Free charging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tallguy

Car
E300DE AMG Line
Now I have a hybrid, I am paying a lot of attention to charging points. Pod Point are installing a network of free chargers (7kw) at a number of Tesco supermarkets, paid for by dynamic advertising. This has got me thinking, can anyone recommend an app or website that shows the free charging stations around the UK please?

TIA.

All the big supermarkets will install these free charge up units . And will just push up the price of the shopping you buy to pay for them. It will be interesting to see what happens in a few years time when all consumers electric bills go sky high ..through the use of more and more people buying and charging up at home their electric cars .The e/cars wont be running on the price of a unit we know of right now .

All the big supermarkets will install these free charge up units . And will just push up the price of the shopping you buy to pay for them. It will be interesting to see what happens in a few years time when all consumers electric bills go sky high ..through the use of more and more people buying and charging up at home their electric cars .The e/cars wont be running on the price of a unit we know of right now .
Yup. And we won’t be able to generate enough electricity to cope either.

According to the EV forum below the free supermarket charge points are slow so you do not get that much free charge.

Quite right, 'no such as a free dinner'

If I can top the car up whilst shopping for 30 mins then that’s fine by me. As it’s free it will be slow but it will still be faster than a standard plug top at home.
Exactly, oney 7kw so over 12 hours to fully charge mine from empty, they are only good for a extra boost.

@Tallguy Congrats on your purchase. The Pod point national rollout of Tesco-VW charging points website is a useful one, especially given it shows the sites that have charging points but are subject to QA

Well I use the local Tesco 7Kw charger each week while I do the shopping, nip to the bank all the usual stuff. So in the hour I get another 35 miles free. Not massive but hey I never got a free gallon of diesel filling up anywhere, even at the local Sainsburys filling station. As regards cost how much does 7Kw electric cost them less than quid so it's a promotional thing, just like the other incentives to shop there.

Many superstores in city centres give customers two hours free parking if they make a purchase in the shop and stamp the parking ticket. Giving customers free charging isn't really very different, as long as they can link the free charging to making a purchase. That said, possibly they worked-out that someone parked on a charger for (say) 30 minutes for a top-up will probably walk into the shop rather than sit in the car, so that might be their way of attracting customers.

Can I ask, with no ulterior motive, (I used to have a hybrid) -

Why do EV drivers expect free refuelling everywhere they go?

Just waiting on a "Charging Point Battle" series of programs , more than likely on CH5.

Coming to a supermarket carpark near you :

"Av only git 5% und u have 50% , so feck off and gee mee a shot o the thing"

"Feck off , a wiz here afore ye"

Seconds out - round one.

On a serious note , next to where my mum used to stay there are Tenement buildings (flats) , four floors with two flats per floor with on average two cars per household so from a logistical POV how and where do you install enough chargers for 16 vehicles per building and what about high flats ??

K

...On a serious note , next to where my mum used to stay there are Tenement buildings (flats) , four floors with two flats per floor with on average two cars per household so from a logistical POV how and where do you install enough chargers for 16 vehicles per building and what about high flats ??

K

They don't need charging all at once, all the time.

Modern EVs have a claimed range of 300+ miles, so even with a 'real life' range of (say) 200 miles, a car that only does a few miles a day can easily go a week or two without charging.

They don't need charging all at once, all the time.

Modern EVs have a claimed range of 300+ miles, so even with a 'real life' range of (say) 200 miles, a car that only does a few miles a day can easily go a week or two without charging.

And i am sure the considerate drivers that dont need a charge will leave the limited charging spaces available for those that do.

Not everyone will be able to afford a nice new vehicle , we were looking at a three year old Leaf for one of the guys in work that had a "official" range , when new , of 130 ish miles factor in real world driving and aged batteries and that will be quickly dipping into double figures.

I am looking forward to my first "lecy" vehicle , as long as it is a RS E-tron / Plaid / Taycan.

We were in Soho last week for a meal (Dishoom) and i noticed that some of the lamp posts had the outlet for charging which i thought was a great idea.

K

My parents neighbour has got the mitsubishi phev hybrid (we call it the milk float) 36 mile range if he's telling the truth and its always on charge he paid 33k for it and now valued at around 12k on a good day i just dont see the point (its 2016 with around 14k miles) he's lucky and got the outside box charger

My parents neighbour has got the mitsubishi phev hybrid (we call it the milk float) 36 mile range if he's telling the truth and its always on charge he paid 33k for it and now valued at around 12k on a good day i just dont see the point (its 2016 with around 14k miles) he's lucky and got the outside box charger
Different kettle of fish entirely. Hybrids and phev are glorified stop/start internal combustion engines vehicles, nothing like true battery electric vehicles.
That said a range of 30 miles would see me to work and back. Plus there would be the backup of the ICE should it be needed.

Different kettle of fish entirely. Hybrids and phev are glorified stop/start internal combustion engines vehicles, nothing like true battery electric vehicles.
That said a range of 30 miles would see me to work and back. Plus there would be the backup of the ICE should it be needed.
You wouldn't get there, I had one on loan I got 12 miles on the battery :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom