France bans sat navs with speed camera warnings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
French supermarkets -- I got 6 at Super U (my wife drinks almost as much as the AMG!!) for €5.50.

I guess they are no use in UK as our limit is higher..... then again - taxis work well.

They had them at our local Halfords when we were in a couple of weeks ago. I guess a lot would have been sold before Easter.

I recently heard about the new breathalyser law from another motoring organisation. I thought I'd read about the speed camera detector law in another thread here.

I've also read that the Gendarmerie don't check your TomTom to see if camera detection is switched on - they just confiscate the whole thing!! The answer is to not have it visible at any time, even when parked.

Apparently MB's COMAND doesn't include camera detection because of the laws against it in various European countries. They have enough trouble with rust, without building a car that's illegal in some of the major countries where it's sold!

I keep it simple; don't bother going to France... lol

When unavoidable I usually fly there and use the RER

High vis, spare bulbs, ditch the sat nav, etc etc etc

:wallbash:

As above if TomTom have agreed with the French govt. that they can warn of 'Danger Zones' there will be no reason whatsoever to have them confiscated.

French speed camera locations have been automatically removed whenever you docked your TomTom for some time now (since the new law first came in).

As above if TomTom have agreed with the French govt. that they can warn of 'Danger Zones' there will be no reason whatsoever to have them confiscated.
You try telling that to frog-plod who is suddenly unable to speak any English as he unbuttons his gun holster.

The breathalyser kit law was due to come in on March 1 2012, but has now been delayed until July 1 2012 due to supply issues.

The €11 fine for not having one comes into effect on 1 November 2012.

I'll probably stock up on our next trip in June.

Whilst we are on the subject of France....

15 Strange and Funny Laws in France;

1. Between the hours of 8AM and 8PM, 70% of music on the radio must be by French artists.

2. It is illegal to kiss on railways in France.

3. No pig may be addressed as Napoleon by its owner.

4. It is forbidden without a cemetery plot to die on the territory of the commune.

5. An ashtray is considered to be a deadly weapon.

6. In Antibes, it is illegal to take photos of police officers or police vehicles, even if they are just in the background.

7. It is illegal to shoot Englishmen as they cross the English Channel towards France - unless they are sailing in a 'boat of war'.

8. In France, it is legal to marry a dead person!

9. In France, if an athlete doesn't play for the national team he/she can be banned from playing for his/her club.

10. In France, it is against the law to sell dolls that do not have human faces.

11. Paris: It is illegal for women to wear trousers.

12. Paris: Any man carrying onions must be given right of way in the streets.

13. Paris: Criminals can apply for sanctuary in Notre Dame Cathedral and must be 'fed and watered' for up to six weeks.

14. Paris: Touching a woman's bottom is considered illegal on Paris's Metro underground system, but touching their breasts is still allowed

15. In a region of the Rhone, it is illegal for UFOs to fly over vineyards.
..................................................................................................

Looks like I will be spending my holiday this year on Paris's Metro underground.

Then it's a quick dash to Notre Dame Cathedral whilst carrying my onions.

Not wanting to leave out the Germans

10 Strange and Funny German Laws

1. Every office must have a view of the sky, however small.

2. A pillow is classified as a "passive weapon" and hitting someone with one can lead to charges of assault.

3. It is illegal to wear a mask while on strike.

4. It is illegal for ones car to run out of gas on the Autobahn.

5. It is against the law to mention the date 1966 in any football ground.

6. It is illegal to tune pianos at midnight.

7. It is against the law to deny a chimney sweep access to your home if he demands it.

8. It is illegal to have the ashes of your loved one stored in an urn at home after cremation.

9. In Munich: During Octoberfest no person is ever legally drunk – no matter how much alcohol they have consumed.

10. In Munich: By law a pub can never be overcrowded – there is always room for one more drinker at each table – no matter how squashed people are.

Munich it is then.

Saving the best for last.......The Yanks !!!

It's too large to paste but well worth the read.

A couple of examples;

1. If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

2. You may not fart in a public place after 6 PM.

3. No one may carry an ice cream cone in their back pocket if it is Sunday.

Strange and Funny United States Laws | Best Hoaxes and Pranks

Apologies I should have posted the above in off topic threads. :doh:

Over Easter my TomTomLive XXL refused to work once we got off the ferry - luckily I knew where we were going, my wife's parents house. It said it needed to be updated before using, despite working fine in the Uk, and being under 6 months old.

Once at the mrs parents house I hooked it up to my lap top and updated it, and sure enought it worked fine, with quite a few useful new features uploaded to it.

The TomTom usually warns of both fixed and mobile speed cameras/traps - now in France the speed camera warning is simply replaced with a hazard warning, both for mobile and fixed traps.

Basically if you hadn't updated your TomTom, it won't work in France until you have - the good news is it still tells you where the traps are.

The speed traps on the Autoroutes often only inform the police at the next peage you are speeding, and they simply pull you over when you get to it, and fine you. Happened to my father in law many times in his C4S.

I'm in France and my TomTom is working fine?

Beware of the Peage stations, many now have radars above every lane on gantry and they are there to enforce the slowing down speed limits as you approach the toll booths. I know an English chap who was done for not slowing down quickly enough. They tend to fine the tourists the maximum amount as they usually can't make points stick.

They are also very quick to take your licence if you really exceed the limit. A client of mine had his taken after they stopped him in his SLK doing 180kph, he said he's seen them and slowed down from about 220kph :D. I had to go and pick him up and drive his car home while he travelled back in the car with my mrs. I can see why he got done. It was a struggle to keep it under 130. :D

Not wanting to leave out the Germans

10 Strange and Funny German Laws

4. It is illegal for ones car to run out of gas on the Autobahn.

I'm told this one applies in the UK as well - i.e. it is illegal to run out of petrol on a motorway...

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom