Formula One 2017 - General Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whichever way you look at it, deliberately driving your car into an opponent is indefensible. Had it been a minor driver in a minor team, there would have been more draconian penalities awarded in my view.

Because it's Vettel in a Ferrari (and if you like, Hamilton in a Mercedes), the stewards pretty much let things slide.

I can't help wondering that if Hamilton hadn't been forced to pit for his headrest whether Vettel would have received any penalty at all?

I can't help wondering that if Hamilton hadn't been forced to pit for his headrest whether Vettel would have received any penalty at all?

Before hamiltons issues the stewards anounced that they would investigate the incident after the race. :dk:

Whichever way you look at it, deliberately driving your car into an opponent is indefensible.

I'm reminded of a certain Mr Maldonado.

.Had it been a minor driver in a minor team, there would have been more draconian penalities awarded in my view.

Because it's Vettel in a Ferrari (and if you like, Hamilton in a Mercedes), the stewards pretty much let things slide.

Perhaps. But they have the licence points these days and Mr Vettel has picked up rather too many - and may come to rue his actions later in the season should he get a race ban.

I'm reminded of a certain Mr Maldonado.

I know I've posted this many times but I think of this image everytime I see Maldonado's name. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Vettel could face further punishment
Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel could face further sanctions for his intentional collision with Lewis Hamilton during the Azerbaijan Grand Prix at the weekend, which could go as far as a race ban or monetary fine.
It is believed that FIA president Jean Todt is unhappy with Vettel's actions and with how the incident was dealt with by the stewards, who handed the Ferrari driver a ten-second stop and go penalty, which many within the paddock thought was a lenient punishment.

Vettel's Baku antics could however land him a seat in front of the tribunal, with reports from Auto Motor und Sport suggesting Todt is unhappy with Vettel's intentional actions and a belief that the penalty didn't fit the crime – with suggestions the stewards considered disqualifying him from the race, but chose not to as it would have impacted the title fight.
A decision as to whether Todt will take further action is expected ahead of the Austrian Grand Prix next weekend.

Well there's a turnup for the books. I hope my cynicism over Todt and Ferrari is proved humiliatingly misplaced.

"with suggestions the stewards considered disqualifying him from the race, but chose not to as it would have impacted the title fight."

Isn't that what punishment is? :wallbash:

"with suggestions the stewards considered disqualifying him from the race, but chose not to as it would have impacted the title fight."

Isn't that what punishment is? :wallbash:

Normally, yes. However you need to consider how important Ferrari is to F1 etc etc. :rolleyes:

He needs to keep his temper in check. - Rear-ending Hamilton was just a racing incident (and is a not so subtle way of telling him to speed up), but the pulling alongside to swerve at him is not acceptable behaviour.

He would have got the same penalty for overtaking under the safety car (which he essentially did by putting his nose in front before swerving).

I've got a friend who was marshalling in Baku; I'd be interested to hear what those on the trackside thought.

Jean Todt is considering further action..

Agree totally the rear ending was a racing incident and not sanctionable but the road rage that followed should have resulted in a black flag.

DC (I think it was) commented on the use of the safety car as opposed to the VSC as purely for increasing the entertainment factor. Something that's been rife in other series , especially when one team is dominant, to close up the racing.

On a wider theme, I think Baku has shown itself to be unsuited to holding F1 races.

What percentage of laps were run under either a yellow flag or safety car?

On a wider theme, I think Baku has shown itself to be unsuited to holding F1 races.

What percentage of laps were run under either a yellow flag or safety car?

Baku is a very fast Monaco, with overtaking. A great circuit IMHO

It's all about personal preferences of course. I find Monaco the dullest 'race' on the calendar.

It's all about personal preferences of course. I find Monaco the dullest 'race' on the calendar.

You're right. However, ask the drivers which kind of circuit they find the most challanging, rewarding and the biggest buzz. They'd all give very similar answers.

Baku is a very fast Monaco, with overtaking. A great circuit IMHO

Yes. Some tight twisty bits that require skill to keep the car from the wall, then some wider fast parts where cars can be passed.

It's still quite a "young" circuit and I suspect it will improve a little with each year. - For example; last year some of the kerbs weren't bolted to the floor, so they'd lift as cars drove over them.
Similarly the local marshals are pretty inexperienced, which might explain some of the delays. - My friend was given a team to supervise.

Road rage/red mist in a Formula 1 race? Get a grip Vettel you pathetic ****!

He isn't everyone's cup of tea but I have always respected Ron Dennis and truely believe he was passionate about McLaren group and had their best interests at heart.

We watched the McLaren film last week. I think Bruce would be appalled at what McLaren has turned into. It's certainly a world away from the direction he set the company off on all those years ago.

I'm not sure of the solution but as a fan I really hope they find the answer in the near future.

There are reoprts that the BRDC is going to activate a break clause in the contract top host the British GP at Silverstone.

While the chances are this is just a tactic to get the deal revised - it leaves the UK in a precarious position - with Free-To-Air broadcasts disappearing leaving a diminished number of viewers coughing for Sky and no British GP.

It will be interesting to see how Liberty deal with this.

Not sure they'll risk giving the Britsh GP any form of discount. The rest of the world will jump on the bandwagon. It'll be a matter of cough up or loose it I think.

I'm sure the UK government will step in with some cash to rescue it eh? :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom