Freelander TD4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmy

MB Enthusiast
Car
Discovery 3 TDV6, Discovery 300TDi - Plaything!
Has anybody got any long term experience with a Landrover Freelander. I know the early petrol's had problems and the 2.0Di were supposed to be rough. The TD4 seems swift enough, very comfortable just wondered if there were any long term owners here?

got the 2.5 V6 on 2000 X in GS trim. What you after ?

One of my work collegues has one. He traded his Disco for it and is very happy.
He deliberately avoided buying a Di because his dealer service dept told him they were problematic and rough.

Jimmy, when you said you wanted a proper full size ride on mower I had no idea you wanted such luxury. :D

I have had the use of one today, a TD4, 5Dr station wagon, very impressed, reluctant to give it back tomorrow. I have had 2 Disco's in the past, the second let me down badly several times and cost lots of money, thats why I ask what the Freelander is like for reliability.

It has much more room for rear passengers but less boot space than the C-Class, they claim an average of 37mpg, I could probably get down to 25mpg long term!!

A few months ago I was thinking of changing mine for an A4 or A6 but the price difference was too big, the Freelanders seem to be quite affordable with 2002/2003 models being easily within my reach if I could get a reasonable amount for mine.

Are they comfortable for long journeys, servicing costs is not an issue and I presume insurance will be cheaper.

What has really made me think is that other people on here are buying C250TD estates for around £4.5-£6K, if thats the case I wanna get rid of mine before it loses me even more money, if it goes down in value anymore I will have to keep it forever. I lost a packet on my first MB, evidently because it was green and a C180 without aircon, I paid a premium for mine because it is a diesel, estate with leather but perhaps nobody wants them anymore?

Has anybody tried selling a car privately lately? Where is the best place to advetise?

Jimmy

We have a 2003 TD4 Freelander 5 door (ES). My wife uses it 90% of the time and although it's only done 20,000 it's been absolutely no problem whatsoever. Just had a second service - which I thought was a bit steep at £370 - but the first service was cheap and the only warranty work it's been in for is a leaking fog light cover (full of rainwater).

It's great to drive, the engine as you know is greatly improved and pulls well, and the inside is not too bad either. Not exactly Range Rover style but with the leather interior it's a comfortable place to be. I reckon it does about 32-35 mpg, although that's mainly short journeys - it will do more. I've had it up to 110mph (ahem, in Germany officer) and it felt very sure even at that speed.

All in all it's been a hassle free experience during our 2 years of ownership and my wife seems more than happy to drive it everyday.

Jimmy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom