forward-facing cameras in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BarryS

Car
CLK 270CDI
pa.press.net - 12.01.2007 15:32

Speed cameras to face forwards
Forward-facing speed cameras are to be tried out in a bid to stop motorists trying to avoid penalty points, it has been announced.

The cameras, which will reveal the driver's identity, will be introduced at two sites in Upper Thames Street in central London.

If successful, the trial could lead to more sites being considered by the London Safety Camera Partnership.

The forward-facing cameras will support existing rear-facing ones. A digital image of the front of speeding cars will be taken, while a traditional speed camera will also capture an image from the rear.

Some people caught speeding attempt to avoid penalty points on their licence and a fine by claiming not to have been driving the vehicle when it was photographed.

London Mayor Ken Livingstone's road safety ambassador Jenny Jones said: "These additional cameras are aimed at the minority of drivers on London's roads who think they can break the law and get away with it.

"We are determined to close the legal loopholes, catch the rogue drivers who put others at risk, and have a consistent approach to traffic law enforcement in London."

Chris Lines, head of Transport for London's road safety unit, said: "Some motorists believe they are above the law and should be able to speed without facing the legal consequences.

"Speed is a contributory factor in a third of fatalities in London and we hope trialling these cameras will enable us to stop motorists who endanger lives by speeding.

"We have proved in London that speed cameras do cut death and injury on the roads. Our new speed awareness workshops reinforce the message that speed cameras are about saving lives."

I don't wish to enter into the speeding debate (There's enough threads about it here to fill up the U.S's land!). However, when you're doing nightshift work delivering newspapers and mags to shops, you cannot go around at 30mph, its unrealistic, and work wouldn't get done. 40mph is more realistic, seeing as London is dead at 3am.

Get a motorbike - drive like a hooligan with impunity around forward facing cameras :devil:

[sits back and waits to be flamed]

Sp!ke said:
Get a motorbike - drive like a hooligan with impunity around forward facing cameras :devil:

[sits back and waits to be flamed]
No flames but fortunately these will take pictures from both directions.

You're f****d.;)

Silestanix said:
I you cannot go around at 30mph, its unrealistic, and work wouldn't get done. 40mph is more realistic

Shame it's the law then.
I think you will find it makes virtually no difference to your overall journey time as the lights are phased against speeding.

If Upper Thames Street gets anymore cameras they are going to have to seriously think about getting sponsored by Kodak:rolleyes:

Dieselman said:
Shame it's the law then.
I think you will find it makes virtually no difference to your overall journey time as the lights are phased against speeding.

Honestly, you'd think it wouldn't, but it does. Each to their own though...

Dieselman said:
Shame it's the law then.

true, you need to do either 25 or 85 to catch them all on green ;)

Last edited:
We have some 20 limits around me and I must say its real hard to drive at that speed.

None of the vehicles I have like to drive at 20mph, unlike at 30mph where I guess they've been designed to run happily. At 20mph it requires near constant concentration on your speed with constant throttle correction.

I must say, absolutely no-one adheres to the limit at all, including the local police and ambulances.

Last edited:
20mph limits are asking for trouble...No one will adhere to it, because no one wants to go around in 1st gear, 2nd gear in Any car will cause it to judder and shake because it's too high a gear for that speed...Fiesta's and Punto's all stall at 20mph if you're not in 1st because of the gearing.... :\

There's 2 around here, and as above, no one adheres to it, including the local Met Police.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom