Frank Williams and Lewis Hamilton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, I think Frank enjoyed that:D
That will now be just the car you'd want to buy off the forecourt.....and like any road car on a race circuit its brakes were fried inside a lap.
Didn't stop them having fun though:cool:

I don’t watch Formula 1, dull. Great video you can actually see the driver. V8 noise nothing like it.

Wonderful to watch :cool:
Amazing tyre deformation as he runs over the curb at ~3:05 :eek:

I thought it was some camera wobble or the likes but looking again, everything else in the shot is stable and you're spot on - tyre deformation. Have to wonder how much further the wheel rotates before it regains its correct shape. Not in a quarter turn - obviously.

Not a big fan of LH (great driver - just don't like him) but that video changed my views a little.....

It’s not the tyre deforming, it’s caused by the camera.

Great time for Frank.

Great time for Frank.

Yeah. Something to do with shutter 'roll' when videoing.

One word, “Brilliant”

With a new set of tyres and new brakes that car will now be worth more than the “standard” model.

Great time for Frank.

Yeah. Something to do with shutter 'roll' when videoing.
Yes.....Same effect as the odd curved aircraft propellors, wheels going backwards etc that you sometimes see on videos.....

But why does it only appear when the tyre hits the curbs? One can see in an earlier shot the same thing, tyre deforming but the rim remains perfectly circular?

But why does it only appear when the tyre hits the curbs? One can see in an earlier shot the same thing, tyre deforming but the rim remains perfectly circular?

And, the background loses no sharpness.

Could it be the "frequency" of the tyre hitting those undulations that causes the effect mentioned?

I thought it was the tyre-deforming at first but it doesn't make sense to me why the tyre would deform that long after it hit the undulation.

Could it be the "frequency" of the tyre hitting those undulations that causes the effect mentioned?

I thought it was the tyre-deforming at first but it doesn't make sense to me why the tyre would deform that long after it hit the undulation.

The deformation would be at the point of contact with the kerb. When it regains its (correct) shape is the question.
There wouldn't be much time in a quarter revolution at that speed and the tyre's inherent hysteresis precludes an immediate return to shape.
If the wheel was rotating at 1000 rpm, then a quarter turn takes 0.015s. Can a tyre regain shape in 15 thousandths of a second?

The deformation would be at the point of contact with the kerb. When it regains its (correct) shape is the question.
There wouldn't be much time in a quarter revolution at that speed and the tyre's inherent hysteresis precludes an immediate return to shape.
If the wheel was rotating at 1000 rpm, then a quarter turn takes 0.015s. Can a tyre regain shape in 15 thousandths of a second?

Yes, that's not a lot of time for it to recover.

Those are pretty violent kerbs as well.

I remember being shocked when I first saw footage of a tyre's distortion during cornering. This is just as shocking! - if it is what we think it is.
Guess it's for the video buffs to explain the cause if it is mere illusion.

You can also see places where the wheel appears to deform. It will be frequency related. The GoPro on a bracket with a sucker to the car probably contributes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom