Formula One 2017 - General Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well Mercedes started well in FP1 topping the timesheets, only to go the 'wrong way' with their set up and be way off the pace in FP2.

Nice to see Jenson back in an F1 car, with a lovely overtake on Lewis even though it was only practice!

https://streamable.com/xpyk2

Great stuff Bob. Ill bet Lewis & Jenson both loved that. :thumb:

Looking forward to the Monaco Weekend.

Ant.

I was going to say 'Come on Jenson!' But he's already got a 15 place grid penalty for power unit change. :doh:

It's a real shame Jenson has to take the penalty rather than the team.

Can't believe Lewis was so far off the pace, yet Mercedes managed to set up BOT's car up pretty well.

Well done Kimi on gettiing pole, 129 races since his last one in 2008 (a record!)

I REALLY hope the team allow Kimi & Seb to race. I know he's not everyone's cuppa tea but I've always had a soft spot for ex McLaren man Kimi. Makes me laugh.

https://youtu.be/NTmuwxRw89o

Hope he wins tomorrow. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hamilton trying to push through the field could prove to make it an exciting race! The Mercedes is certainly capable of outpacing all up to P4

Hamilton trying to push through the field could prove to make it an exciting race! The Mercedes is certainly capable of outpacing all up to P4

That's only assuming the team can fix the issue with Lewis's car. Only possible if they can prove to the FIA that it's a Safty concern.

Lewis is in the nice place being able to start on the worst tyre of the two available.

It will be a very interesting race - that's for sure

Ferraris will run and hide I think

Lewis is in the nice place being able to start on the worst tyre of the two available.

It will be a very interesting race - that's for sure

True - start on the Supersoft and hope for a first or 2nd lap safety car, change to Ultrasoft and that's the stop done for the race.:thumb:

That's only assuming the team can fix the issue with Lewis's car. Only possible if they can prove to the FIA that it's a Safty concern.

Am I allowed to suggest that the problem is located behind the steering wheel?

I think he's having on of those weekends where he just phones it in. - Maybe that slide in qualifying rattled him.

I thought it was a great effort by Button given that he's never driven this car before the event, and a shame that it's negated by the penalties.

I'd be inclined to agree with you had the margin not have been so big.

Not sure if he could be that far off the mark TBH. Either way, as ever I'm looking forward to the race. :bannana:

.............................. - Maybe that slide in qualifying rattled him.

No way would that bother him but agree, he may be a bit 'off' this w/e and blaming the car. Still could be an exciting race ...

You sir, are clearly qualified as a Grand Master of Spin of the First Order!

I don't think LH would quite agree.

Remember this is Monaco.:D

My comment to SWMBO watching him part way trough Q2 was that I reckoned he would put it in the barrier if he tried harder.

VB *looked* slower than LH on the in car camera - but was getting better times. I think what we are seeing is LH getting the setup wrong or the feel wrong and basically ending up in a fight where he overdrives to deal with the issues and makes things worse.

Lauda was quoted as saying that Bottas and Hamilton are on "identical set ups" after they recognised the Lewis was struggling on Friday etc. "for some reason, he (Hamilton) cannot get his tyres to work"

Lauda said "it is the tyres" that are the issue for Hamilton and NOT the actual car or set up.

Confidence is king in a circuit like this. If you cannot feel like the car is going where you want it to go with no drama? You will not be as quick as the rest. What we saw yesterday was LH struggling to get grip into the tyres, with limited lap time. That may improve today with longer runs etc.

But then the same logic applies to the rest of the field who will also gain confidence and speed on longer runs. The Ferarri's "should" be long gone by lap 2, if? they can stay apart through the first corner.

Double kick in the teeth for Button.

Firstly, he has to take all of Alonso's engine penalties

Secondly, McLaren only had 2 new spec front wings and as Vandoorne put his in the wall, he has been given Jenson's as he is higher up the grid.

Watching paint dry springs to mind! What a boring race Monaco has become! Not a single overtake, the cars have outgrown this track now.

Yep, not the best race was it?

Shame Kimi couldn't keep ahead of Seb (IMO). Unusual for no Mercs on the podium. :eek:

I wasn't aware The Red Teams last win at Monaco was 2001. :confused:

Glad the Sauber incident was at low speed.

Another poor result for Team McHonda given that this should have been their best points scoring chance of the season. :wallbash:

Wonder how FA will get on in Indy? Does anyone know if/where it will be screened?

Last edited by a moderator:
8 minutes long (on the TiVo, skipping through the mundane bits)

Sorry, but it's had its day as a track for these cars now

8 minutes long (on the TiVo, skipping through the mundane bits)

Sorry, but it's had its day as a track for these cars now

To be fair the Monaco track has been processional for many years. Remember Coulthard in 2001 in his (much faster) McLaren being stuck behind Bernoldi's Arrows for 42 laps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom