Free wine. Whining noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WOODYTHEWISE

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E 500 Coupe.
Took the CL600 to the dealer to investigate a ????strange noise from the front of the vehicle, best way to describe it is the sound a toy car makes when in motion, a sort of whining noise. Noise increases/decreases with engine speed.
noise is evident whether car in motion or static, in gear or out of gear (auto box)
The car is the twin turbo V12". On first inspection the 'head chap' says " not sure, heard this on the V8s but not on the V12". Car is 2005 with 39K miles, full history.
The reason for this post is to ask fellow members what this noise may be............
There is however an incentive. A bottle of wine to who gets the correct answer....what is causing the noise?. I will/should find out tomorrow. The wine? Grand Cru, Tesco, or pot luck. you have a choice of Bottle A.B.or C.
One guess per member, (stops wise assssses) listing every cause known to man.
You may however have another guess after two other entries from another member....................
Do you answer first.........or wait for others????????????? a bit of fun that cost nothing (to you).Please state bottle AB or C.
Enties close at 0800hrs Friday (or until someone gets it right)

Last edited:
Alternator? no choice of wine put cost of wine in the first charity box you see.

Thanks for the above. Just had the dealer on the phone, I now know what it is.
Not tyres as the noise is there when static or mobile.
Alternator or Aux Fan, both a good call. We will wait and see.
Good idea about the Charity box, should any of the above 'Win' It would be my pleasure.:thumb:

As my first choice of alternator has gone, I'll go for the belt tensioner.

Charity box should I fluke it :)

You've got a politician stuck under there. Bottle A please.

If it was a well know Politician, I would have it crushed.:D
There is also no fault showing on the Gizzmo/No malfunction.

Power steering pump?

Do you have abc? Is the noise there when revving from a standstill?
If so I would say its the pulsation damper for the abc

If it happens when the car is stationary and changes with engine revs it is clearly linked directly to engine rotation. My vote goes with the water pump.

my guess from an uneducated man is...... its a whining noise coming from the front of the car

Do i win?

If it happens when the car is stationary and changes with engine revs it is clearly linked directly to engine rotation. My vote goes with the water pump.

The abc pump turns with engine rotation. This strange whining can also be felt almost through the floor of the cabin

Do you have abc? Is the noise there when revving from a standstill?
If so I would say its the pulsation damper for the abc

Good call, I do have ABC, the above was suggested by one of the Merc techs. A new pump was fitted last year, so not the pump.
And yes, the noise is there when revving from standstill/engine start/cold.

The abc pump turns with engine rotation. This strange whining can also be felt almost through the floor of the cabin

Where did the OP say that ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom