Forum Membership

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What does OP mean please?

As above, 'original poster' i.e. person who started the thread. You get a little banner added to your avatar to identify you :)

Capture.JPG

Original Poster 😎
That would be me then :thumb: thank you.

For those interested in the initiation of this post may I refer you to my first post titled "X218 CLS350 Fuel Filter Access" under Technical; Engine.

It is hoped that you will see my question as enquiring, pleasant and friendly and completely at odds to the few out of context comments that this thread has unfortunately provoked.

My original question was straightforward but remains unanswered. All responses received were gratefully acknowledged and some tips have been useful to follow up. The one "authority" that responded was asked if the job had been done on this particular vehicle because it is inherently different to other 350's. I was essentially advised that there was virtually no job this authority would not have tackled. I also acknowledged this and remain hopeful that a solution might be forthcoming. I do not believe this job has been undertaken on this particular model otherwise the contributor would have immediately been aware of the access issues.

For those interested in the initiation of this post may I refer you to my first post titled "X218 CLS350 Fuel Filter Access" under Technical; Engine.
I just had a read of that thread and it looks like you got some great replies/support? :)

I echo the comments made on this thread. This forum is one of the best and yes sometimes there are sarcastic or off topic posts made (usually in jest) but they are a good bunch on here. The sponsors are not just here to make business, even though they pay to advertise here. They have helped many members over the years free of charge. I have been Merc-less for 3 years now and don't have any plans to buy another in the near future however I am still here every day. Why? Because it's a great forum. I try and give back too, I still have access to WIS and EPC and try and help with part numbers and diagrams etc.

Give it time, I'm sure you will warm to the place. I've been on much, much worse forums.
Just to add, last year due to Covid, it was optional to donate to the forum as the traders were all closed and it was a way to help them out. In turn, they have their names in blue and were labelled 'supporters'. Just take a look at how many have that under their name, shows how many were willing to help keep the forum alive.

I just had a read of that thread and it looks like you got some great replies/support? :)
Don't get me wrong all responses are gratefully received and welcomed but they have all only been loosely relevant to my vehicle so I am just as much in the dark as when I started.

Changing a fuel filter is a 20 minute job and I have done it dozens of times on a variety of Mercs but this one is different and unless someone has actually done it on a current CLS then they cannot know what is involved.

Maybe the "authority" is busy fixing Mercedes and doesn't spend 24/7 on this site to answer your query? Give him some time to reply perhaps?

Posting a question on a public forum is a bit like 'Ask the audience' on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

You'll likely get several answers, some of which are bound to wrong (or irrelevant), and you'll have to pick the one you want to go with.

Anyone who is uncomfortable with this, should simply not use the 'Ask the audience' lifeline when a contestant on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.

Whatever this forum is or isn't, it isn't a modern day version of Popular Mechanics. If an answer to a question posed is known then it will appear but there's few enough here who conduct their own maintenance.

To do any job on any vehicle, what has to be removed for access has to be removed - whatever it may be. That most cars require removal (or partial) of undertrays is just how it is. Radiators also on occasion. Understanding that these cars are designed to be worked in in workshops equipped with lifts helps.

If simplicity of servicing and maintenance is a high priority avoid cars that are so densely packed. You make your choice and pay your money - then pay more if you've chosen a hard to work on car either by buying the required tools or paying someone who has them to do the work. Maintenance costs should be factored in at point of purchase. After nearly 15 years with a smart fortwo I replaced it with a redneck express truck. The forum I frequent in relation to it is much more hands-on with the tools and advice. But it's a truck - not a sophisticated saloon that people here only want to drive, not get down and dirty underneath. Enough said.

Now that IS an example of a typical Trolling comment unworthy of this forum

I don’t see that as trolling. From what i can see you have been treated with courtesy and respect with members offering their best advice.

You risk being accused of having an inflated sense of entitlement and a lack of patience and humility.

If simplicity of servicing and maintenance is a high priority avoid cars that are so densely packed.

Yup - buy the biggest car you can with the smallest engine possible, and you’ll have plenty of space in the engine bay!

Haha yes, I have the OM642 3.0 V6 CDI in our W639 and replacement of the exhaust manifolds was an engine-out job.

Yup - buy the biggest car you can with the smallest engine possible, and you’ll have plenty of space in the engine bay!
So spacious underneath that small birds perch on its propshaft. That happens!

Haha yes, I have the OM642 3.0 V6 CDI in our W639 and replacement of the exhaust manifolds was an engine-out job.

I recently scrapped the 1987 Toyota Previa which we had from new. It still had the original factory-fitted spark plugs, because replacing them was an engine-out job... four spark plugs, engine-out job... can you image that? The engine is under the front seats.

Also, any transverse V6 with one row of plugs hidden between the engine and the bulkhead... or longitudinal V8 show-horned into a small sports car, where the rear spark plugs are somewhere under the windscreen... avoid.

I don’t see that as trolling.
Of course not, it wasn't aimed at you.

No need to say anymore; I have been more than pleasant in every contribution as have the majority of responders

I'm reminded of the Busso V6 - in the 116 GTV and 75 there was enough room to stand in the bay between engine and rad. Changing the cambelt was childs play.

Then they went front wheel drive, and you needed either the services of a proctologist or to remove the engine completely :wallbash:

Of course not, it wasn't aimed at you
Sounded like it was aimed at the forum as a whole.
I wouldn't ask any more questions, just go to the stealers or get yourself a nice a cortina

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom