Fossil Ivory gear shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy_k

MB Enthusiast
Car
Alfa GTV 3.0
as the header says, custom gear shifts made from any material including fossil ivory (very expensive)

I was talking to a friend who is one of the top wood turners in the world this afternoon, he said he can lathe virtually any material to create custom gear shifts including peoples own designs.

More exclusive than any commercial product and price dependent on design and material specified

here's a CG example of an ivory one

ivory.jpg

any interest - then let me know

Andy

The short answer is yes

the longer answer is..........

he'll do them for any car provided there is a "pattern" to measure from - the difference seems to be that the manuals have a 10mm thread whilst the autos have a 7.5 mm shaft. The way we were looking at them today was that making them all with a 10mm threaded aperture and supplying a threaded sleeve to fit the auto shaft would be the best way but that is still open to debate :)

Andy

As its fossil ivory ...I wonder how much this would cost ??

lol Sanjay - very expensive would be the conservative estimate :)

depending on the quality of the fossil used the price starts from around £150 per kilo dependent on availability (and that's not particularly great quality - the higher the quality the higher the price) and to mill a gear knob would need about 1 kilo as a starting point.

Add to that about 4 hours work milling and finishing etc which as the guy is retired he's willing to negotiate on you are looking at upwards of £200 for a fossil ivory one - serious accessory though :)

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom