Foxes - Grrr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anil

Car
C200 CDI
We often come out to find that foxes have walked over the cars overnight and have left muddy footprints on the cars. :doh:
This morning I found a small clump of fur on the bonnet of the W203 as well as footprints, and later in the day I noticed that the phone ariel has been CHEWED - to the extent that the wire is now exposed! :mad:

Is this easy to replace? Phone reception seem to be unaffected, but the ariel is a mess!
Also - does anyone have any effective fox deterrent tips?

Sorry to hear this...
Outdoor Ultrasonic Detectors, can be sourced from Homebase or Robert Dyas...
although the neighbours cats and dogs might start howling, or even the neighbours themselves, but it works......

Im not an animal crueltist, but I love my car more, and neighbours should their pets inside in the night, and foxes are wild animals, who shouldnt be in built up areas.

Sorry to hear this...
Outdoor Ultrasonic Detectors, can be sourced from Homebase or Robert Dyas...
although the neighbours cats and dogs might start howling, or even the neighbours themselves, but it works......

Im not an animal crueltist, but I love my car more, and neighbours should their pets inside in the night, and foxes are wild animals, who shouldnt be in built up areas.

I might get one of these. The foxes don't climb on my cars but they do cr*p in the pot plants by my frontdoor and garage doors - not nice when you've got young kids. And come to think about it they climb all over my shed and cr*p up there too! And chew to destruction various kids toys left on the lawn.....

Also - does anyone have any effective fox deterrent tips?

I generally favour a keen eye and a 12 bore - however this may not work so well if the fox is on your car at the time :doh:

foxes are wild animals, who shouldnt be in built up areas.

well perhaps you should go around and tell them all :)

My guess is that they would see it slightly differently

Around here, the urban foxes are incredibly tame. One regularly walks alongside me when I take the dogs out late at night and we see others playing in the garden.

I'd far rather have a few footprints on the car every once in a while than not have all the wild life

those ultrasonic pet deterrants are a nightmare. My neighbour has one because he says cats keep crapping on his vegetable patch, but it means every time we go in our garden, we can hear a really high pitched whine, as if suffering from tinnitus. I've had a word with him about it a few times and asked him if he can turn it off during daylight hours as it is annoying. He says he can't hear it, butwe can, and our other neighbors can and cats still crap in his garden anyway. Thankfully, he seems to have stopped using it. But be warned, you could start a fued if you fire one up.

My Mrs put mothballs on the front drive to stop the foxes, it worked, Trouble is they now just do their thing in the back garden instead.

Don't know if this is an old wives tale human hair stuffed into an old stocking hung about the garden is supposed to ward them off!!

Never tried it so can't comment

We had a bad experience with urban foxes when we lived in Sidcup. I had always thought that foxes being akin to dogs rather than cats couldn't climb walls...So wrong!
The kids left the rabbits out one night and didn't put them in the hutch. We heard foxes howling in the middle of the night but thought they were in the streets and didn't put 2 and 2 together. Woke up in the morning to find one rabbit gone and one left behind ...a headless corpse. We were all so upset and kids didn't get over it for quite a while. We resorted to sonic deterrents with some successs until some neighbourhood kids decided to vandalise the unit left in the front garden. I found the best deterrent was a rag dipped in some foul smelling liquid. Can't remember what it was called but it is now illegal and no longer on sale.
Since we moved haven't seen one fox in the lake district. Loads of sheep though.

We often have one come in our back garden i assume for the cat food.

Even see them at work one was even in the workshop the other night just looking at me cheeky sod.

Never had any bother with them but would be annoyed if they got on my car, what about peeing up the car wheels to mark your territory just like lorry drivers do:D

Lynall

Jeyes Fluid!, just seen an advert for it, and it reminded me. Use this, it apparently works well to discourage them.

what?!

Sorry to hear this...

and foxes are wild animals, who shouldnt be in built up areas.

You could try putting up a 'NO Foxes Allowed' sign; but could they read it?!!

We have a fox with a den at the bottom of our garden. I regularly feed him/her as its a good animal to have around. It keeps rats, mice, voles, moles, cats etc out of the garden. I deal with the pigeons and magpies myself. The fox kindly clears up after me;) I wouldnt get rid of it myself. Sure it marks its territory (so I guess its a bloke) but whats a small amount of volpine urine going to do!

What I would love to know is how deep the den goes. I'm thinking of putting a camera down there!

I tried the mothball trick and it does work.
Unfortunatly as you walk in the front garden you think an old codger lives there, from the smell.
(Yes apart from me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom