Forum threads with HTML links

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
For my sins I am a mod on a small car forum. We've had a request from a large tyre supplier to remove all links to their website from the forum.

The path of least resistance is to comply and remove these links. But we don't wish to generate ongoing work having to remove future links.

My question is simply: Is this a reasonable and legally backed request? The thread in question was in support of the tyre supplier, so there is no question of defamation.

Cheers.

If you have had an official request to remove them, then you must comply. The next step would be for the tyre company to take out an injunction against the forum and if it is one of the big boys they will have no hesitation in doing so. The penalties of not complying with an injunction are severe and the court would want to know your reasons for not complying with the original request and on what grounds you refused this could lead to more penalties

I think the path of least resistance + a sticky to members of your forum not to post links to the company in question, then should you ever need to this can be used in your defence

Hope that helps

Did they cite any grounds? A link is not a breach of copyright, defamation or any other real issue. However, you mention a thread, so perhaps even though it is in support of them, is there something in it that they might reasonably object to?

Unless there is a good reason it is silly and no doubt without legal justification, but they are big and you are small, and life sometimes is too short for someone who wants to make your life difficult (and lawyers don't need any reason to make your life a misery).

Either that or tell them to sling their hook and publicise how they are putting pressure on you for no reason. Companies hate bad publicity!

'Official' might be a too strong a word here. It was just a brief email requesting the link to be removed. As it happens, there was no HTML link as such, just the URL.
No reason for the request was given.
The thread in question is over 5 years old!

It's no bother to remove the URl, but it would be a pain having to monitor all future threads for such URL content.

The email looked script generated to me. So I suspect an IT guru wrote a script to surf all motoring forums and generate subsequent emails making this request. I wouldn't be too surprised if MBClub have received the same.

If you have had an official request to remove them, then you must comply.

I agree with everything except this - a request without basis in law can be ignored like junk mail.

If I said this was an official request - would you remove the post? A company has no more rights to suppress comment than any other person. It may have more money, but that's different.

If it's gmail, I think it best ignored.

Apologies. I should have been a bit quicker to notice the email address anomaly.

I agree with everything except this - a request without basis in law can be ignored like junk mail.

If I said this was an official request - would you remove the post? A company has no more rights to suppress comment than any other person. It may have more money, but that's different.

I think if copyright or trademark is involved it may be different (which I suspect it may be if this is one of the big boys)

I'm no expert on this and neither is SWMBO as she steps away from this area as it is extremely difficult and complex to prosecute or defend, but ignorance is also no defence. So if it were me I would rather remove the link than try and take on the big boys. I'm not saying that's right but It' what i'd do :thumb:

EDIT: Totally agree anything other than from a verifiable corporate e mail address can be ignored

Satch should that not read the "There is only one true God and that is Google. Any heresy that might besmirch the name of Google must be obliterated and cast down into the pits of fire and damnation for ever" --tool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom