Free Air on filling station forecourts ? ? ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Costco were selling quite a decent looking 12V compressor - looked a bit better than the cheap rubbish ones the petrol stations sell for a fiver , but this was £20 or £30 ......

Will 20p break the bank???

Is not all about the money,but such big company`s should not charge
The last time It turns I had no change on me,went to use the cash point and it was out of order

I have a 'proper' compressor in my shed , and an airline which reaches down the drive - I use it for various air tools , as well as checking tyres at home - I just keep the tyre inflator on the end of the line so that it is always ready to use .

On the rare occasion I need to put air in away from home I would use a garage , but checking regularly at home , can't remember when i last used a garage airline .

That looks not unlike the one I saw in Costco - but 3 times the price :eek:

There are TWO versions of the pump I mentioned. The one whereby you plug directly onto your battery. And this one.......

Attachments

• Ring900 4x4.jpg
    Ring900 4x4.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 89
the reason the garages charge is because those dispensers are around £2000-3000 to buy and the hoses and fittings regularly get pinched.

Got one of these

Halfords | Michelin Hi-Power Rapid Tyre Inflator

Very good.

But I use a separate high quality gauge to check the air pressure...

+1

That's the one, excellent machine. Accurate gauge too, even as accurate as my high-quality gauge. Plus it fits inside the well of the spare.
A foot pump is just too laborious with big tyres, and inaccurate.

I was under the impression that if you buy air it has to be fit for intended purpose i.e. accurate to permitted standard for tyres, but if it is free you get what you pay for.

Ring RAC600 wins lots of tests, I have one, it's small and pretty quick.

I just carry a battery powered compressor in the boot all the time with a tyre gauge. It's lasted for 5 years so far including, tyres on 4 cars (mine, wife's, son & daughters), footballs & a few inflatables. IIRC it cost me about £15 which is a bargain in my eyes.:thumb:

I stopped in a motorway service station in the snow at Christmas. A foreign driver could not understand why he was being asked to pay for air and water for his car

I flat refused to pay for water - I borrowed a bucket, filled it from the constantly-running tap with sheets of ice under it - and topped up my washer bottle that way

He put £1 in the machine and no water was dispensed as the machine was frozen

Why do we put up with this sh*t in this country?

Nick Froome

Got asked to pay to pee once. Some roadside place in Scotland. They made a mistake though, the loo was in the middle of some woods. Me and two dozen others diligently watering the trees on principle.

Least we don't pay for a pee though.

Not yet though, wouldn't be surprised if they start to charge in the near future, like they do in most London main-line railway stations (30p).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom