Free charging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bugger....My car cost so much I cannot afford to charge it...:D

I understand the point regarding owners of hybrid cars with small battery capacity trying to connect to a charger 24x7 in order to avoid using petrol, but this is only a short-term problem, because in time the pure EVs with the 300+ mile range will take over, and in the majority of cases these won't really need changing more than every other week.
But then they will require a long charge. Fine if home charging but will create queues at public charge points.
Recharge time and mileage are inseparable. Infrequent long charges or frequent short charges add up to exactly the same load on the charging infrastructure. Faster charging batteries (the holy grail) will cut the time but significantly ramp up the (electrical) current requirement.
Given that long charges compatible with a 300 mile range are only feasible for home owners with off road parking, will there be small battery alternatives for those who do not have such facilities? Or will they be compelled to lug around a huge (and energy intensive in its construction) battery without enjoying the benefit of its range?

But then they will require a long charge. Fine if home charging but will create queues at public charge points.
Recharge time and mileage are inseparable. Infrequent long charges or frequent short charges add up to exactly the same load on the charging infrastructure. Faster charging batteries (the holy grail) will cut the time but significantly ramp up the (electrical) current requirement.
Given that long charges compatible with a 300 mile range are only feasible for home owners with off road parking, will there be small battery alternatives for those who do not have such facilities? Or will they be compelled to lug around a huge (and energy intensive in its construction) battery without enjoying the benefit of its range?

The public fast chargers are typically limited to two to four hours stay, so you get a decent charge and then have to move-on and leave the space to someone else.

The lamppost charging is slow but you can leave your car parked there overnight and get a full charge, which - with 300 miles range - most people will only need to do every other week or so.

In addition, there are many charging points installed on people's drives and in other private parking places (underground etc), and in workplace car parks.

There are quite a few EVs where I live and the situation is perfectly manageable at current.

I do agree, however, that the charging infrastructure will have to continue and grow as EVs become more common.

Human nature will take over . " Oh look , a roadside lamppost charger close to my flat with no one using it , I don't really need it but I may as well plug in and go to bed for the night..."

Not everyone will be like this but it would only take a few with this mindset to mess everything up.

Someone on permanent late shift getting home at 11pm every night to find all the charge spots occupied, gets up at 0900 to goes down , retrieves his car from wherever he parked it last night, plugs his car in the now vacant space and unplugs it at 1300H to sets off for work. He got 4 hours charge by getting out of bed a few hours earlier than he would have liked. No problem as long as he did not actually have to use it while not at work. I am sure his place of work has hundreds of charge points for him to use....

Just one hypothetical scenario ,that makes me sound anti EV , no point in being anti EV . That's a losers game . Just adding what we all already know . The UK is so far behind in the EV charging infrastructure as to make EV an no go for most of us for a very long time.

I would not be at all surprised if all of a sudden an unknown to Westerners Chinese manufacturer comes up with an electric car with 400 mile + range costing £20,000. Take for example the Nanjing automotive corporations MG branded Chinese made electric cars. There current range is much cheaper than premium electric manufacturers offerings already.

After all who cares about a brand name on an electric car. They are just disposable white goods.

People just need to rid themselves of the desires typically assiociated with owning a brand name car which should be made easier when the electric motors are all made by the same manufacturer and performance is governed and restricted by the cloud to meet local emissions targets.

Last edited:
I would not be at all surprised if all of a sudden an unknown to Westerners Chinese manufacturer comes up with an electric car with 400 mile + range costing £20,000. Take for example the Nanjing automotive corporations MG branded Chinese made electric cars. There current range is much cheaper than premium electric manufacturers offerings already.

After all who cares about a brand name on an electric car. They are just disposable white goods.

People just need to rid themselves of the desires typically assiociated with owning a brand name car which should be made easier when the electric motors are all made by the same manufacturer and performance is governed and restricted by the cloud to meet local emissions targets.
What cloud is that then?

Polestar is Chinese and there are others as well.

There are multiple manufacturers of the motors based on different basic deigns and that is a growth area as they make all the difference to performance and efficiency.

We will see more variety in the future in the same way as ICE cars have developed over the decades.

White goods, what a laugh!!

Polestar is Chinese and there are others as well.

There are multiple manufacturers of the motors based on different basic deigns and that is a growth area as they make all the difference to performance and efficiency.

We will see more variety in the future in the same way as ICE cars have developed over the decades.

White goods, what a laugh!!
Innovations in electric motors powered by batteries? Tesla uses a motor design based on the work of Nikola Tesla. He died in 1943.

White goods in the UK now have an advantage over electric cars in the shape of the recent 'right to repair' legislation. The aim of which is to extend the lifespan of products and hence benefit the environment, something electric car manufacturers do not seem too fussed about.

Last edited:

Nanjing would not have nought the name MG unless they thought that brand name will continue to matter.

Here's a slightly more modern design for you....

Thanks for the link. Interesting claimed electric motor design that is not in production. Maybe by 2050?

Last edited:
Innovations in electric motors powered by batteries? Tesla uses a motor design based on the work of Nikola Tesla. He died in 1943.

JCB announce innovations in internal combustion engines? Nicolaus Otto died in 1891. Nikola Tesla is still the new kid on the block, in comparable terms.

Nanjing would not have nought the name MG unless they thought that brand name will continue to matter.
The Chinese 'MG' brand imho is on a par with Dacia in the desirability stakes. Plenty of people who have no interest in cars will buy them because they are a cheap new car with a warranty.

The Chinese 'MG' brand imho is on a par with Dacia in the desirability stakes. Plenty of people who have no interest in cars will buy them because they are a cheap new car with a warranty.

Chinese cars will be a force to be reckoned with when they get the quality right which I have no doubt they will do in time if they so choose. As it is the ones I've seen I don't think were even quite as good as Dacia in terms of the underlying engineering quality. My experience of looking at a friends Chinese motorcycle 10 years back was they were truly dreadful and not even worth the low prices asked but they have already improved in leaps and bounds since then.

That's what they have become, yes.

But they have very different roots and history.

Dacia went upmarket to get to where they are now. MG went downhill. And now they met.

They don't need charging all at once, all the time.

Modern EVs have a claimed range of 300+ miles, so even with a 'real life' range of (say) 200 miles, a car that only does a few miles a day can easily go a week or two without charging.
Back here in the real world , when I arrive home I do not know when or where I am going next or how far that might be.

With an ICE car that does not matter as I can fill up 24/7 locally.

In an EV I have to put it on charge straight away just to give myself a better chance of making my next trip.

So the EV is either out on a journey or plugged in at home. A partially charged EV is of no use to anyone.

Back here in the real world , when I arrive home I do not know when or where I am going next or how far that might be.

With an ICE car that does not matter as I can fill up 24/7 locally.

In an EV I have to put it on charge straight away just to give myself a better chance of making my next trip.

So the EV is either out on a journey or plugged in at home. A partially charged EV is of no use to anyone.

I don't disagree, and not wishing to sound disrespectful, we have to keep in mind that horses had their advantages as well. ICE is out, the future is EV, yes there are some inconveniences involved, and you may choose to hang-on to your ICE car till the very last minute, just as some people still use their Nokia phones because the battery will easily last for a week before needing recharging. My point is that EVs do offer a workable solution, and we'll all have to embrace it at some point sooner or later.

In addition, there are many charging points installed on people's drives and in other private parking places (underground etc), and in workplace car parks.

There are quite a few EVs where I live and the situation is perfectly manageable at current.

Plenty of residential areas without much or any off street parking.

Councils maybe should plan for multi-storey car 'hostels' where residents (and authrised visitors) can book times for organised charging.

Plenty of residential areas without much or any off street parking.

Councils maybe should plan for multi-storey car 'hostels' where residents (and authrised visitors) can book times for organised charging.

Yes, this will work.

I don't disagree, and not wishing to sound disrespectful, we have to keep in mind that horses had their advantages as well. ICE is out, the future is EV, yes there are some inconveniences involved, and you may choose to hang-on to your ICE car till the very last minute, just as some people still use their Nokia phones because the battery will easily last for a week before needing recharging. My point is that EVs do offer a workable solution, and we'll all have to embrace it at some point sooner or later.
The future is not really about EV's. The plan between now and 2050 is very clearly laid out and that plan is net-zero zero emissions. That plan is far more all encompassing than just electric cars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom