Forthcoming purchase of SL350 or SL400 - 2013 What should I look out for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kolobos

Car
SL400 AMG Sport 2015
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a 2013 CL350 or an SL400 if I can afford the extra cost and I am interested to know if there are any common faults that I need to look out for?
Also interested to know at what mileage the transmission oil is recommended to be changed? On previously owned C Class and S Class models, this was around 45,000 miles and made a huge difference to the driving experience.
My current budget is around £21,500 and I appreciate that this is outside the bracket for an SL400 at the moment, any help and information will be greatly received. I use an independent Mercedes trained mechanic/garage for any repairs so I can get any work done that I need to, if I cannot do it myself.

Regarding specification I am looking for:
  • Air Scarf
  • Electric wind breaker
  • Harmon Kardon car radio (subwoofer desired if an available option - NOT for annoying people)
  • Rear reversing camera
  • Parking aids/sensors
  • Ambient lighting
  • Rear boot lip spoiler
  • NOT black or silver coloured paintwork
  • AMG Styling/Wheels

Many Thanks,
Steve.

Re servicing needs try checking out this useful site for the service intervals : Mercedes-Benz UK | Electronic Service Sheet

I have a 2013 SL350 and this is what I found:
Yearly : Oil
2 Years : Brake Fluid
3 Years : Rear Axle Oil?
4 Years : Air Filter & Spark Plugs
5 Years : Transmission Oil
10 Years : Fuel Filter, Coolant

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a 2013 CL350 or an SL400 if I can afford the extra cost and I am interested to know if there are any common faults that I need to look out for?
Also interested to know at what mileage the transmission oil is recommended to be changed? On previously owned C Class and S Class models, this was around 45,000 miles and made a huge difference to the driving experience.
My current budget is around £21,500 and I appreciate that this is outside the bracket for an SL400 at the moment, any help and information will be greatly received. I use an independent Mercedes trained mechanic/garage for any repairs so I can get any work done that I need to, if I cannot do it myself.

Regarding specification I am looking for:
  • Air Scarf
  • Electric wind breaker
  • Harmon Kardon car radio (subwoofer desired if an available option - NOT for annoying people)
  • Rear reversing camera
  • Parking aids/sensors
  • Ambient lighting
  • Rear boot lip spoiler
  • NOT black or silver coloured paintwork
  • AMG Styling/Wheels

Many Thanks,
Steve.
Hi Steve. If you search R231 in this forum you will not find many issues or many repeat problems regarding this car. Many/most components have come from the R230 which ran for many years and resulted in modifications for the R231, thus solving the issues. However, you do need to look after the roof seals by cleaning and lubricating them with Crytox or Gummi Fledge every year. You also need to keep the roof drainage channels clean, especially if the car is not garaged. I owned 2 R230s prior to buying my SL400. All great cars IMHO

Hi Steve. If you search R231 in this forum you will not find many issues or many repeat problems regarding this car. Many/most components have come from the R230 which ran for many years and resulted in modifications for the R231, thus solving the issues. However, you do need to look after the roof seals by cleaning and lubricating them with Crytox or Gummi Fledge every year. You also need to keep the roof drainage channels clean, especially if the car is not garaged. I owned 2 R230s prior to buying my SL400. All great cars IMHO
Great thanks.

That's Krytox or Gummi Pflege for the roof seals. 'Gummi Pflege' is actually just German for 'Rubber Cleaner', so any other rubber cleaner might work, but Gummi Pflege has a good reputation for doing the job.

That's Krytox or Gummi Pflege for the roof seals. 'Gummi Pflege' is actually just German for 'Rubber Cleaner', so any other rubber cleaner might work, but Gummi Pflege has a good reputation for doing the job.
+1

You can also treat any grey rubber with olive oil. This will bring the black back! 😃

It's been a while but I have found myself a real beauty, a 2015 SL400 AMG Sport in Hyacinth Red with quite a lot of extras and in MINT condition. Napa leather cooling seats, electric windshield, soft closing doors, Harmon Kardon radio and ambient lighting with possibly other features as I have yet to fully explore the car. So far its superb in my opinion and low milage with full MB service history.

IMG-20210518-WA0005.jpg

Last edited:
It's been a while but I have found myself a real beauty, a 2015 SL400 AMG Sport in Hyacinth Red with quite a lot of extras and in MINT condition. Napa leather cooling seats, electric windshield, soft closing doors, Harmon Kardon radio and ambient lighting with possibly other features as I have yet to fully explore the car. So far its superb in my opinion and low milage with full MB service history.

View attachment 113416
Well worth the wait. Fabulous looking and great spec.

View attachment 113416

mine is your near identical twin ...
FE8CA597-E6BB-4F4D-AFF3-F81EB1E9BEA4.jpeg

View attachment 113416
Lovely car,

mine is your near identical twin ...
View attachment 113417
Ah! that's Lochcarron in the Highlands, I'm off there in 2/3 weeks time I have a cottage booked overlooking the Loch.
I've been trying to find out if the garage has 98RON fuel, I don't suppose you filled up there did you? Every other time I've been up there I've been in the Diesel!

Cheers

Ah! that's Lochcarron in the Highlands, I'm off there in 2/3 weeks time I have a cottage booked overlooking the Loch.
I've been trying to find out if the garage has 98RON fuel, I don't suppose you filled up there did you? Every other time I've been up there I've been in the Diesel!

Cheers
No 98 fuel. But "nearby" Tesco Dingwall has Momentum 99

They have various 98/99 RON in Fort William apparently, I think I'll just top up on the way up and back down 😎
Depends on what route you are taking. There’s a Morrisons in both Fort William and Inverness. Fill up on the way north and that should see you through a good few miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom