Forum Membership

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nifty65

Unhelpful Member
Car
2016 x218 CLS 350
As a recent member to this forum I have already noticed one or two similar traits to a couple of other forums I have belonged to for many years.

My reason for joining the forums is because I am an enthusiast and presume this is most peoples reason. We are not incredibly wealthy people but have a love for the marque and want to do as much restoration and repair as we can ourselves. This to me is the epitome of why people join forums. Relative to the number of people that own these marques we are a small majority but we all have the same aim in common. It is this reason why these forums are friendly and approachable.

I have already noticed that there are some people who probably like to think of themselves as "gurus" and often pipe in with comments that are of no use whatsoever because they never actually explain anything. It's easy to say " I have done that job many times and had no problems" but the questioner is generally asking "how is the job done". IMHO there is nothing worse than someone who allegedly knows an answer but omits to explain it. There is also evidence of independent tradespeople who are only on the forum to try and pick up business. They have no place on general forums and should be restricted to offering their services on a trade section of the forum.

We all learn very quickly from attempting jobs ourselves and it is this exchange of information between like minded people that makes a forum lively and exciting. It matters not whether someones experience is good or bad but we all learn from it and accordingly, shouldn't pass judgement.

Major contributors to forums can sometimes be a bit intimidating but they shouldn't be because of the reason we are all here. Let's face it, if we all had bottomless pits of dough none of us would waste time being on here would we?

Well we get all sorts of people join this forum,as in life some people will help others will not,for the most part this forum is helpful and the depth of knowledge on many subjects is vast,give it a while longer before you make your mind up if you want to be part of it or not,this by far the best forum I have belonged to.

I haven't noticed people here just to pick up trade and generally have found the traders quite helpful over the years
I personally think that the traders that sponsor this site are actually rather quiet.

OP, can you do the decent thing and name those that you’re referring to??

Well we get all sorts of people join this forum,as in life some people will help others will not,for the most part this forum is helpful and the depth of knowledge on many subjects is vast,give it a while longer before you make your mind up if you want to be part of it or not,this by far the best forum I have belonged to.
Fair comment, I am probably premature with my observation, it is a great forum.

There is also evidence of independent tradespeople who are only on the forum to try and pick up business. They have no place on general forums and should be restricted to offering their services on a trade section of the forum.
I am afraid I have to disagree with your comment Sir. I am a member on another MB forum where there are a number of trades people on there and from what I can se they often have a very helpful input. Many times also they have received recommendations from other members where some jobs have been beyond an owners capabilities. All very helpful in my opinion :)

I am afraid I have to disagree with your comment Sir. I am a member on another MB forum where there are a number of trades people on there and from what I can se they often have a very helpful input. Many times also they have received recommendations from other members where some jobs have been beyond an owners capabilities. All very helpful in my opinion :)
I completely concur. We are all trying to to do our best and if the independents advice and guidance is beyond us then we should support them. My point was aimed at those that can help but choose not too.

You will learn to love it on here, very friendly bunch I've been on a few of other forums and im not part of them now as they seemed to be all stuck up there own -----holes but i find this 1 quite knowledgeable with no bias to which model you own or wish to own🙂

I would suggest tempering your views on the Forum a little and particularly with regard to some of our members who operate business.

You have not yet completed a week as a member so I do not believe that you can as yet possibly have a balanced opinion.

Many of those who do run succceeful businesses related to Mercedes etc regularly come on to the Forum and freely give of their time with advice that has proven to be extremely helpful in guiding members in the right direction.

On the whole the Forum is populated with friendly, intelligent, helpful people who often go out of their way to help and support others and often in many areas unrelated to motoring.

Will there be people that you find odd, irritating or frustrating?

Yes, just like in other walks of life.

I have been a member for 10 years now and have formed genuine and close bonds with some and as for those to whom I feel less disposed, well I ignore them.

Let us know your views in a few months?

Ollie at PCS always offers advice and has even posted write-ups and how to videos on fixing Mercedes vehicles, which, given that is how he earns his living, is very unselfish, not just because he could possibly be doing himself out of business, but those posts and videos take time to produce.
Oliie, is one of life's good eggs and we are lucky to have him. He's a smashing lad.

Jay Manek is another trader here that is helpful.

"Let's face it, if we all had bottomless pits of dough none of us would waste time being on here would we?"

That, Graham, is definitely not the case.
We come from all walks of life and spending time on here is most definitely not time wasted, whether rich or poor - not that it makes any difference.

Just in from work, thought I'd have a look in, as i do most days, can't believe what i am reading. I have had all sorts of car's over the years and joined many different forums, mainly for advice with all manner of problems. I have always got a good response from the knowledge bank that a forum is. I have also passed on said knowledge to other members who may have missed a post that was years before they joined the forum. You will only get out what you put in as with many things in life you have to put some effort in. In the main this forum is about MB vehicles that people own or use or on some occasions abuse and then come and ask how to fix it only to break it again, they always get an answere and fix it again, you know why, because we like to help each other with the one thing we all have in common, our own personal pride and joy, a
MERCEDES-BENZ
All the advice is free and if a trader wants to offer you something you can always say thanks but no thanks.
The same goes for the advice you get on here, not every answere is a 💯 percent, usually only 99.9
Stay for a while, you might have fun.

PS, forgot to mention, i have just won a set of front green stuff pads from EBC on another forum.

Let's face it, if we all had bottomless pits of dough none of us would waste time being on here would we?
Oi! I have a bottomless pit of dough, but I'm still here!

(My job? I work in the baker's at Asda...)

Tiger bread is the best from Asda!
Tiger bread always sold out when I get there - so much for E55BOF and his bottomless pit of dough :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom