Freemasons equipment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Darrell

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
Car
Gixxer 6, Citroen Berlingo, 911 C4S, Dacia Duster and lots of bicycles.
I know this subject can be a bit touchy but let's see how it goes.
We've been tasked with the job to clear out my dads stuff and amongst his belongings is a Freemasons case. What shall I do with it?
My dad wasn't a Mason so I don't know where it came from.

I'd find out who is the legal owner now and ask them what you'd like to do with it, it may be that you are the legal owner for instance... then again you may not be?

WDB124066 said:
I'd find out who is the legal owner now and ask them what you'd like to do with it, it may be that you are the legal owner for instance... then again you may not be?
I'll need to have a nose through to see if there is any paperwork.

Mmmm, revert to post #2...?

Was there a goat in the box? I'm pretty sure after such a long time it would be deceased and a tad manky. Also the rolled up trouser leg will be a bugger to iron after so long!

If you take it to the local Masonic Hall, they will deal with it for you. If you can't find your local Masonic Hall, you should be able to get the information from the following link

United Grand Lodge of England - General Enquiries

If there is a Master's Collar or a Past Master's Jewel, they will most likely belong to a Lodge. Everything else will be personal property, but often old Regalia and cases can be passed to other Brothers for reuse. At my local Masonic Hall, (Southport) there is a Brother who refurbishes old regalia and sells if for charity.

It may be that your Dad inherited it all - if so it could be quite old and many Masonic Halls have display cases for the older and more unusual items.

Feel free to PM me if you need.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.
I'm actually rather into the Freemason history.
My dad was always against it. He was approached many times at the golf club and in various business scenarios.
I've got absolutely no idea where the stuff came from and now my 11 year old daughter and her pesky mates have thwarted my afternoons investigations.

Looks like a Steward's jewel (on the left) - these were given to Masons who donated above a certain amount to a Festival. I can't identify the particular festival - so this jewel might be a welcome item for a display in a Masonic Hall.

The apron is that of a Master Mason. There's loads of these on eBay.

The little blue book contains the non-secret bits only.

I'm unsure what is in the little black leather case.

In general, it all looks like personal property so IMHO you should be able to dispose of it as you see fit (assuming you are the executor).

Hi,
If you look at the summonses (the invites/agendas for each lodge meeting) it should give the name, address and phone number of the secretary of the lodge mentioned on them.
You could always give him a ring and he would likely come and take the case and contents off your hands and will recycle them for his lodge.
There doesn't look like anything particularly old or special in the case, from the photo you posted.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom