Frank's new W124 - bargain!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crammy69

Car
2001 W210 E55 AMG,2010 Fiat 500 1.2,2002 Triumph America,LML Star 125 DLX,1984 C70,2011 Thruxton
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=53840

£600, well done you!. Thats one very clean looking Saloon, and proves my thinking that you can still get a good W124 for a bargain price. More info required!

Cheers

Hi Frank,
£600 ;) ;)

Frank said:
Have replaced the cracked boot star, and looking to replace the cracked near side rear lens.

I would replace these parts and then present the seller with the bill, how dare anyone sell a car in such a condition!

>>

>>

>>

I could very easily name the list of folks who are already typing feverishly :devil: :devil: ;)

Yup....... I was joking. What a nice car and what a bargain.

We have a very light greey interior and a long haired German Shepherd that loves getting dirty. Keeping the interior clean is well worth the extra effort and once you have it looking at the standard YOU want then it is fairly easy to keep clean.

Happy motoring,
Regards
John

That looks to be a nice motor. Its a shame really that saloon 124's are unwanted by the vast majority but represent the best value. Good coupes and estates are clearly a different matter in money terms. Hope you enjoy the car Frank.

You can't go wrong for £600, Frank!

Well bought, I reckon :bannana:

Well done, looks like a nice one, they are getting thin on the ground

Phil

Less door would mean more money though :)

Looks a good buy, lets be honest with someone buying a new car they lose more than that the first tim they turn the key...

a Lot more :(

Thanks for the kind comments gentlemen,

I believe they are well deserved (the car, not me :)). As I paid £500 for the 200 I thought I would go mad and splurge a mahoosive 600 quid for this one. I found it while on a site visit (on the perks of my job, maybe the only one) and loved it. I spent a couple of days humming and hahing, will I won't I, and then I went for a drink with the father in law, and we came to the conclusion that 'you're a long time dead.'

It is a gorgeous colour and only a couple of minor blebs. You can see why I was gutted not to make it to Jays GTG, when the wheel bearing went west. This was only a week after passing the MOt and had not been making a noise at all, until it went. It looks like the case hardening shell just broke up. It had been standing for 6-8 months which might explain but just in case I've got the other side bearing kit and will do that very soon.

It came from a yard that handles seized vehicles from customs and excise, (and ex-military vehicles in the background) so I'm guessing it was 'acquired' when coming home from a booze and fags run. Therefore it must have been in good order. Mustn't it? Any comments about it looking like a drug dealers ride may have some grounds in this case. :D:D:D

post.jpg

Anyway it drives fine and straight, I transferred the sounds system from the old one, but haven't really tried it yet, still listening to the 6-pot. We're off to France again in August and I'm thinking I might beat my previous best time. :D

One of the many subtle diferences I've noticed is the lack of the 'economy' gauge in the dash. If there is an obvious reason for this omission I dont think I want to know yet. Nor do I want any tips on economical driving habits. :devil::devil::devil: <--- same colour as the car.

Hope to show at the Yorks GTG next month, thanks again. Glad you like it.

is it the 24v edition, that would explain the missing economy guage, mine is the standard 300e 12v which does have it, still pointless though:D

My 300-24 has an economy gauge, scares the **** out of me when I press the go pedal a little aggressively, It keeps moving into the red bit. Red = Petrol stop imminent :eek:

Nice car though and at a good price (for you that is)

Last edited:
Ive got the guage in my 24v and i wish I didnt!, the only time it appears to stay out of the red is at idle, and I try to drive as slowly as I can.

My K reg 92' 300E is a 12 valver and doesn't have the econo gauge - quite glad it doesn't as well as it would only be telling me what I already know.

Economy gauges disappeared on 124's and 201's in 1992 (from memory), cost cutting by MB

Make sure there are no leaks from the fuel tank ... (see ms500's thread)

I did wonder.

The company name there is East Coast Salvage and, like Frank said, they deal in various seized vehicles. No polish, no presentation, just bumper-to-bumper dirty cars.

You'd think it a bargain place to buy a car, but no. Their prices for newer models exceed most established dealers. I don't know how they stay in business.

Nice car, I agree with you word "waftiness" (along the lines of floatiness??)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom