"Free" upgrade 2MB BT Broadband - sting in the tail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marc777

Banned
Car
E270 cdi Avantgarde; Wifes car Yellow VW Beetle (new shape)
Got offered free upgrade from 1MB to 2MB Broadband - no additonal fee and no additonal contract. Seemed a good deal.

Subsequently learnt from the BT website that if we had opted out then our monthly charges would have fallen about 45% ! Thats nearly £500 a year.

So now have had to re-graded back to 1MB, which then involved new password and fixed IP addresses - and I have to set up our emails again - and to top it all they messed up the new IP address for our router so we lost service for 4 days - Great - and it all started with something that looked free.

Beware.

Marc

Yes, yes, yes. But now you have 2mb, and like me nothing else really matters.

scotth_uk said:
Yes, yes, yes. But now you have 2mb, and like me nothing else really matters.

No he doesn't he went back to 1mb and a world of pain.

I have just signed up for the 8mb service today, should be here over Xmas.

Kewl

craigyb said:
No he doesn't he went back to 1mb and a world of pain.

I have just signed up for the 8mb service today, should be here over Xmas.

Kewl

I really should read properly. Major envy regarding your new service. :rock:

1mb to 2Mb now 8mb

havent been sent any "offers" from Bt.and didnt know2 /8mb was available from bt

I use BTyahoo service, ( the modest 512 service - now putting tin helmet on and subsiding beneath desk ........) - not sure if Btyahoo is ever so slightly different.

not convinced I'd pay for more speed as for recreational family use - dare I say it it seems fast enough!!!!!

Steve ;)

Last edited:
Finally got my 8mb broadband working today, it's a bit fussy about cables and connections, my old router could see the line but never login, the new router has to be on the phone line coming into the house, uk-online reckon it's the nasty BT filter that was installed with my original BT setup.

I'm going to try and remove that and put back just a plain socket and filter from uk-online.

But downloads of 770KB achieved to my desktop and an increase from 256k to 512k on my upload speed.

Craig

Just rung up BT and had a moan about normal 512,000 Broadband (unlimited though)and they have upgraded me to 1MB for free!! Ta very much everyone!

Ok some news, uk-online.net are now offering the 8mb service for a nominal charge of £50 smackers and they provide you with a free 54mb wifi ADSL router. This was originally £130 for the install and router. And you 512kb up, not the 440kb advertised.

Craig

R2D2 said:
Just rung up BT and had a moan about normal 512,000 Broadband (unlimited though)and they have upgraded me to 1MB for free!! Ta very much everyone!

Now working and tested :bannana:

Still waiting for my compensation - BT offered £37 for my 12 hours of time and £200 sepnt on an engineer.

Easynet are a sister company with uk-online, I found this out when I called the provisioning company and easynet answered.

Also I get £80 compensation for wasting my time during the installation.

Craig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom