Freedom of Information Act

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swiss Toni

MB Enthusiast
Car
Pedestrian
The Freedom of Information Act took effect from 1 January 2005, so...

Why not pick your favourite Speed Camera and e-mail your local Chief Constable. (local website will be www.[I]yourcounty[/I].police.uk)

Ask why it was located there (ie what evidence was used).
Ask what impact it has had.
Ask how much revenue has been raised (and from how many speeders).
Ask what the policy for prosecution is (ie is it set at 33mph?).

They have 20 working days to reply.

And title your email "Freedom of Information Act" just so they know!

;)

After a gruelling 30 seconds typing, I thought I would be kind enough to post a sample email so you people can copy and paste with more ease :D
To Whom it may concern:
-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
To Whom it may concern:

Dear Sir/Madam
I am contacting you regarding the Gatso type speed camera located on Long Lane in Hillingdon. The questions I have follow:
- why it was located there (i.e. what evidence was used)
- what impact did the camera have
- how much revenue has been raised (and from how many speeders)
- what the policy for prosecution is (i.e. is it set at 33mph?)

I would also like to remind you that the Freedom of Information Act took effect on the 1st January 2005. Thank you in advance,
Sincerely,
MyName
-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
I also thought of this....f or the people who live in greater london...:
mailto: [email protected]
Spinal

Spinal said:

Hmm...Simon's Link seems to be the correct email address for the FOIA.

Metropolitan Police Service said:
Making a FOIA Request
'From 1 January 2005 anyone in the world can request information from any public body in the UK. If you would like to request information from the MPS please write to us, giving your name and address and explaining what you would like to see as clearly as possible. If you also give us your telephone number we will be able to discuss the request with you direct. You can send your request to [email protected] or The Public Access Office - FOIA, Room 873(V) New Scotland Yard, 8-10 Broadway, London, SW1H 0BG, United Kingdom, or fax us on +44 (0) 207 230 4586. If you would like to talk to someone about your request please call +44 (0) 207 230 4143.'

Email [email protected] to submit your request

HTH, :)

Will

Ok, i've rattled of an email to Avon and Som. COnstab.

They said on the website that there might be a charge?

Can they charge you for the info?
:confused:

splang said:
Ok, i've rattled of an email to Avon and Som. COnstab.

They said on the website that there might be a charge?

Can they charge you for the info?
:confused:

Yes, I believe they can!

Should put off a few people from abusing the act I suppose (once the novelty factor has worn off!) ;)

Cheers,

Will

found this :

2004 No. 3244

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION

DATA PROTECTION

The Freedom of Information and Data Protection (Appropriate Limit and Fees) Regulations 2004

Made 7th December 2004
Laid before Parliament 9th December 2004
Coming into force 1st January 2005

The Secretary of State, in exercise of the powers conferred upon him by sections 9(3) and (4), 12(3), (4) and (5), and 13(1) and (2) of the Freedom of Information Act 2000[1], and by sections 9A(5) and 67(2) of the Data Protection Act 1998[2], and having consulted the Information Commissioner in accordance with section 67(3) of the Data Protection Act 1998, hereby makes the following Regulations:

Citation and commencement
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Freedom of Information and Data Protection (Appropriate Limit and Fees) Regulations 2004 and come into force on 1st January 2005.

Interpretation
2. In these Regulations -

"the 2000 Act" means the Freedom of Information Act 2000;

"the 1998 Act" means the Data Protection Act 1998; and

"the appropriate limit" is to be construed in accordance with the provision made in regulation 3.
The appropriate limit
3. - (1) This regulation has effect to prescribe the appropriate limit referred to in section 9A(3) and (4) of the 1998 Act and the appropriate limit referred to in section 12(1) and (2) of the 2000 Act.

(2) In the case of a public authority which is listed in Part I of Schedule 1 to the 2000 Act, the appropriate limit is £600.

(3) In the case of any other public authority, the appropriate limit is £450.

Estimating the cost of complying with a request - general
4. - (1) This regulation has effect in any case in which a public authority proposes to estimate whether the cost of complying with a relevant request would exceed the appropriate limit.

(2) A relevant request is any request to the extent that it is a request-

(a) for unstructured personal data within the meaning of section 9A(1) of the 1998 Act[3], and to which section 7(1) of that Act would, apart from the appropriate limit, to any extent apply, or

(b) information to which section 1(1) of the 2000 Act would, apart from the appropriate limit, to any extent apply.

(3) In a case in which this regulation has effect, a public authority may, for the purpose of its estimate, take account only of the costs it reasonably expects to incur in relation to the request in-

(a) determining whether it holds the information,

(b) locating the information, or a document which may contain the information,

(c) retrieving the information, or a document which may contain the information, and

(d) extracting the information from a document containing it.

(4) To the extent to which any of the costs which a public authority takes into account are attributable to the time which persons undertaking any of the activities mentioned in paragraph (3) on behalf of the authority are expected to spend on those activities, those costs are to be estimated at a rate of £25 per person per hour.

So yes they can charge you !! £25 pounds per person per hour ! :eek:

splang said:
found this :

2004 No. 3244

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION

DATA PROTECTION

The Freedom of Information and Data Protection (Appropriate Limit and Fees) Regulations 2004

Made 7th December 2004
Laid before Parliament 9th December 2004
Coming into force 1st January 2005

The Secretary of State, in exercise of the powers conferred upon him by sections 9(3) and (4), 12(3), (4) and (5), and 13(1) and (2) of the Freedom of Information Act 2000[1], and by sections 9A(5) and 67(2) of the Data Protection Act 1998[2], and having consulted the Information Commissioner in accordance with section 67(3) of the Data Protection Act 1998, hereby makes the following Regulations:

Citation and commencement
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Freedom of Information and Data Protection (Appropriate Limit and Fees) Regulations 2004 and come into force on 1st January 2005.

Interpretation
2. In these Regulations -

"the 2000 Act" means the Freedom of Information Act 2000;

"the 1998 Act" means the Data Protection Act 1998; and

"the appropriate limit" is to be construed in accordance with the provision made in regulation 3.
The appropriate limit
3. - (1) This regulation has effect to prescribe the appropriate limit referred to in section 9A(3) and (4) of the 1998 Act and the appropriate limit referred to in section 12(1) and (2) of the 2000 Act.

(2) In the case of a public authority which is listed in Part I of Schedule 1 to the 2000 Act, the appropriate limit is £600.

(3) In the case of any other public authority, the appropriate limit is £450.

Estimating the cost of complying with a request - general
4. - (1) This regulation has effect in any case in which a public authority proposes to estimate whether the cost of complying with a relevant request would exceed the appropriate limit.

(2) A relevant request is any request to the extent that it is a request-

(a) for unstructured personal data within the meaning of section 9A(1) of the 1998 Act[3], and to which section 7(1) of that Act would, apart from the appropriate limit, to any extent apply, or

(b) information to which section 1(1) of the 2000 Act would, apart from the appropriate limit, to any extent apply.

(3) In a case in which this regulation has effect, a public authority may, for the purpose of its estimate, take account only of the costs it reasonably expects to incur in relation to the request in-

(a) determining whether it holds the information,

(b) locating the information, or a document which may contain the information,

(c) retrieving the information, or a document which may contain the information, and

(d) extracting the information from a document containing it.

(4) To the extent to which any of the costs which a public authority takes into account are attributable to the time which persons undertaking any of the activities mentioned in paragraph (3) on behalf of the authority are expected to spend on those activities, those costs are to be estimated at a rate of £25 per person per hour.

So yes they can charge you !! £25 pounds per person per hour ! :eek:

LOL, should definately put a stop to any misuse of the system, unless you are rich and feel like being a nuiscance! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Will

so we can have freedom of information charged at £25 per person per hour?

Now that doesn't sound very free to me :)

Andy

This is slightly misleading - There is no charge for the first 12 (?) hours of work done on each enquiry.

So for something as simple as this, it will take no time at all.

Charging for the information would certainly not be in the spirit of the act - it is not the same as the Data Protection Act (where there is a basic scale of charges for most public bodies).

Other than the obvious mischief potential, this act opens up your entitlement to find out about decision making in all sorts of public bodies.

Think - planning, environment, health, Police, Fire, roads, transport, taxation...

;)

SimonsMerc said:
Actually, according to http://www.met.police.uk/information/ you have to contact [email protected] who deal with your query.

I'm eagerly awaiting the results of a query I mailed them....at 00:01 on 01/01/2005 :)

-simon

And whats more.....

...You don't actually have to send it to THEIR nominated point of contact.

In theory you should be able to contact ANY representitive and get the reply.

So. Ask the local school caretaker how many red pencils the education authority bought last year - The Authority have at that point recieved your request and have 20 working days to reply!! (Now, do you think the Caretaker knows their responsibility here?!)

Not yet sure what the sanctions are for failing to reply...

:rolleyes:

Basic write up on FOI which is helpful

http://www.cfoi.org.uk/gdnarticle141204.html

Note power of Ministers to veto release of anything they fancy even if FOI Commissioner has found in your favour.

Wonderful to note that the FOI Act was passed in November 2000 following yet another election campaign promise but was endlessly delayed to allow all Government Departments and others impacted to "fully prepare". Ho ho.

http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/20000036.htm

I work as a contractor for the NHS and I see a lot of panic about FOI. If someone asks ME for any information I will tell them to get stuffed and to speak to the guy that signs my timesheets :) .

Instructions have gone out to all employees to delete e-mails older than 3 months and destroy any data that isn't essential :) . If the data isn't there then we won't be able to provide it I guess...

it might be free for the first 12 hours - but who says that it takes them less than 12 hours - they could sy that it takes 24 hours of digging through filing cabinets - thus a huuuge charge.

anyone fancy contacting Mark Thomas (he of the "trying to export a tank registered as an ice cream van" fame (he also went into a McDonalds drive-thu... they got v upset)

guydewdney said:
anyone fancy contacting Mark Thomas
I still have his "Secret Map Of Britain" on my TiVo from 2 years ago!

Shude said:
[Instructions have gone out to all employees to delete e-mails older than 3 months and destroy any data that isn't essential :) . If the data isn't there then we won't be able to provide it I guess...

Well, well. That is particularly surprising given that people have gone to prison in this country for issuing instructions much like the infamous "Tidy up the files" email in the Enron scandal.

Wonder what the National Audit Office would have to say about wilful destruction of an Audit Trail.

Satch said:
Well, well. That is particularly surprising given that people have gone to prison in this country for issuing instructions much like the infamous "Tidy up the files" email in the Enron scandal.

Wonder what the National Audit Office would have to say about wilful destruction of an Audit Trail.
This is what appeared in an e-mail:

"The Freedom of Information Act does NOT demand that we keep everything nor does it demand that we keep information in any particular format. Further guidance on the removal of superfluous e-mail will be issued toward the end of January. In the meantime, please read the guidance already available on the intranet."

Shude said:
This is what appeared in an e-mail:

"The Freedom of Information Act does NOT demand that we keep everything nor does it demand that we keep information in any particular format. Further guidance on the removal of superfluous e-mail will be issued toward the end of January. In the meantime, please read the guidance already available on the intranet."

Dead right - the act doesn't demand that. I think the point was that the AUDIT office might..... :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom