Found a CLS, too good to be true?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrManual

Car
Vauxhall of sorts
Newbie here so please let me know if I’ve posted in the wrong place but what do we think about this?

Auto Trader UK - New and Used Cars For Sale

The steering wheel and gear lever look like they need a good clean but other than that? MOT history looks questionable as it had no MOT in 2020 and for some reason it’s done barely 100 miles in 1 year!

Has this been clocked?

The last v5 was issued on the 02 oct 2011 and was for sale on the 21 Nov 2018 mileage of 75,000 at £6k
Tax expired 01 dec 2019👍

The owners can't be confirmed its coming up as a?

The last v5 was issued on the 02 oct 2011 and was for sale on the 21 Nov 2018 mileage of 75,000 at £6k
Tax expired 01 dec 2019👍
How did you find this information out? Thank you for finding this out, I’m guessing this would be one to stay away from?

Its available on total car check free

Attachments

• IMG-20211110-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20211110-WA0000.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG-20211110-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20211110-WA0001.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 42
Who lists a car for sale and posts detailed photos without first at least cleaning the gunk of a thousand unwashed Cnut hooks off the steering wheel ? . What else might have been missed ?

The engine bay shot looks like the car has air suspension , this could be a considerable extra risk/cost on a 2005 car (unless this is something you are aware of ) ?

Who lists a car for sale and posts detailed photos without first at least cleaning the gunk of a thousand unwashed Cnut hooks off the steering wheel ? . What else might have been missed ?
Quite. Being at a supposed dealer it wouldn’t inspire me to go look I must say.

Nothing in the MoT history would put me off, and it's a lovely colour combination. I'm sure it does have Airmatic, so you take your chances with that. The engine and gearbox are pretty bombproof. It's been more-or-less standing for four years, and now somebody's bit the bullet and sold it to a dealer, but that wouldn't necessarily put me off either. The manky steering wheel doesn't help, but if the service history is decent, and it drove OK and sits level, if I wanted one I'd go and see it.

The M113 5.0 V8 is pretty bulletproof. The common things that give trouble are the cam cover gaskets leaking (once done will last another 10 years), window regulators & air suspension. Don't let the air suspension put you off, a good indy can sort it with aftermarket parts at a not unreasonable cost. It would be wise to get a pre-purchase inspection done, that'll cost anywhere between 130 to 200 quid. The low mileage is in it's favour. Mine's been reliable the last 6 years. Oh & be aware the annual RFL is currently £590.

Last edited:
Bid on a similar car today at an auction. 2008, 69k miles, 10 service stamps, excellent condition... but no MOT.
Went for £5.5 to trade, as a point of reference.

The M113 5.0 V8 is pretty bulletproof. The common things that give trouble are the cam cover gaskets leaking (once done will last another 10 years), window regulators & air suspension. Don't let the air suspension put you off, a good indy can sort it with aftermarket parts at a not unreasonable cost. It would be wise to get a pre-purchase inspection done, that'll cost anywhere between 130 to 200 quid. The low mileage is in it's favour. Mine's been reliable the last 6 years. Oh & be aware the annual RFL is currently £590.
Road tax is £340 PA its a 2005

OP, see my post #11. It's a good-looking, classy car with decent performance. I'd go and see and drive it, and if it's OK, and the service history is good, haggle a bit and get it bought...

Bear in mind, though, that it's a complicated car and was expensive new, and expensive cars retain high running costs even when they're old. Be prepared for that, and don't expect to run it on a shoestring; you might be lucky, you might not. If reliability and low running costs are essential, buy a Toyota or a Honda...

The engine bay shot looks like the car has air suspension , this could be a considerable extra risk/cost on a 2005 car (unless this is something you are aware of ) ?
I think all 500s have airmatic. shouldnt be a worry at that mileage.

Very nice colour combination good mileage and a lot of potential, with a good deep clean and deatail, to be a nice car. The 113 n/a engine is a wonder of power and silence. Loved the 211 E500 i had for 6 years. Its a rather unusual spec with no heated seats but with keyless go. I love keyless go but the door handles do fail on a pretty regular basis at about £200 a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom