Freelander 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
Thinking of getting one... anyone has any info / views / opinion / advice ?

(the Merc stays)

Yep a very competent piece of kit I nearly bought one myself, much better than the original version and more class and presence, a good off road performance, comfy but expensive. Makes more sense than a BMW X3 space in the back is a bit tight but OK except on a long run. HSE models are fully loaded but lower XS and GS models still offer plenty of kit. Best engine by a mile is the higher power 2.2 turbo and whilst I dont normally say this the auto box which I think is 6 speed is well suited to this car.

Last edited:
Are you looking new or second hand?

I had a look at some second hand ones and decided an Auto HSE would have to be the one to go for but very rare.

The basic one look...erm... Basic. Some not even 4wd..

I had the previous version (Td4) but never got to the point of driving one.

Might try to bag a good deal on the outgoing model then (new), or just get a second hand one.

What's odd is that in spite of apparently having just one engine (albeit in two states of tune), the trim level differences account for a wide range of prices from £20+k to almost £40k?

Looking at new low-spec S with the milder 2.2 diesel 150bhp engine and auto gearbox at around £26k.

Also considering higher-spec secondhand.

^ I could not get my head round a Freelander at £40K

I know they have come on a lot since the one I had, but back them the TD4 Sport Premium was the best they did and that cost me £21K

Like you prices vary all over the place, one of the best I spotted was a petrol 3.2V6.... loaded with every option sure it was a LR demo car. Depending on your miles it may not be too bad?

Would you consider an ML (being a merc forum... :)

I would. My wife however won't :)

After a shaky start to life, the Freelander has gone from strength to strength.

My wife's friend has a 58 plate HSE and the only thing that has gone wrong has been an ignition switch sensor thingy. It's used to tow horse boxes and does get used off-road which it handles with ease.

I've contemplated one before now but they're a tad too small for my tribe...

^ I could not get my head round a Freelander at £40K

I know they have come on a lot since the one I had, but back them the TD4 Sport Premium was the best they did and that cost me £21K

Like you prices vary all over the place, one of the best I spotted was a petrol 3.2V6.... loaded with every option sure it was a LR demo car. Depending on your miles it may not be too bad?

Would you consider an ML (being a merc forum... :)

High milage not an issue, our second car does 2000 miles a year of thereabouts... the Freelancer will replace a 2005 car with 15k miles on the clock. So not a problem to buy something with even 40-50k.

Where did you spot the 3.2 petrol?

Avoid the S it has nothing on it at all argot rid of ours because of the spec issues, you need at least a GS

A few weeks ago I ended up with a 2 month old F2 GS for 4 days as a courtesy car. It was black with privacy glass and did look very nice, inside it had the newer heater controls/stereo. It didn't have nav and the small display screen in its place did look a little odd.

Having got over the initial urge to test the performance I reset the computer and was averaging approx 34mpg when it went back. The majority of the miles were on A roads so I was slightly disappointed with that figure, it was a manual with the Eco function as well. I'd have had about 30mpg in my Disco which is auto and was expecting 40+ in the F2, maybe the mpg would improve as the engine loosened up.

Driving it was nice enough though and it did get the seal of approval from wifey. I did consider getting one myself before I settled on the Disco. Having attended one of the Land Rover Experience Days at their site in Honiton where I spent the morning in an F2 on the off road course I can say they are more than capable on the rough stuff.

Have you considered the special edition black/white models they're doing at the minute? I think they start around £22k with a few extras fitted.

Mpg not a concern. But this is probably the result of an ancient engine as can be seen from the very high CO2 figures (and £280 VED for a 2.2L diesel is not very impressive either).

Will check the Limited Edition offer, thanks.

Like you prices vary all over the place, one of the best I spotted was a petrol 3.2V6.... loaded with every option sure it was a LR demo car.

In the Freelander 2, the petrol is an in-line 6 (hence I6 badging) shared with the post '07 XC90 - not hugely torquey, but revs to nearly 7k and is very refined (we had one). Ford spent a fortune developing this engine (it's more compact than the old Volvo 5 cylinder unit) and they also do a smaller bore 3.0litre version in what is now the T6.

Thinking of getting one... anyone has any info / views / opinion / advice ?

(the Merc stays)

Spooky...just looking at one for the wide to replace the Touran. The guy I bought the Touran from replaced it with a FL2 HST which he has just offered me which is very nice.

Anyone any idea of price. It is a 58 plate HST with 58k miles and good spec with most toys?

Would you consider the Disco or RRS, or too big?.

rockits said:
Spooky...just looking at one for the wide to replace the Touran. The guy I bought the Touran from replaced it with a FL2 HST which he has just offered me which is very nice.

Anyone any idea of price. It is a 58 plate HST with 58k miles and good spec with most toys?

16k will get you a nice one from a trader with the same mileage, 15k for the 70/90,000 milers. For a private sale maybe 2/2.5k less?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom