France this weekend! need a Jerry can

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Car
W168, W169 & S202
We are visiting to Paris this weekend :doh:, Due to the shortages of Fuel I need at France. Does anyone have a spare Jerry Can they could lend me for the weekend?

Prefrebly west London area pickup

Any advice from anyone who knows the situation first hand at France would also be very much welcomed.

Just buy one, they don't cost much!

Machine Mart & Screwfix sell the 20L ones.

Not going on the Eurotunnel are you? Don't think they like the big Jerry cans although you can get away with a 5L one

What are you going to be driving?

I would have thought you could get from Dover to your destination and back to Dover again oin the one tank of fuel easily.

I think the latest info indicates you will need a good fire extinguisher.

At least the roads will be pretty clear. Only the brits driving along them!

Just hope there are no idiots stabbing car fuel tanks with screwdrivers and trying to steal the fuel like back in the UK protests!

Take 4 cans and sell the excess to cover your trip :D

I do Vin with a spout as well.... wanna meet up?

Awesome! yes please :)

I'll be taking the A Class and travelling by ferry for the crossing.

Le Shuttle

I've been looking for the rules on the Eurotunnel website but can't readily locate any info about whether you can carry extra fuel.

I'm off to near Beziers on Thursday - which is about 670 miles from Calais. If I can carry two 20 litre Jerry Cans full of diesel in the boot I definitely won't have to worry.

Does anybody know the view that Le Shuttle will take of this?

Do they have X ray machines ?

True enough.

As long as it is in approved containers it would be ok.

The website seems to indicate up to 20L in steel containers.

Reserve fuel containers

Hmm... Voiture Flambée does seem to be the French National Dish of choice at times like these :(

These guys knew a thing or to about long range booze cruises with a few more cans of fuel.

Attachments

• Special_Air_Service_i_Nordafrika.jpg
    Special_Air_Service_i_Nordafrika.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 165
Drove up from Pau to Dunkirk at the weekend and there were already shortages of diesel in the supermarkets (Auchan at Le Mans) and people standing aimlessly around all the pumps on every second or third autoroute services as we got up towards Rouen and beyond on Sunday. The Brits, Belgians and motorhomers of all kinds were gaily pedal to the floor on the autoroute - in a shortage, what shortage? kind of way. I topped up with diesel at a toll exit station where I had never noticed one small pump before. It cost five cents a litre over the posted rate on the autoroute itself but felt relieved to have stumbled on it. An extra two cans of fuel shouldn't be any problem on the ferry -- customs won't be interested as you have paid duty on it anyway in the UK -- but the Chunnel people might be asking questions in view of the French situation. Getting down to Beziers will be feasible but could require a bit of hunting to get top-up supplies; there were signs saying no cans could be filled at some service stations on Sunday. Biggest risk might be running behind a rolling roadblock of truckers. I would avoid the Paris area if you have enough fuel to support a detour.

If you're still looking, I'de be happy to lend you one of the 20l steel cans from the rally car. Can't find the spout at the moment though, so a length of hose may be a good idea...

M.

I am still looking...

I think Baldguy is well on the way to Manchester now.... My farther reminded me that he has one at his place, but it's a plastic one from Halfords and looking at their website it says suitable for water only - I do remember using it for fuel but I wouldnt want to risk it with the kids on the ferry - better to be safe.

this is the link to the actual product: Halfords | 25 Litre Jerrycan with Tap

Mercedes do a really neat one which is circular and fits inside the spare wheel - only 1 gallon though ( and was about £35 when I bought mine some years ago ) .

Go in something like a W123 or W201 Diesel , though , and you can just fill up with veg oil at the supermarket .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom