williams have posted a computer generated image of their 2017 FW40

skysports-fw40-f1-williams-high-res_3892540.jpg

skysports-fw40-high-res-williams-f1_3892541.jpg

That is a mean looking car. I like the improvements to the rules so far, but still see very little overtaking on track.

That is a mean looking car.

But with lots of aero bits and pieces :fail

F1 seems to have a consistent mental block when it comes to the reliance on aerodynamics.

IMO make the wings smaller - remove the twiddly little aero bits - and make the tyres bigger. Make it so that cars can follow each other closely round corners.

Now I have got to say this, while at the Abu Dhabi GP last year, we sat at the end of the long straight (well, in the seats not the track, but you get my meaning).

Seeing last years F1 cars heading directly towards you at full chat was quite something. And in no way can be said, were the slow.

Maybe corners, they are, but the other thing we noticed was how they leap off like a scaled cat, under acceleration, from the corners. Massively noticeably different from the GP3 cars that went around.

And even if anyone does tell me they are quieter than other formulas. I do have to say, we might need to check what we actually mean by quiet.

Anyhow, I hope these cars are faster all round. then maybe we might be back to something heroic, rather than something just skillful.

And is it me, or am I the only person who shouted YES when Bernie got the boot?

They still have the layers of untidy vanes at the ends of the front wing, in my opinion they look awful. I know their function is to channel air around the tyre and hence reduce drag, but could their number be reduced?

I love the single front wing without a shelf unit at each end of yesteryear's cars, perhaps restrict them to one extra vane?

Now I have got to say this, while at the Abu Dhabi GP last year, we sat at the end of the long straight (well, in the seats not the track, but you get my meaning).

Seeing last years F1 cars heading directly towards you at full chat was quite something. And in no way can be said, were the slow.

Maybe corners, they are, but the other thing we noticed was how they leap off like a scaled cat, under acceleration, from the corners. Massively noticeably different from the GP3 cars that went around.

And even if anyone does tell me they are quieter than other formulas. I do have to say, we might need to check what we actually mean by quiet.

Anyhow, I hope these cars are faster all round. then maybe we might be back to something heroic, rather than something just skillful.

And is it me, or am I the only person who shouted YES when Bernie got the boot?

Did you have ear defenders whilst watching the race? If no...then that's your answer...the old cars were so loud you could not have watched without them...the term "earsplitting" was invented for the old F1 cars.

They still have the layers of untidy vanes at the ends of the front wing, in my opinion they look awful. I know their function is to channel air around the tyre and hence reduce drag, but could their number be reduced?

I love the single front wing without a shelf unit at each end of yesteryear's cars, perhaps restrict them to one extra vane?

Or don't allow any vanes at all ... the wing has to be a single continuous surface with no extrusions or even ridges that extend more than a few mm from the surface - and perhaps a single end plate.

Or even make the rule that the wing cannot extend in front of the tyre ....

Did you have ear defenders whilst watching the race? If no...then that's your answer...the old cars were so loud you could not have watched without them...the term "earsplitting" was invented for the old F1 cars.
I always wear plugs while watching motorsport, so in my case the answer would be "yes". - The noise of old F1 is one of the reasons I never wanted to attend a race in person, but these new engines have me thinking I might like to now.

Try watching a top fuel dragster, now that's LOUD!!

I don't think I can ever remember not looking forward to a new F1 season, but this one really doesn't look exciting at all.

Hopefully 2018 brings some genuine competition.

I remember the old 3.5lts and the 3 ltrs and the 2.4ltrs. I also remember the sound when the reverberated at the back of the grandstand.

My point is, quieter yes. quiet. no. 125db is not quiet. The sound however does not come over on TV thats for sure.

I remember the old 3.5lts and the 3 ltrs and the 2.4ltrs. I also remember the sound when the reverberated at the back of the grandstand.

My point is, quieter yes. quiet. no. 125db is not quiet. The sound however does not come over on TV thats for sure.

On TV you could sometimes hear the tyres squeal and other mechanical noises after they changed to V6s in the first season.

The change in pitch / shriek was the the thing changed the character of it for me. I thought the new engine formula droned a bit.

TV is the name of the game...

I thought 'Life' was the name of the game.

Though I also gather from the same authoritative source that it can be a tame if not played with the correct number of participants.

Former Ferrari employee James Allison has been confirmed at Mercedes as their new Technical Director

James Allison joining Mercedes as technical director | F1 News

1920px-Paddy_Lowe,_Monza_2015.jpg

Not to mention Paddy Lowe's taking up his new position with his old team Williams. After Ross Brawns' departure from Mercedes he was effectively replaced by Lowe and Toto Wolff albeit in different roles. Lowe was the technical analytical guy [ according to Wolff he was virtually the MD of the Brackley factory the last 3 years] whereas WOLFF was more the racer relying more on gut instinct in charge of the all important commercial publicity side. Now that partnership is ending with the arrival of Allison who had seemingly built a very good relationship with Sebastian Vettel at Ferrari. Now quite lot of drivers are out of contract at th end of the 2017 season so who knows maybe Mercedes might like another German in the team next year. Their relationship with Hamilton was certainly a bit rocky several times last year? :dk:

The future's bright...

MCL-32

AU1537171.jpg

1487936401121.jpg

This will certainly increase their visibility at the front or rear of the grid! Lets hope their performance is a bit more " sparkling" this year.;)

I spent weeks looking for the wife's new veg slicer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom