Free Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny DeVito

Car
V220 CDI
If i didnt need it i'd use it as a bin filler ! Saturday.... cruising down the motorway with the whole family on board after the boys communion and then the rear brake disc decided to remove itself from the vehicle ! Half of it fell of and almost hit the car behind us. Stupid MB fit for the bin it is. While replacing the rear discs yesterday i notice that the rear spring is broken too !!!:doh::doh::doh:

How bad must your disk have been for half of one to fall off?

Sounds like very poor maintenance.

Yours didnt look like this did it?

worn_out_brake_rotor.jpg

Last edited:
No the disc didnt look bad at all, i had them off about 8mths ago to adjust the handbrake before the nct car test. There was only a few mm worn of, i cleaned it a bit and put new pads on. Completely unexpected. Looked more like this one

Attachments

• BrakeDisc-9248X.jpg
    BrakeDisc-9248X.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 79
I had a brake disk shatter on a Hillman Hunter once. Bad batch of disks, apparently.

Was the fractured disk a symptom of something else failing?

Could the mallet i used for removal have caused it to weaken ? I used a bar to lever it while hitting the other side with the rubber mallet. It wasn't too tight either. I certainly hope its not something else failing. On a plus (the only one) I saved a phenomenal amount of fuel driving slow and not using brakes to get home!

LOL..

I thought driving with no steering wheel took the biscuit, but a broken brake disk...

Could the mallet i used for removal have caused it to weaken ? I used a bar to lever it while hitting the other side with the rubber mallet. It wasn't too tight either. I certainly hope its not something else failing. On a plus (the only one) I saved a phenomenal amount of fuel driving slow and not using brakes to get home!

attachment.php

Attachments

• facepalm.jpeg
    facepalm.jpeg
    597 bytes · Views: 161
I thought the V-Class had rear airbags not springs, saying that , I converted mine to springs for about £200, if yours has been done, was it done right

Alan

I thought the V-Class had rear airbags not springs, saying that , I converted mine to springs for about £200, if yours has been done, was it done right

Alan

It was converted but before i got it and thats been about three years ive had it.

Is not uncommon to use mallet to get the disc off, but there is a better way. I'm not sure if it the same as Mercedes Disc, but on the other cars that I've changed, there is usually a small screw hole on the hub face, screw a right size bolt in it will safely push out the disc.

No the disc didnt look bad at all, i had them off about 8mths ago to adjust the handbrake before the nct car test. There was only a few mm worn of, i cleaned it a bit and put new pads on. Completely unexpected. Looked more like this one

Last time I saw disc like that it was on a Renault 15 TS! Well, it was a while back...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom