Free charging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Plenty of residential areas without much or any off street parking.

Councils maybe should plan for multi-storey car 'hostels' where residents (and authrised visitors) can book times for organised charging.
New build multi storey electric car charging hostels would not be a sustainable net zero emissions policy. Concrete and steel production are incompatible with zero emissions.

The future is not really about EV's. The plan between now and 2050 is very clearly laid out and that plan is net-zero zero emissions. That plan is far more all encompassing than just electric cars.

From the report:

Road vehicles: The transition to electric cars is already well under-way, and with increasing demand, costs will presumably fall. We already have targets for phasing out non electric vehicles, but by 2050 will have only 60% of the electricity required to power a fleet equivalent to that in use today. Therefore we will either use 60% fewer cars or they will be 60% the size.

How’s that work then?

Agreed, perhaps I should have said 'the future is mostly EV... as far as the private car owner is concerned'.
I would have said it was pretty clear that private car ownership and car use will be discouraged, at least until 2050. That includes electric cars. Taxation being the obvious way to discourage use.

By 2050 it is predicted that society will have the ability to generate 50% more electric power than we are able to generate today. This will be enough to power only 60% of todays energy using activities and that percentage figure excludes flying and shipping as these activities are deemed incompatible with zero emissions.

It will interesting to see how the issue of vehicle size and weight will be addressed. We all know cars have grown in size and weight over recent times (Euro NCAP started in 1997) due to safety legislation. Will future cars have to forego safety to meet weight and size targets?

I would have said it was pretty clear that private car ownership and car use will be discouraged, at least until 2050. That includes electric cars. Taxation being the obvious way to discourage use.

By 2050 it is predicted that society will have the ability to generate 50% more electric power than we are able to generate today. This will be enough to power only 60% of todays energy using activities and that percentage figure excludes flying and shipping as these activities are deemed incompatible with zero emissions.

It will interesting to see how the issue of vehicle size and weight will be addressed. We all know cars have grown in size and weight over recent times (Euro NCAP started in 1997) due to safety legislation. Will future cars have to forego safety to meet weight and size targets?

I fully support reduction in car use. We can't keep building motorways. It will involve a range of measures, but we have to come back from the idea that having two cars per family and driving everywhere is the norm.

New build multi storey electric car charging hostels would not be a sustainable net zero emissions policy. Concrete and steel production are incompatible with zero emissions.
Agreed , And they would be privately owned and operated ...for a profit . A bit like the 'council' houses that are no longer owned by any council. Housing associations , the same would be true of car hostels. would never work unfortunately.

Agreed, and I know I will miss the easy refuelling of my petrol car, but you just can't stay behind... they don't make audio tape or VHS video cassettes any more, BTW :D
Both VHS and audio cassettes are still available. 😀

There are 2 problems with pure EV in my book at present. The first is the lack of range, if you can build an EV that does 300 miles you can build one that does 500 miles. I Can easily do 325 miles in a day, sometimes a lot more and I don’t want to have to find a charger mid way through the day and wait there 45 mins to top the car battery up. Secondly, the charging infrastructure is currently totally insufficient. Not enough chargers and the majority are too slow with the exception of Tesla who seem to have most of their chargers on the motorway network and even then there are some huge gaps. More and more EV’s are being purchased and the charging network is not keeping up. Toddington services only has 2 charging bays currently and that’s a major services. Motorway services should be forced to put in at least 10 charging points a year for the next decade. We need to double the amount of chargers available to the public in the next 6 months and make sure that 22Kw becomes the standard power supply at chargeable power points. If the supermarkets, Hove train station etc want to keep free charging at 7Kw then that’s fine by me and I will continue to use them to top up my hybrid. But as a country we need a solid plan for charging points and the generation of the power to feed them. We need those plans now, sadly we we lack both.

Toddington Services yesterday. Just 2 chargers, both in use…..hopeless. That’s why I have the splendid Merc hybrid. I won’t be going pure EV for a very long time.
D99F406C-F4EC-439A-A1CF-7D457F2726FB.jpeg

EV car companies and retailers are working together on the benefits of having a captive audience whilst your car is charging in order to maximise the retail opportunity. In that case there will soon become distinct paid tiers of charging, the faster chargers will cost significantly more than slower chargers because of the reduced retail opportunities. Discounts/deals will be offered on products/services linked to specific chargers as well. Heard this from a car industry insider. A step up from the old free glasses at the filling station.

By 2050 it is predicted that society will have the ability to generate 50% more electric power than we are able to generate today.

Enough?

Eliminate gas boilers and that makes for some interesting demand (and costs per KWh to householders for domestic use) - and that's in competition with EV charging.

I see more EVs on the road (particularly Teslas). But they are still a small minority. I think we'll see a ramp up in the next two or three years. A few % shift in energy consumption patterns is likely enough to shift prices.

If we end up with a 'diesel' situation as we did 10 to 15 years ago with the focus on CO2 and the market distorting to the point where people were buying diesels even though they were suboptimal and that then influenced car prices and deprecation costs to further favour diesels - then we're heading quickly to a perfect storm of lack of supply and increased demand and some shock price increases as the market works the same trick with EVs and the energy supply market demand distorts.

Predicted by whom?

The document was produced by UK Fires in response to HM Governments legally binding commitment to deliver net zero emissions by 2050, signed on the 27th June 2019.

UK Fires is a collaboration between the universities of Cambridge, Oxford, Nottingham, Bath and Imperial College London 😲.

Funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, the main funding body for engineering and physical sciences research in the UK. I assume that means (mostly) taxpayer funded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom