FREE SatNav for Nokia phones -forever!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crammy69

Car
2001 W210 E55 AMG,2010 Fiat 500 1.2,2002 Triumph America,LML Star 125 DLX,1984 C70,2011 Thruxton
Nokia to give away satnav software | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Go to the OVI store and you can now download for free :bannana: the SatNav software for Nokia phones. I was going to buy it recently for abut £60 so happy days! Makes the 5800 a good buy in my mind!.

Apparently Nokia bought NavTeq, wonder if theyll give out free comand update too;)

I have the Nokia 5800 .. which I love.

One more reason to love it now :)

Nice one, I will have a go at installing this on my E71 tonight...

Oh dear! the girl in my office just tried to update the software on her 5800 ( OVI said she should before downloading the (SatNav) and her phone keeps rebooting and wont work now!.

Id back up any data on your phone first!

Corned,

Quickest thing is to mooch over to the OVI website and use their checking thing.

I would be surprised if non-Nokia handsets are included...

Oh dear! the girl in my office just tried to update the software on her 5800 ( OVI said she should before downloading the (SatNav) and her phone keeps rebooting and wont work now!.

Id back up any data on your phone first!

They boot and reboot as part of the upgrade process and it is normally non destructive.
However if it keeps doing it then a hard reset may get her out of trouble.

I have seen S/W upgrades take over 45 mins on some Nokias so always attempt this with a full battery and after a backup :p

Cheers, Baron. :thumb: I'll check that out.

The reason I ask is that the Omnia runs on the Nokia operating system - Symbian - therefore I wondered if it would also run Nokia apps...

Only one way to find out!

Is this free download the same as the "Nokia Maps" app that was already on my 5800?

Is this free download the same as the "Nokia Maps" app that was already on my 5800?

It might well be, the SatNav, which Ive finally downloaded on third attempt, includes voice commands and other features such as dashboard to show average speed miles traveled etc. Im going to try it on the way home from thenstation ( im stuck indorrs so cant get a GPS signal).

Yes, but its an updated version. Nokia Maps software already includes the sat nav built in (you have to use a code to activate it) this update removes that need and it works 'out of the box'.

installed flawlessly on my 5800

the GPS positioning doesn't seem to be so well calibrated as it does with Google Maps (also free) but it's close enough.

Google maps pinpoints my home location exactly - it can even differentiate between the rooms in the house, if I move, my location changes. Ovi maps classes my 'home location' as next door but one. It's post code correct just like our Garmin unit is - I presume that this is because it is sharing the same software

Son of a...

Its not compatible with the E71 :( even though it has full active GPS. whats that all about!

Agggh.

I have an E71 too. What a piece of junk. Takes 18 days to find a satellite.

Looks like a pretty aggressive move by Nokia...

I reckon this is to seed the market for an inrush of AR apps later this year. I bet there have been some hastily convened meetings in RIM, Google and Apple today :eek:

Hello I have a E71

I have Garmin Mobile XT on that (did want TomTom but couldn't get that at the time I had the phone)

I guess from posts above i'm better keeping what I have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom