France route advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welland99

Car
W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
On Saturday, I'll be returning from south burgundy (digoin) to Calais. We'll be fully loaded (in the s210:)) so would prefer to stick to motorways. The route we usually take is to The east: Chalon, Dijon, Troyes, Reims, etc...

I am wondering if we'd save any time going west: A77, then a6 towards Paris. Then N104 east, then either:
1) a4 to Reims and a26 to Calais, or
2) a1 to Arras and a26 to Calais.

The big unknown factor to me is traffic around Paris.

Any comments or experience to report?

I'd do the route you always do, it flows exceptionally well in my experience. I'd stay well away from Paris at all costs.

Do not mess with Paris. We do Yorkshire to near Avignon by car and return twice a year and always do the Eastern autoroute run - Orange, Lyon, Dijon, Reims, Calais and the tunnel. Since the online guides often suggest Paris we have tried it more than once, and both ways, but it's never quicker, and always more stressful. More traffic, more road changes, and, unusually once, serious roadworks with a big diversion.

Well we are in the alps and headed down to near Dijon on the first leg of our trip. Absolutely no hold ups. 130kph fully loaded in the S212 the whole way with 4bikes on the back. The roads just ran very clear. If the French didn't like to tailgate it would be much better too!

Really to drive 500miles without a hold up is excellent. We bought the Sanef toll widget too so pretty much straight through all the tolls too. 4euros well spent!

Avoid Paris.

That journey is 5 hours max on a Sunday on your usual route, Paris can add 2 hours no problem.

I did that journey, well from Beaune, in 6 hours in deep snow, one lane of the autoroute only. So no point going any other way imho.

Mate took this pic as the weather was so bad...
snow.jpg

Got to love winter tyres!!

I'd do the route you always do, it flows exceptionally well in my experience. I'd stay well away from Paris at all costs.

Thanks. Are you The Charles Morgan from Malvern? I'm wearing my Morgan T_shirt right now (and, yes, I do live in Malvern).

Alas no. Not even a distant relative.

Although I did buy a Morgan Plus 8 from Charles Morgan's brother in law!

A very nice place to live - and next door to that super shrine to proper British sports cars!

Alas no. Not even a distant relative.

Although I did buy a Morgan Plus 8 from Charles Morgan's brother in law!

A very nice place to live - and next door to that super shrine to proper British sports cars!

Oh well, that's better than a t shirt!

What's the car in your profile? It seems to resemble a Morgan, but on my phone, the pic is miniscule, and does not seem quite right to be a Morgan.

As above there are 2 places you definitely avoid driving in Europe

In and around Paris
The Brussels Ring

Both these take you into unknown time to travel territory which is not good if you are trying to make a channel crossing

On Saturday, I'll be returning from south burgundy (digoin) to Calais. We'll be fully loaded (in the s210:)) so would prefer to stick to motorways. The route we usually take is to The east: Chalon, Dijon, Troyes, Reims, etc...

I am wondering if we'd save any time going west: A77, then a6 towards Paris. Then N104 east, then either:

Took a fully loaded 210 down to Montpellier via Paris and only did it to cross the Milau viaduct.

We went home the Dijon, Troyes Reims etc route and prefer it as we had no hold ups apart from lyon.

The tr

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MBClub UK

Took a fully loaded 210 down to Montpellier 3 weeks ago via Paris and only did it to cross the Milau viaduct. Paris, even on a Sat morning was a pain.

We went home the Dijon, Troyes Reims etc route and prefer it as we had no hold ups apart from lyon.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MBClub UK

Oh well, that's better than a t shirt!

What's the car in your profile? It seems to resemble a Morgan, but on my phone, the pic is miniscule, and does not seem quite right to be a Morgan.

Not a Morgan as you surmised correctly - it is an Allard M type drophead from 1949, complete with flathead Ford 4.2 V8, I would suggest a direct inspiration for the later Plus 8s.

A better pic:

sideonSydney_zps75642f87.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom